Here are the best iPhone XS and XS Max cases you can buy right now

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
With iPhone XS and XS Max orders now shipping, we're rounding up the best cases you can buy right now to protect your new device, keeping it safe from drops, spills and scratches.

Since Apple announced the new iPhone XS, XS Max and XR, case manufacturers have been steadily unveiling protective covers compatible with the new devices. We've rounded up an assortment of styles and colors, from flashy patterns to extra rugged protection, to provide you with the best options available that can be purchased today.

Nomad

Nomad iPhone 2018 cases

We've been fans of Nomad's excellent rugged cases for some time. They've updated their lineup for this year's iPhones with new designs and features. Their popular Rugged Leather Case has been redesigned to be 33-percent thinner while still being as rugged as ever. The Rugged Leather is now available in both brown and black Horween leather.

The Rugged Folio has also been upgraded to include the construction of the Rugged Case, while still offering a trio of card slots and a cash pocket. New hinge grooves make the cover more responsive, which is available in black and brown leather.

Lastly, Nomad introduced a new Rugged Tri Folio that is perfect for those with larger wallets. It comes packed with eight card slots and a cash pocket. The additional fold also covers the card slots to give it a cleaner look for everyday use. At the moment, the Rugged Tri Folio is only available in the brown Horween Leather, but does support all three phones.

Pad & Quill

Pad and Quill iPhone XS case

Known for using premium materials, Pad & Quill's line of cases for 2018 iPhones are expertly crafted using full-grain leather that's wireless charging compatible. The cases also carry a 30-day money back promise and 25-year leather warranty.

At press time, these Pad & Quill iPhone XS cases are in stock and ready to ship. Plus, AppleInsider readers can save 10% sitewide at Pad & Quill with coupon code INSIDER.

Spigen

Spigen Apple iPhone 2018 case

Spigen has been a fixture in case roundups from years past, and 2018 is no exception. With retail prices starting at $19.99, the cases are durable, yet affordable. This year's lineup features Tough Armor covers for the XS (on sale for $15.99), XS Max (on sale for $17.99) and XR ($39.99).

Speck

Speck, another well-known brand in the accessory space, has just launched a new collection of cases designed for the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR. The largest unveiling yet for a device launch, the line includes all-new Presidio Pro, Presidio Stay Clear and Presidio V-Grip styles.

With 10-foot drop protection and raised bezel screen protection, the Presidio Pro is equipped with a scratch-resistant, soft-touch exterior and anti-microbial treatment.

The Presidio Ultra is a 2-in-1 ultra protective case that defends against drops of up to 15 feet. The 2-in-1 design allows for more protection when needed with the Presidio Pro as the base of the case. Prices for the Presidio line start at $39.95.

Those looking for more vibrant designs can also peruse Speck's CandyShell assortment starting at $24.95. It too offers military-grade drop protection like the Presidio line. An assortment of colors can be found on Speck's iPhone page with $5 two-day shipping for faster delivery.

OtterBox

OtterBox Defender case for iPhone XS

Known for coverings that offer military-grade protection, OtterBox has just unveiled its line of cases for the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR. Starting with the Symmetry Series, which offers a slimmer profile than other OtterBox offerings, the cases come in a multitide of colors and patterns.

Need more rugged protection? The Defender Series protects from both drops and germs, thanks to built-in OtterArmor Microbial Defense. The raised edge protects the screen for added peace of mind as well.

OtterBox's entire selection can be found here with prices starting at $39.95. If you're in the market for more than one case, OtterBox is taking 10% off orders over $65 with coupon code OTTERAFF38. Offer ends on Sept. 23.

Totallee

Totallee iPhone 2018 cases

Totallee is known for their extremely thin and minimalist iPhone cases, which act more as a tight-fitting skin or shell than anything. They keep the original iPhone size, while adding protection and avoiding any bulk. Available in a few different colors, including a clear model that largely lets the iPhone's design show through, Totallee cases are for the absolute minimalist. Totallee also leaves off any sort of logo, so these truly are as minimal as a case can come.

Case-Mate

Case Mate 2018 iPhone cases

For those that crave shimmer and shine, Case-Mate has a wide range of cases in lighter shades that add a bit of sparkle to your iPhone XS, XS Max or XR. From the Sheer Crystal case in Blush to the TWinkle Stardust cover, each Case-Mate iPhone case is compatible with wireless charging and features 10-foot drop protection.

