CalDigit TS3 Plus - running hot

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I purchased a CalDigit TS3 Plus to run my 2017 MacBook Pro along with my ASUS MX27U monitor along with an external HD.  I've noticed that the MBP seemed to be running hot and could feel noticeable heat at the port.  Its now hot enough the my MBP started shutting down when I use the CalDigit.  Everything seems to run normally when I take the CalDigit out of the mix?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Or did I maybe just get a defective unit?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Douro said:
    I purchased a CalDigit TS3 Plus to run my 2017 MacBook Pro along with my ASUS MX27U monitor along with an external HD.  I've noticed that the MBP seemed to be running hot and could feel noticeable heat at the port.  Its now hot enough the my MBP started shutting down when I use the CalDigit.  Everything seems to run normally when I take the CalDigit out of the mix?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Or did I maybe just get a defective unit?
    Sorry, that should be 2018 MBP.  My software version is 10.13.6 and Thunderbolt version is 30.2.  It appears there may be a Thunderbolt update, but the computer will not allow me to update it (last update was 9/4/2018).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Douro said:
    Douro said:

Sorry, that should be 2018 MBP.  My software version is 10.13.6 and Thunderbolt version is 30.2.  It appears there may be a Thunderbolt update, but the computer will not allow me to update it (last update was 9/4/2018).
    Any Thunderbolt port when in use generates local heat in the vicinity of the TB3 port. It did on my 2016, and does with my 2018.

That said, if I were you, I'd talk to CalDigit about it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I checked CalDigit (that's where I found the info about about upgrading the Thunderbolt port).  They won't do anything until the port is updated.  The device is just over a month old, so I have 11 months left on the warranty.  I found some workarounds on updating the port, but all a vague PITA (do this 2-3x, then do this 2-3x sort of thing).  Working through those now as I have time.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I got this resolved.  Jumped through a bunch of hoops and finally contacted Apple Support.  they had me upgrade to Mojave 10.14 (not available using the upgrade button).  After the upgrade, they had me reset the SMC.

Its been three days and no problems since.  Bonus:  The case no longer feels hot at the port.

Just FYI - YMMV.