HomePod adds phone calls, improved Siri, search by lyrics in software update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Near the end of the "Gather Round" keynote Wednesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced some updated features for HomePod, including improved Siri functionality -- and they have now arrived.

HomePod features September 12

Apple on Wednesday announced that it's adding some long-awaited features to the HomePod wireless speaker, including the ability to search for songs by lyrics, set multiple timers, make and receive phone calls and more.

"We've got an update to the HomePod, our breakthrough home speaker," Tim Cook said during the keynote. "We recently added stereo pairs and AirPlay 2. So now when you add a second HomePod to create a stereo pair, it creates this incredible wide immersive sound stage. You really have to hear this to believe it, it's really awesome.

"We've got some other great features that we're bringing to HomePod," Cook added. "You'll be able to search for your favorite songs by lyric, create multiple timers, make and receive phone calls right from your HomePod, and just like your Apple Watch, you can ping your iPhone or any of your Apple devices to find them around your house."

Tim Cook with the HomePod

In addition Apple Watch's popular Find My Phone function can now be activated on HomePod with simple voice commands. HomePod has also added Siri Shortcuts and new Siri languages.

The HomePod, released earlier this year, now claims six percent of the global smart speaker market, according to statistics released in August by Strategy Analytics, which estimated that Apple had shipped around 700,000 HomePods up to that point.

Apple also announced that the HomePod will arrive in Mexico and Spain starting October 26.

HomePod still retails for $349.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Amazing.

I don't mean the updates are amazing, I mean it's amazing they sold that many of them.  The price is ridiculous.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

I don't mean the updates are amazing, I mean it's amazing they sold that many of them.  The price is ridiculous.
    Compared to what?
    lolliverjony0zroger73StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Now I see why they acquired Shazam ... search based on lyrics ... and making Siri smart😎er
    jony0jbdragonclaire1
  • Reply 4 of 17
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Hope to see new ones before Christmas. A small portable one too!
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    mike1 said:
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

Compared to what?
    The $399 Google Home Max?

zroger73
  • Reply 6 of 17
    iNerdGirliNerdGirl Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I bought a HomePod when AirPlay 2 launched, and I don't regret it at all. Siri is good enough, and the sound is second to none in this segment. I just wish the Beat Studio3s where as bass-heavy as the HomePod
    lolliverStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jbdragon said:
    mike1 said:
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

Compared to what?

I really didn't have much interest in a Home Max But I happened on a brand new one for $259 and picked it up anyway. Would never have considered it for four hundred bucks.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Siri works great with the 2 HomePods in the living room playing stereo.
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I’m still holding hope they incorporate multi user support, especially with adding calling. If my wife is home with me at the grocery, her not being able to initiate a call isn’t very “home”-like for a HomePod. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Anyone know how to get the Homepod to allow more than one phone to use the Homepod as speaker phone. I set the Homepod up on my phone, but it is not locked to my phone, everyone's phone can airplay to the Homepod, but my phone is the only one which allows the Homepod to show up in phone call as the Bluetooth speaker phone. When my wife makes a call and select the speaker, her Airpods show up but not the Homepod.

I do not believe we doing anything wrong, I hope apple fixes this or at least recognize family sharing on the icloud and let all users and devices to use the Homepod a speaker phone.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Jerrel said:
    Now I see why they acquired Shazam ... search based on lyrics ... and making Siri smart😎er

I am not sure they mean it can listen to a song and tell you want is playing, I think that if you say the words in a song it may know what song your talking about. I just yesterday as Siri to tell me what song was playing and it came back and say not songs were playing on the play list.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    mike1 said:
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

Compared to what?

I really didn't have much interest in a Home Max But I happened on a brand new one for $259 and picked it up anyway. Would never have considered it for four hundred bucks.
    So getting a brand new Google MAX for $259, why not!!! That's a great deal. I have a Google Mini and a Amazon Dot, both of which I got for $30 each. There's Pro's and Con's with all of them.

The point is, Apple's price is not unreasonable for what you're getting compared to others in this market like Sonos.

Apple seems more focused on Music and they've limited some things you can do on it when you can on a iPad or iPhone. So making a cheaper MINI version, I don't know if Apple would do that. I'll tell you right now, Apple would never make a mini version that costs $50, normal price. Apple's would cost like $150 minimum.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

Will you please elaborate?  If the branding was JBL, Bose or B&O would you think it was still overpriced? Siri commands aside this is a SOLID sounding speaker. You made a broad statement about price..is the price ridiculous to you as an individual, or ridiculous for the technology inside and the sound it delivers? If it's the latter I strongly disagree, If you can't justify that much for a speaker, as in any speaker at that price point than I respect your opinion. You have to do what's best for you...
    claire1
  • Reply 14 of 17
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

Nonsense. The price is good a high-quality speaker with beam-forming and a mic array. I paid $300 for an iHome AirPlay speaker that sounded like crap and had no smart features. 

Bose sells a sound bar for $600, no AirPlay or extra features. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 15 of 17
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Can you make stand alone calls without a plan? How does calling work?

I remember a Beats Pill commercial where Kendrick Lamar called Dr. Dre and they were speaking through the Pill. It was amazing!

f1ferrari said:
    I’m still holding hope they incorporate multi user support, especially with adding calling. If my wife is home with me at the grocery, her not being able to initiate a call isn’t very “home”-like for a HomePod. 

Was added apparently. I'd like a walkie-talkie type feature. 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    claire1 said:
    Can you make stand alone calls without a plan? How does calling work?

I remember a Beats Pill commercial where Kendrick Lamar called Dr. Dre and they were speaking through the Pill. It was amazing!
    If it's done as it is with other smart speakers, and no reason to think it doesn't, it uses your mobile phone number/service, but as a wifi call.  I don't use it often, but it's been convenient when I've left my phone in another room or even the summer house and want to make a quick call.

I've seen my wife use smart-speaker calling it a couple times to talk to our daughter while putting on her makeup in the morning but couldn't honestly say if it's a regular thing or not. I've usually left for work about the same time as she's getting up. Morning's aren't her strong suit. ;)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 17 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    mike1 said:
    darkvader said:
    Amazing.

Compared to what?

I wouldn't even consider Google Home for free. And I am serious.