Latest California Apple store robbery caught on video

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
In the first major Apple store theft since the arrival of the new iPhones, several individuals carried out a robbery in Santa Rosa, and one suspect was caught.

The Santa Rosa Apple Store

In another of a long series of similar robberies in California, several men rushed into an Apple store in Santa Rosa, Calif., on Sunday and stole merchandise from display tables before running off. But this time, a bystander videotaped both the robbery itself and one of the suspects being wrestled to the ground by security guards and civilians.

The bystander, who uses the online username "Gooneryoda," filmed the videos and later posted them to Twitter, YouTube and Reddit.

"I was at the Santa Rosa Plaza and I saw these six guys in jeans and hoodies making a their way to the Apple Store. I knew something was about to go down so I recorded it," Gooneryoda wrote on r/Apple subreddit, before posting the video of the suspects running into the store:

The user then posted a second video of one of the suspects being subdued, wrestled to the ground and handcuffed by a pair of uniformed officers and two men in plain clothes, in what appears to be a different part of the mall (caution: strong language):

Later in the day, the Santa Rosa Police Department's Facebook page reported that "several thieves entered the Apple Store at the Santa Rosa Plaza mall and ran away with multiple devices."

Dozens of similar Apple store robberies have taken place this year throughout California, and at least two crews carrying out the crimes have been arrested. The thefts have often been caught on store security video, but rarely have they been recorded live by bystanders. The same Apple store, at Santa Rosa Plaza, was similarly robbed in late August, with thieves making off with $35,000 in merchandise.

Law enforcement sources contacted by AppleInsider in recent weeks are unclear on how many crews are at work and if they are connected. One officer, Lt. Robert Boll of the Burlingame Police Department, said there's likely a copycat effect at work.

"They see how easy it is when the news plays the video," he told AppleInsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I'm happy to see at least one person was caught.

"Pleeeeeeaase... Pleeeeeeeaasse!'

Don't do the crime, my brotha...

I hope he's 18 or over... And sings like canary.
    kozchristycho_macuserwatto_cobrajony0anton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Apple products bring the all the boys to yard. So this apple fraud in the news a lot has me thinking maybe apple is paying these kids to risk jail time for a cut of advertising. That’s just my demented mind but you never know what big companies do behind the scenes. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Young thieves like this make my blood boil. . . had 3 MBPros and other Mac stuff stolen from a break-in and never recovered. It's so common place the police won't do anything, CAN'T do anything. . . wish apple had a better way of tracking stolen devises. Find-My-Mac doesn't work if the devise is never logged onto the internet. There are parts of the world that would chop off this kid's hand for stealing. Hmmmmm.
    anton zuykovkozchristycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    It's acts like these kids do that get both healthcare and welfare check cuts.. perhaps better education and institutions and programs to keep kids out of the streets? Thought that was the whole idea former Gov. Arnold was promoting? Perhaps, look at the French Canadian cities on solutions for some ideas on this double sided issue. Or even in Melbourne or Sydney Australia when it comes to family dire situations and handling them in these crisis. I think someone on the inside of apple is doing this. NOT an issue of just a ring leader to produce benefit losses. A phat federal check to pay apple on a employee apple solutions survey would be more appealing if it was taken to the admin below the Apple Inc. CEO area. Something a bit beyond intel can do. What do you guys think?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Apple products bring the all the boys to yard. So this apple fraud in the news a lot has me thinking maybe apple is paying these kids to risk jail time for a cut of advertising. That’s just my demented mind but you never know what big companies do behind the scenes. 
    Really? Apple is to blame for this, again? Victimhood mentality hits new low, I guess... I did not know it could go any lower, but here we are...
    Do you really think that a 1T dollar corporation needs to be risking that much by boosting sales by.....ehh..by 0.001%? What makes you think someone stealing an iPhone makes me wanna go and buy one? 
    Do you even realize, what will happen to Apple, when those who Apple allegedly paid, start talking? Yeah, you haven't thought your theory through...

I would suggest you get off the weed or whatever you have been consuming.

wlymStrangeDaysjdgazsteven n.tycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    And this is why you don't wear baggy sweatpants when you need to run away.
    wlymkozchrisanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27

Abraham69 said:
    It's acts like these kids do that get both healthcare and welfare check cuts.. perhaps better education and institutions and programs to keep kids out of the streets? Thought that was the whole idea former Gov. Arnold was promoting? Perhaps, look at the French Canadian cities on solutions for some ideas on this double sided issue. Or even in Melbourne or Sydney Australia when it comes to family dire situations and handling them in these crisis. I think someone on the inside of apple is doing this. NOT an issue of just a ring leader to produce benefit losses. A phat federal check to pay apple on a employee apple solutions survey would be more appealing if it was taken to the admin below the Apple Inc. CEO area. Something a bit beyond intel can do. What do you guys think?
    The idea is to have whole families with fathers that are present (physically) and as role figures. Statistics show that that alone fixes a lot of problems. Single mother households, on the other hand, produce people like these fine gentlemen - in 80% of the single mother households! Think about that. Getting kids off the streets does not work, if the only pattern they learnt was - living off of the street crime. 
    Abraham69
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Really? Apple is to blame for this, again? Victimhood mentality hits new low, I guess... I did not know it could go any lower, but here we are...
    Do you really think that a 1T dollar corporation needs to be risking that much by boosting sales by.....ehh..by 0.001%? What makes you think someone stealing an iPhone makes me wanna go and buy one? 
    Do you even realize, what will happen to Apple, when those who Apple allegedly paid, start talking? Yeah, you haven't thought your theory through...

