Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    What's with the two tone leather band?  It should be all one color
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macgui said:
    Apart from everything else, I'm a little disappointed in the two-part packaging.

It does save Apple time assembly time, and should they change the factory options, it's probably a little easier update the forthcoming inventory.

But having the Watch separate from the bands strikes me as a less elegant, more DIY presentation. Sure, it's no trouble to put it together, but it dampens the experience a tad. But Apple's been steadily moving away from The Experience as evidenced by the changes in packaging with each generation of the Watch.
    I absolutely LOVE it. That, plus the exclusion of a PSU from the Series 3 models means it's moving in the direction I hope that Apple devices will continue to move in in the future. For instance, perhaps next year the older iPhones still selling as new but at reduced prices may not come with a PSU, and one inductive chargers reach a tipping point we may see it dropped from all the lines altogether. Additionally, I'd be less on the fence about buying a Series 4 Watch if I could opt for the Watch sans a band. I don't like having extra accessories that go unused (which includes the additional half a band that comes with every Watch for different sized wrist.

I don't except any of this to happen quickly, So was pleasantly surprised that they moved to separate boxing removed the PSU from the Series 3 Watch packaging this year.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    The real question is who in AI going to wear the watch? Is it a loaner or someone in AI bought it himself?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Fleeced.  That’s what people are that buy this.

I’ll admit the watch itself is greatly improved, but those bands are butt ugly.  

When end I see orange I think of prisoner garments.  The black looks OK, but without the orange...

For the money, you can get much much better...

I won’t be interested in the Apple Watch until it has at a least 48 hour battery, and can make phone calls.

The heart monitor is interesting, as the sleep monitor (presumably coming soon).  But the phone format is 1000% more practical.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Soli said:
    You’re paying just have the brand, can easily find cheap leather bands on amazon to recreate the same look. Personally whoever buys these just have a lot of money and dropping that cash just means you’re rich. :)
    1) It's doubtful they'd be the same quality. It's like finding a $20 knock off handbag in Chinatown that was copied from a 4 or 5 figure original. From a distance they look the same, but up close the placement of the design on the leather, the feel of the leather, the wear and tear of the leather, the accuracy of the stitching, the quality of the metal parts, and countless other things (I'm sure) if I was in any way in handbags. If you're goal is to trick someone looking at it from a distance then it'll probably work.

2) You're not getting the watch faces, which I'd think is also part of the appeal. Maybe someone with money just happens to like those watch faces. They may even swap it out  for a different band. Personally, I go the other way. I'm waiting for the Nike version to drop because I like those bands with the holes in them but I never use their Nike watch faces and I don't pay money to buy the Nike band nor keep the one it came with in a box.
    FYI you can buy the Nike bands with the holes in them separately. Existing ones, anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 41
    dougd said:
    What's with the two tone leather band?  It should be all one color
    Says who and by what authority?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Fleeced.  That’s what people are that buy this.

I’ll admit the watch itself is greatly improved, but those bands are butt ugly.  

When end I see orange I think of prisoner garments.  The black looks OK, but without the orange...

For the money, you can get much much better...

I won’t be interested in the Apple Watch until it has at a least 48 hour battery, and can make phone calls.

The heart monitor is interesting, as the sleep monitor (presumably coming soon).  But the phone format is 1000% more practical.
    News flash — the AW can make phone calls. 

It’s pushinf 48 hours now, but I don’t see the point in holding out for that. You need to charge your iphone daily, the device this is an accessory to. And charging this is easier than that — simply slide it off your wrist while undressing, and slap it onto the charging puck or stand. Right on my nightstand, can do it in the dark, drunk. Trying to sort out which every-other day to that is more work than simply charging it nightly alongside the phone. 

Apple got it right here. 
    dewmemacpluspluswilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 41
    FYI - I visited my local store and confirmed it, Apple has discontinued their classic leather buckle bands. They had two left in inventory so I picked one up. I’ve tried the $10 amazon ones and they sucked, and the 90 price range all have a design feature of one sort or another I’m not big on.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Some of the Hermès bands do look really nice, and the faces add a kind of classic vibe that offsets the tech nicely, but it is a pretty big markup for those features. Not for everybody, but that’s part of the appeal too. 

