If your iPhone XS or Apple Watch pickup is delayed, you may just need to hold on until the...

Posted:
in iPhone
The Apple Store is advising some of its customers electing to pick up their iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max orders in-store that they are unable to do so first thing on Friday, due to "last minute logistical issues" that likely involves a delay or a shortfall of devices making it in time to the outlets. But, the delay may be for less than a day in most cases.

Apple Store pickup delay notice, received by an AppleInsider reader
Apple Store pickup delay notice, received by an AppleInsider reader

An email sent to affected customers by Apple advises "Unfortunately, due to some last minute logistical issues, your order will not be ready for pickup during your check-in time. As soon as your order is ready for pickup, we'll let you know via email."

The message goes on to apologize for the delay, and that the company is working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

The Apple Stores that AppleInsider contacted all reported that there were shipping issues at a rate "more than normal" leading to less-than-expected stock at opening. As a result, this appears to be leading to the notifications sent to some customers on Friday morning.

According to sources inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company, the number of people who can't pick up orders previously scheduled for Friday morning is still low, albeit higher than in previous years.

However, all but one of the stores we asked said that the shipments are still expected today for these customers, with many being processed by store staff early in the afternoon.

The reasons behind the store pickup delays are plausibly connected to issues relating to deliveries. On Thursday night, delivery updates for UPS started to update its estimates for some users to a Monday arrival rather than Friday, though the courier claims this to be an error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    When I turned up for mine this morning, I said I had an appointment.  The guy wearing an Apple shirt “appointment for what?”  “It’s for a colonoscopy, dude.  What do you think it’s for?”
    davgreg
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Tried to pick up my preordered XS Max 256gb Space Gray at Best Buy this morning and they said they had constraints with that particular configuration and would need to call me when it gets there, but it appears that they had other models.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    When I turned up for mine this morning, I said I had an appointment.  The guy wearing an Apple shirt “appointment for what?”  “It’s for a colonoscopy, dude.  What do you think it’s for?”
    Hahahaha  Really?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Bought an Xs/256/SG at my local AT&T store this morning. No problem, no waiting, in and out in 15-20 mins with a newly activated phone.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 5 of 16
    But I’m an America raised in a society of instant gratification who doesn’t understand things like error or weather or shipping or simply chains. Who do I scream at until I’m provided with something for free?
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 6 of 16

Oh, I don’t know, maybe an iPhone battery replacement. Or a cracked screen. Or moisture damage to an older unit. I suppose there are folks showing up who aren’t there to pick up a new phone or watch 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Jb.Jb. Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    felix01 said:

Oh, I don’t know, maybe an iPhone battery replacement. Or a cracked screen. Or moisture damage to an older unit. I suppose there are folks showing up who aren’t there to pick up a new phone or watch 
    Apple (at least the last time I checked) doesn't take Genius Bar appointments on launch day.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    redwinelvrredwinelvr Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    So I stopped by anyway to check the status after receiving an email like the one in the article.  I was told someone misplaced a pallet last night during delivery.  It took a lot of effort not to laugh at the excuse, and since I'm not willing to yell at the local guys since it wasn't his fault, I just smirked and said I would await my email update.  He said he was extremely hopeful It would still be delivered to me before they closed today.  I have my doubts they will find the misplaced pallet :smile: 

And that Apple Store was not busy and had no line at 12:00 pm.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 9 of 16

Must have been his first day on the job...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I ordered my iPhone XS Max on September 14 via the Apple Store app and was given the delivery date of September 21, launch day. Anticipating the arrival of my iPhone today, I waited at home all day for UPS. I kept checking the tracking throughout the day, which still indicated today's date (9/21). At 8:00pm and still no delivery, I again checked the tracking and now it indicates. "Unknown delivery date, check back later". I am so disappointed, no iPhone and wasted the entire day. Did anyone else NOT get their iPhone delivered today as promised? Maybe I should have ordered it as Store Pickup instead. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I preordered an XsMax was supposed to pickup 8:30am Friday in Apple Store.

Called store to check status, system said it was ready.

Went to store and told that phone was not in - but should be in at noon - and I’d get an mil.

Now Saturday and still no word, update or ETA.

Sill waiting... seems like my order is lost in the system.

So much for pre-ordering, I used to always just go early to store on launch day and get something.

Now I am stuck with no info, no phone...
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    It would be nice if Apple or UPS provided some kind of token apology or compensation for the last minute snafu. Apple derives much value from the first-day excitement. They don’t want to spoil it.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dewme said:
    It would be nice if Apple or UPS provided some kind of token apology or compensation for the last minute snafu. Apple derives much value from the first-day excitement. They don’t want to spoil it.
    I agree. It would be nice if they at least acknowledged the delay and tell us when we can expect it. In my situation, the Apple website still says “expected delivery today (21st), while ups says, “unknown delivery date, check back later”. There goes my launch day excitement...so disappointed.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    2 days later, still nothing.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    2 days later, still nothing.
    Same here. And UPS still says"unknown delivery date, please check back later". At least they said, "please".
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Pre-order my iPhone XS first minute as preorder was open in US. Today is Monday 9/24 and I still not have it yet. UPS show very intriguing tracking: Shenzhen, China - Louisville,  KY, US [customs] - Chek Lap Kok,  Hong Kong - Anchorage,  AK, US - [...path cannot be predicted in Matrix]. Clearly Apple had issue with customs clearance. Now I am concerning mostly not about when I will get it but I do not like that device was traveling across globe and can be simple damaged due to excessive handling. Thinking about returning it to the store.