Installation rate for iOS 12 slightly trailing iOS 11 in first 48 hours after release

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I think that more and more people are waking up to the fact that it pays to wait a few days after release before installing, so as to clear out some unintended bugs, server delays, crashing, etc. that many software updates have been prone to.

I always wait at least one week. With all Apple software updates.
    There is absolutely NO evidence to infer this from the first 48 hours. This is you spinning it to confirm your personal bias and that’s all.
    ericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Maybe because some people like myslf click hundreds of times on "update" button and nothing happens. Not even error message and no bar with "downloading" info. Perhaps again developers at Apple should take a look what they screw up or not tested in that upgrade process on iOS and on iTunes. Well this is how it works (or more does not work) on iPhone 5s. This may be the case on other iPhones as well. And if this is problem with servers on Apple side then maybe company should account for peaks and increase connectivity and scale at least temporarily when everybody knows event will generate huge need. Don't we have cloud solutions for this kind of scenario?
    Utter blathering nonsense. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Just today I asked about 5 friends with iOS devices if they had updated to version 12 yet. Not one of them even knew there was a new version. Baffling. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I think that more and more people are waking up to the fact that it pays to wait a few days after release before installing, so as to clear out some unintended bugs, server delays, crashing, etc. that many software updates have been prone to.

Generally a great guideline for OS updaters. For my money, this is a really solid update and I’m very pleased with all of the little refinements I’m seeing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    iOS 12 is sweet :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    I got used to advising people to wait a few months before installing a new version of iOS. With iOS 12, I feel like standing on the street corner with a bullhorn yelling "INSTALL iOS 12 TODAY!!!" Apple hit a grand slam with 12.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    I see that Apple has moved the time away from the middle of the iPad screen. Is that to prepare us for the upcoming notch?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Any figures from an analytics firm should be taken with a whole bucketful of salt. 

However, I suspect this is true because a lot of folk won’t bother to upgrade when their shiny new iPhones will arrive with the latest OS preinstalled. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 33
    mattinoz said:
    hexclock said:
    I installed it on my 5s on day one, and it has been working great so far. Performance is as advertised, though I am unable to test features that require newer hardware. 
    I highly recommend it to the 5s crowd.
    Did you do a clean install or just straight upgrade?
    I installed it through iTunes, after backing up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    lkrupp said:

There is absolutely NO evidence to infer this from the first 48 hours. This is you spinning it to confirm your personal bias and that’s all.
    Did you read the title of this article??? 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    The last few iOS versions were released on Tuesday or Wednesday, and iOS 12 was released on Monday. I imagine that could affect the installation activity.

I usually wait a while, too, but I had good experiences with the developer betas and went ahead and installed yesterday. This is the first major iOS release that didn't require weeks of development time to work around bugs and maintain compatibility with basic iOS frameworks. In fact, I haven't yet seen a problem that iOS caused in my apps. Whew! I can certainly use that time to work on other things.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 33
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    jbdragon said:
    I generally wait a couple hours, because the Fandroids at some other sites will be all over any little issue and posting all their hate everywhere. You can't miss it.

But I installed the Public Beta a couple weeks ago as it was well stable by then and it's been problem free sense then.

Actually I'm surprised it's not being downloaded like crazy. It's the first iOS version in quite some time that is quite Stable right from the start, and in what I don't think has ever happened in a past iOS version, it runs faster on your older hardware!!! You really can't ask for a better iOS update!!! It also supports more older devices than ever before.

What could people possibly be waiting for at this point? GO GET IT NOW!!!!!! It's great on my iPad,and it's great on my iPhone 6. Though I am upgrading this year to a XS as I upgrade every 4 years.
    Yet their knockoffs never receive updates. I've actually heard these idiots argue that "Apple sucks because they update their software".....

"Actually I'm surprised it's not being downloaded like crazy."

Actually it is. 10% in 48 hours is phenomenal. It's just Apple so we get used to phenomenal record-breaking numbers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 33
    My upgrades usually occur when I try to hit the "not now" button and get the "install now" instead.
    muthuk_vanalingam