P.S. “air-MEZ”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    ugly ugly ugly! Can they just make a watch that looks like a watch? even a $50 fossil looks better. but who knows maybe the 6th or 7th generation might be the watch to get. I guess with all the health features it targets the elderly 
    It's a joke to try to associate fashion with this horrendous device. 
  • Reply 31 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    You’re paying just have the brand, can easily find cheap leather bands on amazon to recreate the same look. Personally whoever buys these just have a lot of money and dropping that cash just means you’re rich. :)
    1) It's doubtful they'd be the same quality. It's like finding a $20 knock off handbag in Chinatown that was copied from a 4 or 5 figure original. From a distance they look the same, but up close the placement of the design on the leather, the feel of the leather, the wear and tear of the leather, the accuracy of the stitching, the quality of the metal parts, and countless other things (I'm sure) if I was in any way in handbags. If you're goal is to trick someone looking at it from a distance then it'll probably work.

2) You're not getting the watch faces, which I'd think is also part of the appeal. Maybe someone with money just happens to like those watch faces. They may even swap it out  for a different band. Personally, I go the other way. I'm waiting for the Nike version to drop because I like those bands with the holes in them but I never use their Nike watch faces and I don't pay money to buy the Nike band nor keep the one it came with in a box.
    FYI you can buy the Nike bands with the holes in them separately. Existing ones, anyway. 
    Maybe it wasn't clear since I missed out a couple words but I did reference it at the end: "and I don't [want to] pay money to buy the Nike bands [separately] nor keep the ones it came with in a box.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 41
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member

Pro tip: turn off raise to wake.

my series 0 gets a day and a half this way. I have a friend who has a series 3 and he says his gets almost 3 days without raise to wake turned off. I’d guess you could get about 4 with RTW turned off on a series 3. 

Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 41
    johnbear said:
    ugly ugly ugly! Can they just make a watch that looks like a watch? even a $50 fossil looks better. but who knows maybe the 6th or 7th generation might be the watch to get. I guess with all the health features it targets the elderly 
    It's a joke to try to associate fashion with this horrendous device. 
     :D :D :D Come on, spit it out, tell everyone what you really mean.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 41

When ever I see orange I think of prisoner garments.

Any self-respecting prisoner on the run is going to want the AW Hermès orange band to match the overalls.
    edited September 2018 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 41
    I think the orange, indigo and cream band is gorgeous. Very stylish. 

Taste is subjective, though. I wish the rouge and cream were available for 44mm. I would wear the **** out of that band. 

There are millions (billions?) of Apple Watches. The only way to personalize is through bands and faces. I would love a herringbone band!

The absence of bands for Android Wear shows how important style is to its audience. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    What’s with the “Air-Maze”...? The brand is French and the accent on the second E means it should be pronounced short and rigid, just like you pronounce the first E as “ai” in “air”. It’s Hermès, which is pronounced as “Hair-mais”. 
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Nice review! I have not owned the Hermes edition before, but did buy a Hermes leather band lasts year. It was one of the most comfortable leather bands I’ve worn. A minor thing about the review is Hermes is incorrectly pronounced throughout the video.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 41

Are all Watches now coming in the long box? I bought the Series 0 stainless steel with the Milanese Loop and another with the black link bracelet and they both came in a cuboid plastic box, which was pretty neat.

My Series 2 Nike Watch came in the long box, but I assumed that only the Sport watches would come in that.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 41
    I saw on a YouTube Hermès 4 unboxing that the double-wrap band (double tour I believe they called it) is very short ... 140 - 160mm (5.5 - 6.3 inches) which is quite a bit shorter than the industry average 7.5-inch wrist circumference for an adult woman. It was being returned since Apple doesn't make a longer double-wrap band for that size watch. Caveat emptor!
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Not into the Hermès thing not to mention just too much for me.

But, I will never ever tell anyone how to spend their money.
    Soli