Eager customers line up for iPhone XS, Apple Watch Series 4 as first shipments arrive

Posted:
in iPhone
It's Friday in some parts of the world and that means Apple's iPhone XS and Apple Watch Series 4 are about to go on sale at the company's retail stores. As in years past, customers started queuing up overnight to be among the first to get their hands on the hot new devices, while others have taken receipt of their early orders.

iPhone XS Line
The scene at Apple Orchard Road in Singapore on Thursday. | Source: Twitter

Apple fans currently waiting patiently outside of Apple stores in Berlin, Dubai, Singapore and other countries just west of the international date line are sharing photos of their experience online.

Regional media outlets are also covering the yearly event. In Singapore, Channel NewsAsia correspondent Matthew Mohan has been on the scene since outside of Apple Orchard Road Thursday night local time. Around 400 people were in line at around 4 p.m. Thursday, a figure that grew overnight as both locals and visitors filled up the barricades.

Security personnel on the scene issued wristbands to customers to indicate their place in line. The provided bands are scanned when a line waiter leaves for an allowed one-hour food break or 15-minute toilet break.

5pm here at Orchard Road and there's been a smattering of rain. Hasn't dampened the mood yet for those queuing for the new #Apple #iPhonexs though. Most still in good spirits and excited for the launch tomorrow morning pic.twitter.com/myiiKehPT3

— Matthew Mohan (@MatthewMohanCNA)

According to Mohan, passing showers drenched the area more than once.

The Khaleej Times reports a similar scenario in Dubai, where customers are awaiting entry to Apple's store in Dubai Mall. While not as packed as Singapore, the Dubai queue is sizable enough to warrant barricades and security.

Photos: Apple fans queue up in mall ahead of iPhone XS, XS Max release in Dubai https://t.co/WujwPmOhID pic.twitter.com/rUH5V3Jm5t

— Khaleej Times (@khaleejtimes)

Berlin, too, saw customers show up on Thursday, with a motley crew waiting outside Apple Kurfrstendamm.

Berlin Apple Store line for tomorrow release pic.twitter.com/BxJavgxCgT

— Fernando Montoya (@montogeek)

In Australia, where Apple Sydney is about to open its doors, the line wraps around the building's corner. Local reports say the queue started to fill up this morning, as not many fans were inclined to brave the weather last night.

At 9:30 last night, the number of people taking photos of the line outside the Sydney Apple store outnumbered the people in the line. This morning, it's modestly going around the corner. #iphonexs pic.twitter.com/KfHnzxLX6X

— Alice Clarke (@Alicedkc)

Customers who ordered online are already receiving their iPhone XS, XS Max and Apple Watch Series 4 shipments. Specifically, people living in New Zealand saw their orders delivered early Friday morning.

Thanks @Apple :-) It's 8:11am in New Zealand and my #iPhoneXS and #iPhoneXSMax have arrived. Yay! pic.twitter.com/6C9jqridvv

— Virgil (@varvanitas)

Good morning! First in the world? #iPhoneXS pic.twitter.com/GZjGxyp0U0

— Richard Everson (@EversonRick87)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Meanwhile, Samsung was spotted on site filming the lines for its next anti-Apple advertisement.

In Samsung's hallways deep inside the belly of its iKnockoff headquarters, upper-management were throwing chairs everywhere wondering why they don't have that kind of product loyalty.
    anantksundaramlkruppmacxpressericthehalfbeepscooter63d_2wlymguscatbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Holy crap! It’s amazing people still do this. Good for AAPL. 
    edited September 2018 anantksundaramnetroxbadmonkcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So much for the “too expensive” narrative we hear from the usual nattering nabobs of negativism on AI. 
    edited September 2018 gilly017pscooter63guscatmikeybabesbadmonkcornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    So much for the “too expensive” narrative we hear from the usual nattering nabobs of negativism on AI. 
    Just goes to show...the market really determines the prices of Apple products.
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    Indeed 
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    It's selling well huh?

"Wow look at all the stupid sheeps!! These idiots should be buying the knockoffs instead!!!!!!!1"
    guscatbadmonkwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    I believe the narrative of this year is “too expensive and nothing exciting”.  :)
    guscatbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Over 10 years and the thirst for Apple juice never stops!
    guscatbadmonkcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Congrats to everyone in their respective queues. My new Gold 512GB Xs Max is being delivered to me tomorrow by FedEx. Ft Worth TX to Memphis TN and on to Santa Cruz CA!! 😱🤪
    Carnagejdgazbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18

The scene at Apple Orchard Road in Singapore on Thursday. 
    Ha! This makes it sound like they have re-named street to Apple Orchard Road! 
    edited September 2018 badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    matrix077 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I believe the narrative of this year is “too expensive and nothing exciting”.  :)
    When is that not the narrative of a new Apple product?
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    claire1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    It's selling well huh?

"Wow look at all the stupid sheeps!! These idiots should be buying the knockoffs instead!!!!!!!1"
    Increasingly, it's the Android fanboys who seems like sheep.
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    nattering nabobs of negativism
    Mmmm.  That was the Doctor Seuss book I didn’t get to. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Bebe said:
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    Indeed 
    But unfortunately, folk like Rogifan just cannot grasp basic economic theory: if it was too expensive they wouldn’t sell any. 

Demand/supply is so basic I think Apple sets the price with a pencil, a ruler and a square of graph paper. 
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Congrats to everyone in their respective queues. My new Gold 512GB Xs Max is being delivered to me tomorrow by FedEx. Ft Worth TX to Memphis TN and on to Santa Cruz CA!! 😱🤪
    You went top of the line. 

How long would you plan to keep the phone before upgrading again?

cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Rayz2016 said:
    Bebe said:
    macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:
    Indeed 
    But unfortunately, folk like Rogifan just cannot grasp basic economic theory: if it was too expensive they wouldn’t sell any. 

Demand/supply is so basic I think Apple sets the price with a pencil, a ruler and a square of graph paper. 

I've put Rogifan on my ignore list long back. She's just not worth having a discussion with.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    :) guscat said:
    matrix077 said:
    lkrupp said:
    When is that not the narrative of a new Apple product?
    I think it’s “too expensive and too ugly notch” last year.  :)

oh..and yeah,.. nothing exciting too.  :D
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    matrix077 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Compared to my 5s it’s insane!

macxpress said:
    lkrupp said:

I just wish the prices of used iPhone 6S’ & 7’s would come down a little... *sigh*

watto_cobra