Huawei trolls Apple by handing out power banks to customers waiting in line for an iPhone ...

Posted:
in iPhone
Customers waiting in line to buy the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max became the subject of a marketing campaign from competitor Huawei, after representatives from the company handed out branded power banks to people camping outside of one Apple Store in Singapore.

The subversive marketing stunt saw Huawei gift people in line the portable power supplies, in boxes bearing the message "Here's a power bank. You'll need it." Mothership reports people wearing Huawei shirts were providing the power banks to people in the queue from 11pm on Thursday night, with approximately 200 units given to people outside Apple's flagship Orchard Road outlet.

According to the report, the power banks were worth S$80 ($59) each.

Huawei's backhanded gifts are an attempt at mocking the iPhone's supposedly small battery life, while also promoting the company's own hardware. While the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max have 2,658mAh and 3,174mAh batteries, Huawei's flagship P20 Pro has a larger 4,000mAh battery, though it is worth noting battery capacity does not directly translate to longer battery life due to varying degrees of power usage between devices.

The iPhone XS queue antics is the latest attempt by Apple's competitors to try and undermine the launch of a new iPhone via the queues and the customers themselves. The main culprit of such attempts is Samsung, who has a long history of attacking Apple in its marketing.

Shortly after the launch of the iPhone X in 2017, Samsung released a commercial called "Growing Up," which poked fun at the iPhone's innovations over its lifetime, as well as at people who stand in line for the newest model. In 2015, Samsung handed out blue cushions and water bottles with the tagline for its latest Galaxy device to people in queues in London, but seemingly with barely any impact.

In 2013, a Samsung film crew visited the Fifth Avenue Apple Store in Manhattan to film the lines, but rather than attempt to hawk the company's phones, the crew appeared to be documenting the event, asking questions to attendees about why they were here and probing the loyalty of Apple's fans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    Huawei is wasting their effort. These are hard-core iPhone users. They are not going to switch.
    ajlsupadav03muthuk_vanalingamchiajbdragonlostkiwiclaire1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    At least it was something those waiting in line might use. Agreed it won't result in switchers. 
    andrewj5790dragan0405argonaut
  • Reply 3 of 82

Retail price $59, but the raw cost price is maybe $5.
    I wonder if it supports fast charging. Huawei doesn't make many of their own products, I'm sure this is one such item.

I believe everyone here nothing less from these 2nd rate manufacturers.

jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 82
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Huawei is wasting their effort. These are hard-core iPhone users. They are not going to switch.
    Yes, but they're not trying to convince them. They want the free media coverage for those who might be on the fence.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed that Apple has not increased battery life for another year in a row, heck they actually decreased the battery in the XS against the X.

I cannot remember which poll it was, but it was a recent one, where it asked for the feature most people wanted in the next iPhone and the top answer was better battery life.
    WhiskeyAPPLEcidermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 82
    saarek said:
    Yes, but they're not trying to convince them. They want the free media coverage for those who might be on the fence.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed that Apple has not increased battery life for another year in a row, heck they actually decreased the battery in the XS against the X.

I cannot remember which poll it was, but it was a recent one, where it asked for the feature most people wanted in the next iPhone and the top answer was better battery life.
    What? What are you talking about? The iPhone X’s is rated for another 30 mins, and that phone was already pretty good. I went from charging halfway through the day with the 7 to making it the whole day  with the original x. And the Xr is even better!
    andrewj5790lostkiwiStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 82

I visited one Apple store in Hong Kong, there were zero outside lines, unlike years before. Just two guys who would try buy your phone hanging outside.
    Was about to buy in shop iWatch4 no problems with stock.

• Reply 7 of 82
    Power banks from Huawei? Probably a fire hazard. 
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderchiapscooter63racerhomie3lostkiwiStrangeDaysargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 82
    aimbdd said:
    saarek said:

What? What are you talking about? The iPhone X’s is rated for another 30 mins, and that phone was already pretty good. I went from charging halfway through the day with the 7 to making it the whole day  with the original x. And the Xr is even better!
    Apple has pulled a sleight of hand with the iPhone XS. The iPhone X has a battery rated at 2,716mAh and the iPhone XS is rated at 2,658mAh. Improvements of the CPU allow it to have performance on par with the X despite the drop.