Where’s your sense of humor or episodes of black mirror at? 😜
    radarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 27

Sense of humor? It was banned as offensive!
  • Reply 10 of 27
     It’s funny how what comments Are considered to be heated political issues Are not allowed on AI based on the OP, but take a situation like this where there are all kinds of secret dog whistles  are being blown ( keyboard warriors) to stroke ones “ let’s call it tension “but yet that is allowed, it really doesn’t bother me the idiots are allowed to make the comments & not be checked  but these are the exact reasons why you should not silence one thread I.e. over another it only leads to this.
     Just the same as people have heated issues over apple/android and say all kinds of insulting things and it is not silenced our political topics  should be the same open & free to debate,. but that’s just me 

edited September 2018 fruitstandninja
  • Reply 11 of 27

Really?? 
    Next month they will move to Android stores. Kids
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I think ‘robbery’ is the wrong word for this crime and an exaggeration.  I think ‘shoplifting’ is the correct word.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I think ‘robbery’ is the wrong word for this crime and an exaggeration.  I think ‘shoplifting’ is the correct word.
    I don’t believe “shoplifting” is the correct term, as shoplifting is generally an unnoticed theft. Meaning, the people or persons involved are performing the act of theft discretely. There is nothing discrete about the people in this video. 
    StrangeDaysanton zuykovsteven n.retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Not just Apple. This happens in Louis Vuitton store also where my wife works. It's constant.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Sure it is easier to record police officers taking actions and then protest brutality. When it comes to theft and witness evidence that is another story. Some may pay for this with real brutality from thiefs so it is better to stay away for cowards.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Absolutely ridiculous. No, we do know that is not what’s happening. Apple already sells out to record profits, they don’t need to secretly hire young males to rob them to generate publicity and risk massive, massive scandal which would result in executive resignations.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I still don’t understand how these thefts could happen since California made it illegal to rob stores... :-/
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Shoplifting is kinda hard to do, when all the sirens are going off around you, and you are the one who triggered them.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    In the first major Apple store theft since the arrival of the new iPhones, several individuals carried out a robbery in Santa Rosa, and one suspect was caught.

The Santa Rosa Apple Store

In another of a long series of similar robberies in California, several men rushed into an Apple store in Santa Rosa, Calif., on Sunday and stole merchandise from display tables before running off. But this time, a bystander videotaped both the robbery itself and one of the suspects being wrestled to the ground by security guards and civilians.

The bystander, who uses the online username "Gooneryoda," filmed the videos and later posted them to Twitter, YouTube and Reddit.

"I was at the Santa Rosa Plaza and I saw these six guys in jeans and hoodies making a their way to the Apple Store. I knew something was about to go down so I recorded it," Gooneryoda wrote on r/Apple subreddit, before posting the video of the suspects running into the store:

The user then posted a second video of one of the suspects being subdued, wrestled to the ground and handcuffed by a pair of uniformed officers and two men in plain clothes, in what appears to be a different part of the mall (caution: strong language):

Later in the day, the Santa Rosa Police Department's Facebook page reported that "several thieves entered the Apple Store at the Santa Rosa Plaza mall and ran away with multiple devices."

Dozens of similar Apple store robberies have taken place this year throughout California, and at least two crews carrying out the crimes have been arrested. The thefts have often been caught on store security video, but rarely have they been recorded live by bystanders. The same Apple store, at Santa Rosa Plaza, was similarly robbed in late August, with thieves making off with $35,000 in merchandise.

Law enforcement sources contacted by AppleInsider in recent weeks are unclear on how many crews are at work and if they are connected. One officer, Lt. Robert Boll of the Burlingame Police Department, said there's likely a copycat effect at work.

"They see how easy it is when the news plays the video," he told AppleInsider.
    I am totally against theft.  That said, these incidents generate massive publicity.  Nobody is breaking in the microsoft stores LMAO. Think of the thefts as commercial time and quantify the dollars it represents.  The cost of the goods stolen isn’t even a blip for Apple. If Apple seriously wanted to stop this there are security experts who could show them how
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    How is this good for apple? If anything this may deter people from visiting apple stores (oh, pardon me, “town squares”). Who wants to go shopping expecting this kind of criminal activity? What if a shootout starts happening? I’m sure these losers are packing.
    edited September 2018