Apple and Verizon pointing fingers at each other about iPhone XS activation failures

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    MurichMurich Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I spent 4 hours at the apple store after Apple was unable to activate a phone I had purchased on the apple monthly upgrade plan. Verizon had blocked my account falsely claiming I had an outstanding balance on the account. After 4 hours of Apple calling different departments at Verizon while I was patiently waiting in the apple store, and suggestions by Verizon to buy the phone directly from Verizon, Verizon finally “found” and fixed the error. Unfortunately by 9pm Apple was still unable to activate the phone, even though Verizon has claimed to have fixed the error, so I ended up cancelling the order and purchasing another XS outright and simply swapping the SIM cards. I was lucky Apple had a few extra XS in store by 9 pm. Why Verizon needs to authorize a phone that I did not purchase from them on a plan that I got from Apple on an existing Verizon line that shouldn’t require their approval is a head scratcher. Very very unhappy with Verizon. 
  • Reply 22 of 33
    jcs2305 said:
    tizzy00 said:
    Hey guys, appreciate you writing up this article. I had a really bad experience with my iPhone X Max. 

1) UPS Delivery issue:
    Was waiting at home all day for the phone UPS delivery didn't ring my doorbell and was going to take the phone back with them thinking I wasn't in my apartment. Thankfully my super signed for it.

2) Activation issue:
    Couldn't activate my phone with billing postal code and pin code and and called the MYPHONE Apple number. They made me connect to iTunes and reinstall iOS for no reason. They said I have to do it that way if I didn't buy the phone from my carrier and bought it from Apple. This I am sure isn't true. This also didn't help. At the end iTunes asked for Verizon pin code and billing zip code and it wouldn't accept.

I contacted Verizon and then Verizon didn't know what was happening and contacted Apple who didn't know what was happening either and Apple took down all my details and said an Engineer would get back to them in 24-48 hours. This took hours.

I looked online and read that people had success activating with their old pins. So I spent a few hours searching for my old pin from a year ago.. I found it eventually and this worked! 

No offense to anyone, This is what Apple's 15th phone they've released? Apple and Verizon should really have this all figured out and tested properly. If they're taking my money at least give me a pain free experience. I shouldn't have to worry about if I am going to get my phone or if I am going to have to spend 7 hours troubleshooting to make it work. 

I was actually worried when I went to pick on Friday at the Apple atore because this is my first upgrade program with TMobile as my provider. I grabbed my phone and a screen protector went home and set with no issues. Honestly this sounds like a Verizon issue and they tried to push it back Apple. You had to reinstall iOS because you didn't buy from the carrier. That's sounds like total horse sh** in my opinion. 

That being said I definitely agree with you. There is no excuse for 7 hours of trouble shooting to use ANY device , let alone one costing this much. I have a higher expectation of Apple and a device at this price point. I am sorry that you had to go through that. 
    There is no indication that this is Apple's problem.
    While the helpdesk could have done a better job, troubleshooting is nearly always a process of ruling things out, leaving only the possible problems.   That's just how it works -- everywhere.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I purchased my iPhone XS from Verizon and had no problem upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus.  All I had to do was place the old iPhone (also on Verizon’s network) next to the new iPhone XS and my iPhone was activated and all my settings and apps were copied on to the new iPhone.
    Same here. Placing my 7+ next to Xs Max and let iOS do the rest. Didn’t people know that they don’t need Verizon account to activate the phone but Apple ID?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I purchased my iPhone XS from Verizon and had no problem upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus.  All I had to do was place the old iPhone (also on Verizon’s network) next to the new iPhone XS and my iPhone was activated and all my settings and apps were copied on to the new iPhone.
    I did exactly the same thing -- simply placing my new Xs Max (Verizon) next to my iPhone X (Verizon) -- and it worked seamlessly to copy everything over from the old phone (and iCloud backup) to the new phone.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Same here on Verizon Xs Max. I called Verizon 4 times and on 4th call they said to use my prior billing zip code, which I actually did try, and it worked. Max great phone did not think coming from 8 Plus was going to like the face ID but I have to say works great think is better.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    All through these comments I hear that when there's a problem, just use old / former data.

That sure sounds like somebody at Verizon restored a database from an older version.   Sometimes that's a booboo and sometimes its done intentionally as the current backup was unavailable, lost or corrupted.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jcs2305 said:
    tizzy00 said:
    Hey guys, appreciate you writing up this article. I had a really bad experience with my iPhone X Max. 

1) UPS Delivery issue:
    Was waiting at home all day for the phone UPS delivery didn't ring my doorbell and was going to take the phone back with them thinking I wasn't in my apartment. Thankfully my super signed for it.

2) Activation issue:
    Couldn't activate my phone with billing postal code and pin code and and called the MYPHONE Apple number. They made me connect to iTunes and reinstall iOS for no reason. They said I have to do it that way if I didn't buy the phone from my carrier and bought it from Apple. This I am sure isn't true. This also didn't help. At the end iTunes asked for Verizon pin code and billing zip code and it wouldn't accept.

