Installation rate for iOS 12 slightly trailing iOS 11 in first 48 hours after release

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2018
One in ten iOS devices have been updated to run iOS 12 in the first 48 hours after its public release, according to data from one analytics firm, with the adoption rate putting the latest version of Apple's mobile system slightly behind that of the previous milestone release, iOS 11.

The release of a new iOS version typically leads to a flood of users acquiring it as an update for their existing iPhone or iPad, or following the company's annual September event, through buying a new iPhone. According to the data collected by analytics firm Mixpanel, the early results of the release are following a well-worn path for installations.

According to Mixpanel's iOS adoption graph, 2.8 percent of all iOS devices measured by the firm had iOS 12 installed on September 17, the day of its release. It is unclear exactly what time in the day the data is counted from, and the figure may also include people who installed the beta version in days beforehand, which the chart suggests makes up 1.13 percent of all devices.

Approximately 24 hours after release, iOS 12 installations hit 7.83 percent, followed by 10.38 percent the next day.

For iOS 11, the data indicates it was on 1.58 percent of devices on Sept. 18, 2017, the day before its release, then the total rose to 4.14 percent percent on the day of release, 11.29 percent the next day, and 15.91 percent two days after launch. On face value, this suggests iOS 12 is shifting at a slower rate when compared to the previous release.

It is unclear how reliable the data is, as details such as the timing of each day's count could affect the reported results, while the sourcing of the data is likely to be sourced externally from Apple, adding more ambiguity. Even so, the data does at least indicate that there is a level of installations for iOS 12 in roughly the same ballpark as iOS 11, at least this shortly after its release.

Apple does occasionally issue adoption rate updates, based on data collected by iPhones contacting the App Store and the company's other services, allowing it to be extremely accurate with its own results. According to its most-recent published results on Sept. 3, iOS 11 made up 85 percent of all iOS-compatible devices, while iOS 10 was running on 10 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I think that more and more people are waking up to the fact that it pays to wait a few days after release before installing, so as to clear out some unintended bugs, server delays, crashing, etc. that many software updates have been prone to.

I always wait at least one week. With all Apple software updates.
    space2001mike1gilly017muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Testify! Let others test it for me and wait for the point release.
    claire1
  • Reply 3 of 33
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Instead of percentages, how about a user count? Could the lower adoption numbers year after year have something to do with the fact the the installed base continues to expand? I think so. This may be even more true if there are a lot more new users to iOS - those that come from other platforms where they never really saw updates on any kind of regular schedule.

I don't know how many times I've asked someone if they've updated and they were completely oblivious to it.
    dewmelolliverSpamSandwichredgeminipaclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    I was testing iOS 12 public beta from the beginning and must admit it was the best experience I've had with any iOS before it.
    dewmejbdragonlollivergilly017MisterKitSpamSandwichappleheadredgeminipaclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I think that more and more people are waking up to the fact that it pays to wait a few days after release before installing, so as to clear out some unintended bugs, server delays, crashing, etc. that many software updates have been prone to.

I too usually wait about week. Planning on doing it this weekend. Haven't heard of any issues so far.
    edited September 2018 lollivergilly017appleheadclaire1
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Maybe because some people like myslf click hundreds of times on "update" button and nothing happens. Not even error message and no bar with "downloading" info. Perhaps again developers at Apple should take a look what they screw up or not tested in that upgrade process on iOS and on iTunes. Well this is how it works (or more does not work) on iPhone 5s. This may be the case on other iPhones as well. And if this is problem with servers on Apple side then maybe company should account for peaks and increase connectivity and scale at least temporarily when everybody knows event will generate huge need. Don't we have cloud solutions for this kind of scenario?
    edited September 2018 claire1
  • Reply 7 of 33
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    For privacy and security's sake, it's long past time iOS let users disable Internet access on an app-by-app basis, like we can do on the Mac with Little Snitch and such (although it doesn't have to be so technical as LS).
    For instance, I see no reason why many 3rd party health-related apps need Internet access. A health app can just load its data into Apple's Health app and be done.
    Apps can be denied access to Location services, but if they connect to 3rd party servers over the Internet, the IP address of the iOS device exposes the user's general, if not specific, location anyway.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 8 of 33
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    mistergsf said:
    I was testing iOS 12 public beta from the beginning and must admit it was the best experience I've had with any iOS before it.
    I've had a similar experience. The iOS 12 beta versions were more stable on my test platforms than any version of iOS 11. I seem to recall that in the past Apple would squeeze in one or two last-minute features that took advantage of the newly announced hardware. That probably had a destabilizing effect that we're not experiencing with iOS 12. The GM and public release of iOS 12 are indistinguishable from the last couple of betas, which were very solid.
    jbdragonlolliverappleheadclaire1
  • Reply 9 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I waited a day, then updated everything, including some devices still on ios10
    lolliverclaire1
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Author mentioned “...flood of users...”. I wonder if the drop in uptake is because of the real life floods and people are not in their houses.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 33
    I generally wait a couple hours, because the Fandroids at some other sites will be all over any little issue and posting all their hate everywhere. You can't miss it.

