Hands on: Google Maps in CarPlay fights Apple Maps for your dashboard

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Appleish said:
    An aside. So many apps are broken in CarPlay with iOS 12 now. Including the stock Apple Podcasts app.

SirusXM's app, which was marginal to use before, is completely broken.
    The stock Apple Audiobooks app is also broken for CarPlay, as is almost every 3rd party app that I have. Google Maps works fine, however.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    eightzero said:
    volcan said:
    I have Apple Car Play, but I have never turned it on. It requires a cable which I never have with me. The few times I've needed mapping I just used the factory built in system, for the most part I don't go anywhere - work, home, grocery store, school. All in a 5 mile radius. I can do that in my sleep. 
    This is fair. My apple devices have lots of features and functions I never use. But...i can imagine a situation where I am on my way to work, home, store, school and an emergency comes up and I'd like to ask Siri for directions to the nearest ER, police station, fire station.

I do agree I'd really value wireless CarPlay in my Ford on its sync 3 system.
    Will you bring the fire with you to the fire station ? /s
  • Reply 23 of 25
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Apple STEP YOUR GAME UP and you wouldn't have the need for 3rd party Maps.
    Embarrassing!
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jeromec said:
    I believe Google Maps already has offline maps.

Google Maps and Here we Go offer downloaded maps that don’t require a data plan. I use them to save data but I like Apple Maps, which also sends haptic feedback to my Apple Watch. This on an iPhone 7+ until tomorrow when I get the Max. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Looks like the microphone is dead on Honda Odyssey’s when using CarPlay Google Maps. Several complaints on odyclub.com. Other features OK but that is a big miss. Inconvenient at least, unsafe to be typing in on display. 

dsr1122 said:
    I tried out Google Maps on CarPlay this morning and had 2 issues:

1) the volume would always default to a “medium”-ish volume, even when I turned it down.  It would just reset itself next time the nav instructions came on.

2) speed limits are missing, despite the config option for them.  I toggled it a bunch, to no avail.

The 2nd issue isn’t a big issue, the first was incredibly annoying.  This was in a 2017 Honda CR-V