USB-C Philips Brilliance 4K monitor offers docking features including gigabit networking

Posted:
in General Discussion
Philips has launched a new 32-inch 4K Ultra HD monitor aimed at creative professionals, one that acts as a USB-C docking station for a MacBook or MacBook Pro, as well as display features like HDR support and a mode that reduces blue light.

The Philips Brilliance monitor, model number 328P6VUBREB, is a 32-inch monitor with a 3840 by 2160 resolution at 60Hz, with a 4-millisecond response time. Offering up to 600 nits of brightness at its peak and a 3000:1 contrast ratio, the screen offers 12-bit internal processing and is based on a 10-bit panel, allowing it to reproduce 1.07 billion colors.

The screen also includes support for high dynamic range (HDR) for a more vivid image. To help with comfort, the "LowBlue Mode" can reduce the amount of blue light rays that are emitted from the screen, light which can cause damage to a user's eyes over time, and can even affect their sleep schedule.

The screen is mounted to a "SmartErgoBase" that offers 170 degrees of swivel between -5 to 20 degrees of tilt, can be rotated 90 degrees to a portrait orientation, and up to 7.1 inches of heigh adjustment.

At the same time as being a monitor, Philips has given the display enough functionality to make it a USB-C dock. Connecting to a device over USB-C with 60W power delivery for recharging with USB PD Version 2.0, it also includes a DisplayPort 1.4 input, two HDMI 2.0 inputs, and four USB 3.0 ports, with one offering fast charging capabilities for mobile devices.

To take advantage of the display inputs, the monitor's MultiView mode enables for two video sources to be used at the same time, allowing for two computers to be connected for multitasking, or even video from a media player.

Rounding out its connectivity options, there are microphone and headphone ports for audio, 3-Watt stereo speakers, and a Gigabit Ethernet port.

Philips will start shipping the Brilliance 328P6VUBREB in Europe from November, priced at 559 ($740) in the United Kingdom. Pricing and availability in the United States and other markets has yet to be announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Is it an Adobe RGB color space or just SRGB?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    How does this compare to the LG Apple sells in their stores? I was terribly unimpressed with the cheap plastic housing on that monitor. Does the Phillips have a nicer metal case?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Forst of all, Is this professional graphic monitor or regular consumer monitor? Philips has never been into professional graphic business and theyir consumer monitors were rather low quality. I care little baout materials, apperance of case - that is not furniture for show. I care about display picture quality.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Who design these things?! It looks like a 90's monitor. Good functionality, but I'm definitely think twice before buying...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Forst of all, Is this professional graphic monitor or regular consumer monitor? 
    In the first sentence it says it is aimed at creative professionals. The specs sound pretty sweet. I'd be surprised if the case is not plastic. On the Philips site it says the finish is textured.
    wlym
  • Reply 6 of 11
    This is a fail for people with 15” MacBook Pros. This maximum power this will deliver is 60 watts. If you plug in an external monitor it automatically engages the discrete GPU and thereby requiring the full 87 watt charging capacity. Do anything even a little CPU intensive and your battery will slowly drain while using it. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    payeco said:
    This is a fail for people with 15” MacBook Pros. This maximum power this will deliver is 60 watts. If you plug in an external monitor it automatically engages the discrete GPU and thereby requiring the full 87 watt charging capacity. Do anything even a little CPU intensive and your battery will slowly drain while using it. 
    Partially correct.

If you use the MBP next to this display, lid open, it won't maintain a 100% charge. However, if you shut the lid, and go into clamshell mode, it will not just maintain the charge with the 60W, but will slowly charge the battery as well.
    paisleydiscoEric_WVGGpayecoRayz2016wlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Wake me when it's an IPS panel, not VA.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    They do make a 42" one that is IPS but it doesn't have USB-C.

https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/BDM4350UC_69/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display/specifications
  • Reply 10 of 11
    payeco said:
    Partially correct.

If you use the MBP next to this display, lid open, it won't maintain a 100% charge. However, if you shut the lid, and go into clamshell mode, it will not just maintain the charge with the 60W, but will slowly charge the battery as well.
    You’re right, I didn’t even think about using it with the lid closed because I leave my lid open with my 15” with an external display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    volcan said:
    They do make a 42" one that is IPS but it doesn't have USB-C.

https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/BDM4350UC_69/brilliance-4k-ultra-hd-lcd-display/specifications
    The thing attracting me to this Philips is the 600 nit brightness so, while the 42 is attractive, it's not going to cut it if you're used to 500 nit or more (the 42 has a rating of 300 nit). 

One of the reasons I picked up a couple of 22" LG UltraFines (refurbs at around $290 each) was to get the brightness I have with the iMac (22" 4K 2017). I tried using it with my older LG 34" ultrawide but it was tough going back & forth between the two, the iMac being so sharp & bright and the LG 34, while a damn nice display, just looking dim next to it. 

And I agree with Payeco re/charging capabilities. For the longest time, that LG 34 I mention was an external display to my 2013 MacBook Pro. Having two screens, even if one of them has some serious real estate, is still better than a single screen. Not making this (Philips display) able to charge a modern 15" MBP unless it's in clamshell seems like a pretty big handicap on my plus/minus list. 
    edited September 2018