But I installed the Public Beta a couple weeks ago as it was well stable by then and it's been problem free sense then.

Actually I'm surprised it's not being downloaded like crazy. It's the first iOS version in quite some time that is quite Stable right from the start, and in what I don't think has ever happened in a past iOS version, it runs faster on your older hardware!!! You really can't ask for a better iOS update!!! It also supports more older devices than ever before.

What could people possibly be waiting for at this point? GO GET IT NOW!!!!!! It's great on my iPad,and it's great on my iPhone 6. Though I am upgrading this year to a XS as I upgrade every 4 years.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I installed it on my 5s on day one, and it has been working great so far. Performance is as advertised, though I am unable to test features that require newer hardware. 
    I highly recommend it to the 5s crowd.
    lolliverAlex1NmattinozSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I'm betting that some of it has to do with kids not wanting Screen Time on their devices. A lot of kids know about it and aren't happy about what it might mean if parents decide to turn on restrictions. I asked my kids to update to iOS 12 and neither of them did it for that reason. I, of course, did it for them after the fact :smile: 
    lolliverfastasleepAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Despite the actual performance of iOS 12, there are a lot of people out there who still firmly believe in the "planned obsolescence" conspiracy against them, the intentional slowing of iPhones to cover up flaws in the battery, flat earth, etc. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    From iOS 7 I waited until the x.1 update, but after reading about the wide consensus about the stability of the 12 betas - and the claims that there was a significant UI speed increase especially for older phones (I',m not sure that my 7 Plus comes into that category), I decided to download the update within hours of it landing, both of the iPad and the 2018 iPad. So far, so good: I'm well pleased :). The phone is a lot more responsive, and there has been a bit of tweaking of the keyboard and also the predictive text bar and its hotspots on the phone, such that I am no longer ending up with quite so much weird messages. And the Homepod firmware update to 12.0 via the phone was seamless and FAST!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    I haven't even gotten a push notification on any device to promote the update. If I go to software update it's there but no badge.
    Could be Apple are staging roll up waiting till week end to give people time to back up and such first.

That would lower adoption.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    hexclock said:
    I installed it on my 5s on day one, and it has been working great so far. Performance is as advertised, though I am unable to test features that require newer hardware. 
    I highly recommend it to the 5s crowd.
    Did you do a clean install or just straight upgrade?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    iOS 12 has been great so far, very smooth n all the animations and UI feels natural 🤩. It’s like iOS 11 was having a fever or something since past few months 😬 Though I did notice some glitches on iPad and iPhone such as with app limits (keyboard screen missing sometimes and on the iPad tab bar coming right in the middle which looks weird) other than that everything is super cool. Love the screen time as I’m controlling my iPhone usage and my sons on his iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

This. x10. I'm still having issues with iOS 11. No matter how much they beta test, there will be undiscovered bugs. Hopefully fewer than iOS 11, but regardless, I'm happy to let all the people who feel the need to update immediately discover them for me.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 33
    I usually update as soon as it comes out. Got to say it’s nice to see how finished it is. As most testify iOS 11 was buggy as hell. Phone is snappier and scrolling and app response is better. Im loving it most on my iPad Pro. Admittedly, it’s not perfect some apps are stalling and having some hiccups. But I suspect it might be a developer issue in my particular case. Will see as things progress. 
    watto_cobra