Apple Music now supports Android Auto, song search by lyrics

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Wednesday updated the Android version of its Apple Music streaming app, introducing support for Android Auto and song search by lyrics, the latter being a feature just introduced with iOS 12.

Apple Music
Source: Android Police

The latest Apple Music update for Android delivers long-awaited support for Android Auto, Google's option for interfacing handsets running its mobile operating system with in-car infotainment systems. A beta version of the app with similar functionality arrived late last month.

Like Apple Music for iOS, which provides support for CarPlay, the Android iteration allows users to play tunes through an Android Auto-enabled infotainment system. Playback controls are accessible directly through the head unit, though actions are limited to basic operations.

In addition to Android Auto integration, the updated Apple Music app includes a search by lyrics feature that debuted with iOS 12 on Monday. Instead of limiting song searches to titles, artists and albums, the added functionality lets users enter snippets of remembered lyrics, which are matched with Apple Music's database.

A voice activated version of the same feature was added to HomePod in a software update that rolled out alongside iOS 12.

The new Android update also introduces Friends Mix, which creates a playlist of songs inspired by friends' listening habits, and Apple Music's Top 100 charts.

Finally, Apple Music for Android now takes advantage of refined Artist Pages. Apple earlier this month introduced a reorganized user interface for artist collections that separates albums, singles, EPs, compilations and other content into distinct categories, making it easier to find specific works.

Apple Music for Android is a free 42MB download from the Google Play store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    That's a good idea. Not every car you get into going to have Carplay. it may be Android Auto only. Besides, if Apple is letting in Google Maps and Waze into Carplay, it's only fair Apple Music gets into Android Auto.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jbdragon said:
    That's a good idea. Not every car you get into going to have Carplay. it may be Android Auto only. Besides, if Apple is letting in Google Maps and Waze into Carplay, it's only fair Apple Music gets into Android Auto.
    1) Has this ever been a limitation by Alphabet? I thought it was Apple that had limited 3rd-party apps on CarPlay -and- Apple that choose not to include Apple Music on Android Auto until now.

2) I hope that one day that the data transmission protocols for CarPlay and Android Auto become standardized so that any OS will effectively be able to connect into a car's infotainment center for a display with touchscreen, and button access.
    edited September 2018 gatorguy
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Soli said:
    jbdragon said:
    1) Has this ever been a limitation by Alphabet? I thought it was Apple that had limited 3rd-party apps on CarPlay -and- Apple that choose not to include Apple Music on Android Auto until now.

2) I hope that one day that the data transmission protocols for CarPlay and Android Auto become standardized so that any OS will effectively be able to connect into a car's infotainment center for a display with touchscreen, and button access.
    I’m surprised we have come that far at all. For many years car OEMs have done everything they could to fully control the car infotainment world by making it harder and harder for third party equipment to fit in reason being simply the profit on the - usually subpar when compared on same price level - OEM solutions. Well, they’re starting to get back their share by introducing yearly subscription fees for CarPlay/android auto to work (eg BMW). 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    To the best of my knowledge (having researched new cars for about a year now), there is no such thing as an Android Auto-only car. I'm pleased that Apple made the decision to do this -- there are a lot of "mixed platform" households (however insane that idea sounds to some of us!) and this smoothes that out and increases brand awareness of Apple outside the (very large) Apple Bubble.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Nice for the 3 iKnockoff users who can afford a car!

Soli said:
    jbdragon said:

The reality is that iPhone owners can usually afford a car so CarPlay is gonna dominate in this space. This is the future "AppleWatch".

A lot of radio ads don't even mentions android auto anymore. They usually say something like "get your new stereo with Apple CarPlay now!!"
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Good step. I'd also like a web player and more native apps everywhere (i.e Spotify can work on my PS4 and just about everywhere else), if it's going to be priced like spotify. 

My Chromebook also has Android apps but apparently not the higher level Android feature level Music uses, so no go there, a web player would solve that. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    claire1 said:
    Nice for the 3 iKnockoff users who can afford a car!

Soli said:
    jbdragon said:

The reality is that iPhone owners can usually afford a car so CarPlay is gonna dominate in this space. This is the future "AppleWatch".

A lot of radio ads don't even mentions android auto anymore. They usually say something like "get your new stereo with Apple CarPlay now!!"
    It might be what you're interested in is what you hear.  You have no interst in Android Auto so the mention of it might not get your attention.  In general I recall Apple Carplay and Android Auto both referred to in commercials. But that's what I might expect to hear as I'm interested in both so there's that. :)