Despite the promises of better battery life, you'll note that side by side the two are rated almost identically with the talk time actually down a whole hour on the XS!

Has it stopped me ordering the XS Max to replace my 6S Plus, no, it has not.

But I would apprecaite meaningfull battery life increases, if Apple put in a 4000mAh battery like a lot of their competitors do you'd probably find the average person could get up to two days worth of use on a single charge.
    WhiskeyAPPLEcidermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 82
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    saarek said:

Exactly. The media echo is the reason.  The power banks of course will be handy for any user and are 4.5v 5A Supercharge units. A nice freebie.

Apparently they are about to announce an important improvement in battery charging on 16th October with the Mate 20 Series.

Bigger batteries, even faster charging, wireless charging and reverse wired and wireless charging. There is even an outside chance of some new chemistry in the batteries.

Fast chargers will probably be included in the box.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 10 of 82
    I have battery banks and thumb drives and all sorts of stuff with vendor names and info on it.  Doesn't phase me a bit, doesn't drive me to do business with them.  Thanks for the free swag, succkers
    mainyehcminicoffeeargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Der Neid der Besitzlosen. I. This specific case, envy of lack of consumers queuing up for the new product. Or simply they don’t have enough cosutoners for their power banks?

in any case: Poor attempt to win the last brownie. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 82

Retail price $59, but the raw cost price is maybe $5.
    I wonder if it supports fast charging. Huawei doesn't make many of their own products, I'm sure this is one such item.

I believe everyone here nothing less from these 2nd rate manufacturers.

What do you think the mark up is on a pair of Beats headphones?
    muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 82
    Quite brilliant 
  • Reply 14 of 82
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Sweet! Line waiting swag. Throw in some t-shirts, thumb drives, branded lanyards, and Dilbert memorabilia and I may start getting in line even though I order online. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchiamainyehcargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 82
    saarek said:
    aimbdd said:
    saarek said:

Apple has pulled a sleight of hand with the iPhone XS. The iPhone X has a battery rated at 2,716mAh and the iPhone XS is rated at 2,658mAh. Improvements of the CPU allow it to have performance on par with the X despite the drop.

Despite the promises of better battery life, you'll note that side by side the two are rated almost identically with the talk time actually down a whole hour on the XS!

But I would apprecaite meaningfull battery life increases, if Apple put in a 4000mAh battery like a lot of their competitors do you'd probably find the average person could get up to two days worth of use on a single charge.
    Best comment of the week! Apple’s Max starts at $1100, the battery should def be larger. Other competitors have bigger batteries which I know doesn’t equate to longer battery life but it’s hard to call yourself MAX when others have bigger specs. 
    That’s not too bad of a let down but that 5W charger that comes with your premium “MAX” phone is a slap in the face to all of us. This phone costs more than most iPads the least you could give is a 10W iPad charger. But enough ranting for the day 🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️😩😩
  • Reply 16 of 82
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Obviously they haven't updated to iOS 12 because my battery life is now spectacular. Yesterday, my battery was at 62% after an entire day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 82
    saarek said:
    aimbdd said:
    saarek said:

Best comment of the week! Apple’s Max starts at $1100, the battery should def be larger. Other competitors have bigger batteries which I know doesn’t equate to longer battery life but it’s hard to call yourself MAX when others have bigger specs. 
    That’s not too bad of a let down but that 5W charger that comes with your premium “MAX” phone is a slap in the face to all of us. This phone costs more than most iPads the least you could give is a 10W iPad charger. But enough ranting for the day ߤ氟ヲzwj;♂️ߤ氟ヲzwj;♂️ߘ鰟試lt;/div>
    At least the phones now support faster wireless charging. The X can now achieve 7.5W, although I will never understand why they limitted it to 5W in the first place, and they state that the XS is faster, so I'm hoping that means 10W fast charge.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Nobody cares about some second tier phone manufacturer.
    claire1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Nobody cares about some second tier phone manufacturer.
    I'd not write them off just yet, they are gunning for Samsung and might well get there. Their phones are actually very good devices.