Here's a list of in-stock colors and styles on Amazon: Shoppers looking to buy from Case-Mate.com directly can save 15% with free shipping on all cases and accessories with exclusive coupon code APPLEINSIDER15.

Mous

Mous iPhone XS case

The company's Limitless 2.0 case for the iPhone XS and XS Max is primarily geared around one thing: drop protection, mainly through air pockets and spring-like polymers. You can also choose from one of five different back materials though: carbon fiber, walnut, black leather, bamboo, or even shell. Each case comes with a triple-layered screen protector.

Casetify

Casetify Impact Magick

Casetify promises that its Impact case is scratch-resistant and can protect against drops up to 6.6 feet. Although it uses glossy material, a black ring around the flash should absorb errant light.

A number of different patterns are available, such as "Magick," but buyers can alternately choose a "Nude" case if they want a see-through design.

OWC

OWC NewerTech NuGuard KX

The NewerTech NuGuard KX series uses a one-piece design for easy installation, but meshes a hard shell with a soft interior -- including gel -- to protect against drops "well beyond" Apple's minimum, potentially as high as 20 feet. Black, crimson, and dark blue colors are available. Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I've had Otter box defender cases for 5s and 7 plus, they are the best cases IMO.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 2 of 13
    When are Apple’s cases supposed to be available? The last few years I’ve used their silicon cases exclusively.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I wish ai would test some of these cases.
    For me and I think most people, the primary reason for a case is drop protection.  But there is little objective information on HOW WELL different cases protect the phone from drops and different kinds of drops.

Last year, while buying a phone and case for a friend, I asked the Apple store rep how well the Apple cases protected versus the Tech21 cases (listed as "military grade protection").   The answer:  "Oh they are ALL tested".  Which sounded good but told me nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I wish ai would test some of these cases.
    For me and I think most people, the primary reason for a case is drop protection.  But there is little objective information on HOW WELL different cases protect the phone from drops and different kinds of drops.

Last year, while buying a phone and case for a friend, I asked the Apple store rep how well the Apple cases protected versus the Tech21 cases (listed as "military grade protection").   The answer:  "Oh they are ALL tested".  Which sounded good but told me nothing.
    In order to test all the available cases, AI would need to buy a lot of iPhones.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    payeco said:
    When are Apple’s cases supposed to be available? The last few years I’ve used their silicon cases exclusively.
    I saw them on Apple’s website this morning 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    payeco said:
    They've been available ever since iPhone preorders went live. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    With the X phones the case largely defines the whole look of the phone because all models look the same from the front. When I got to the part of the ordering process where I had to choose silver, gold, or space gray I had absolutely zero motivation to pick any one color over the other. I know, you can always get a transparent case, but I've never seen one that fits as nicely or is as pocketable as Apple's own leather cases. I chose silver.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Already got my Speck case for XS Max. The case next to my 8 plus in same Speck case the max case is a little smaller.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I want the beauty of my new Xs Max to shine through,  so can any of you guys recommend a crystal clear case that offers a reasonable level of  protection? 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 10 of 13
    payeco said:
    They're available in the Apple Store by me...have been for a few days now. Personally, I think the silicon cases suck. They stick to everything in your pocket, they don't last, and they're grossly over priced for what they are. I've had 2 silicon cases for 2 different iPhones and both have fallen apart in less than a year. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bluefire1 said:
    I want the beauty of my new Xs Max to shine through,  so can any of you guys recommend a crystal clear case that offers a reasonable level of  protection? 
    Caudabe Lucid Clear.  Been using it with my X. Crystal clear, strong and some say, a bit slippery. But I didn't think so. Caudabe's custyservice and warranty is great too. They'll replace it for any reason!  
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I bought the Mous for XS Max.  The video is what sold me.  
    comes with the screen protector.  I will save the Zagg I had previously ordered till I need it.
    Yes Mous is expensive but hopefully worth every penny.

I have been using the Magpul but even calling company, said not available until they bought phone and
    built from specifications.  Can't say they are working to stay in the phone accessory market.

As an aside:  Typing the last line above showed me how much I have depended on autocorrect on the
    iPhone / iPad.  I had to go back and insert the ' in can't.