I contacted Verizon and then Verizon didn't know what was happening and contacted Apple who didn't know what was happening either and Apple took down all my details and said an Engineer would get back to them in 24-48 hours. This took hours.

I looked online and read that people had success activating with their old pins. So I spent a few hours searching for my old pin from a year ago.. I found it eventually and this worked! 

No offense to anyone, This is what Apple's 15th phone they've released? Apple and Verizon should really have this all figured out and tested properly. If they're taking my money at least give me a pain free experience. I shouldn't have to worry about if I am going to get my phone or if I am going to have to spend 7 hours troubleshooting to make it work. 

I was actually worried when I went to pick on Friday at the Apple atore because this is my first upgrade program with TMobile as my provider. I grabbed my phone and a screen protector went home and set with no issues. Honestly this sounds like a Verizon issue and they tried to push it back Apple. You had to reinstall iOS because you didn't buy from the carrier. That's sounds like total horse sh** in my opinion. 

That being said I definitely agree with you. There is no excuse for 7 hours of trouble shooting to use ANY device , let alone one costing this much. I have a higher expectation of Apple and a device at this price point. I am sorry that you had to go through that. 
    While the helpdesk could have done a better job, troubleshooting is nearly always a process of ruling things out, leaving only the possible problems.   That's just how it works -- everywhere.
    I didn’t have any problems like this , or blame apple directly for the issue. I understand how troubleshooting works.

When I walk into an apple store to upgrade my phone I expect a smooth experience. I do not expect to spend 7 hours troubleshooting. So Verizon apparently needs to do better here.  

I also don’t expect to be told someone will get back to me in 24 to 48 when I am in the middle of an unsuccessful new phone activation either.  It’s an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. 
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Alben in AlbuquerqueAlben in Albuquerque Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I am having a similar issue with Sprint and Xs phone. Unable to access internet on phone outside of WiFi connectivity. And as has been mentioned, no solution for me as well.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    All through these comments I hear that when there's a problem, just use old / former data.

That sure sounds like somebody at Verizon restored a database from an older version.   Sometimes that's a booboo and sometimes its done intentionally as the current backup was unavailable, lost or corrupted.
    I'm seeing mentions in this thread of similar issues with iPhone Xs activations at Sprint too. It could have more to do with something at Apple than some are guessing it does. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    gatorguy said:

I'm seeing mentions in this thread of similar issues with iPhone Xs activations at Sprint too. It could have more to do with something at Apple than some are guessing it does. 
    Perhaps...
    That's the trouble with trouble shooting.  In it's initial stages you are like a blindfolded man shooting at a bell -- you just take a shot towards the most likely target.  And, when you miss you know where the bell isn't.

I always followed a quote from the original  Sherlock Holmes:
    "When you have ruled out the impossible, all that remains is the possible".

I think, right now, the most likely suspect is Verizon restoring from an old backup.   But, that remains to be proven.  

The one, single certain thing about trouble shooting is:   Once you found it, you slap yourself on the forehead and say "Well, of course!   How it ever have been anything else!"
  • Reply 31 of 33
    jcs2305 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    tizzy00 said:

1) UPS Delivery issue:

2) Activation issue:

I didn’t have any problems like this , or blame apple directly for the issue. I understand how troubleshooting works.

When I walk into an apple store to upgrade my phone I expect a smooth experience. I do not expect to spend 7 hours troubleshooting. So Verizon apparently needs to do better here.  

I also don’t expect to be told someone will get back to me in 24 to 48 when I am in the middle of an unsuccessful new phone activation either.  It’s an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. 
    You don't "blame Apple directly" but you are intolerant of the their efforts to diagnose what is most likely a Verizon issue out of their control.  

I would argue that, ASSUMING that it is a Verizon issue, you should perhaps be grateful to Apple for trying to help you.   Many / most vendors would simply tell you "Not our problem.  It's your carrier.   Go  talk to them"
  • Reply 32 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:

Perhaps...
    That's the trouble with trouble shooting.  In it's initial stages you are like a blindfolded man shooting at a bell -- you just take a shot towards the most likely target.  And, when you miss you know where the bell isn't.

I think, right now, the most likely suspect is Verizon restoring from an old backup.   But, that remains to be proven.  

The one, single certain thing about trouble shooting is:   Once you found it, you slap yourself on the forehead and say "Well, of course!   How it ever have been anything else!"
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/9hsgy8/sprint_iphone_xs_xs_max_failed_activation/
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8547278
  • Reply 33 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Perhaps...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/9hsgy8/sprint_iphone_xs_xs_max_failed_activation/
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8547278
    Yeh, like I said, until you have it nailed down, it COULD  be anything.
    And, yes, people are having trouble with other carriers, but then that's likely pretty normal.   I had a similar problem with Sprint on my grandson's phone last December.

But, when people say that using old pins solves the Verizon problem, that still sounds like a "bad" restore by Verizon to me.
    ...   But, we'll see...