Apple partners with Salesforce to increase iOS integration in business

Posted:
in iOS edited September 2018
Apple is working with Salesforce to improve how the customer relationship management platform works on iOS, including new features for the main Salesforce app and the introduction of tools for developers to build native iOS apps that use Salesforce's service.

Under the partnership, Salesforce will redesign its Salesforce Mobile app to provide customers "rich experiences on iOS" that take advantage of the operating system's unique features, including Siri ShortCuts, Face ID, and Business Chat, with the release expected in early 2019. As part of the app push, Salesforce will also introduce its first ever Trailhead mobile app for the company's learning platform later next year, with other iOS apps also planed to serve the specific customer needs of various industries and small businesses.

To help developers, the companies are developing the first Salesforce Mobile SDK, which will be optimized for the Swift programming language, intended to launch by the end of 2018. The native SDK is intended to enable businesses to build and deploy apps for iPhone and iPad using the Salesforce Lightning Platform.

"iOS + @Salesforce = powerful tools and customer experiences right on iPhone and iPad. Changing the way business is done! " -- Tim Cook. Thank you @tim_cook for your vision and leadership! I'm inspired! And best of all Siri and Einstein are now friends. https://t.co/u6xcQhRXuM

— Marc Benioff (@Benioff)

Lastly, to encourage developers to improve their skills and grow their careers, Apple will be launching a new Get Started with iOS App Development Trail, which aims to teach anyone how to build native iOS apps in Xcode with Swift.

"We're excited to work with Salesforce and that their industry-leading CRM will embrace native iOS and deliver exclusive new features on iPhone and iPad," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "With the powerful combination of iPhone, iPad and iOS -- the best hardware and software for business -- together with native Salesforce apps and the new Salesforce SDK, we can deliver great customer experiences for businesses around the world."

Apple works with a number of major enterprise companies to enable macOS and iOS devices in the workplace, and has done so for a number of years.

One major partner is IBM, which it has worked with to power IBM's Watson technology using Core ML on Apple's portable devices in 2018. In 2014, Apple and IBM embarked on the MobileFirst enterprise initiative, where Apple aids in software development while IBM handles hardware management and mobile integration, with Watson's technology also introduced to that service in 2016.

Apple also partnered with Deloitte in 2016, to promote Apple-based workflows in enterprise and rapid prototyping technologies to quickly develop solutions. Its 2018 partnership with CDW makes it easier for enterprise customers to deploy Macs and iOS devices to employees, and a 2017 partnership with Accenture involves integrating iOS with "internet of things" for clients and the further development of tools created by Apple partners Cisco and SAP.
Abbnner

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That’s amazing !!!  I can’t wait to see this come to life :) 
    rlewisphillywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    iOS continuing domination of enterprise/corporate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Salesforce is doing things smart and remaining extremely relevant as a result. Last year they announced a partnership with Google, now this partnership with Apple. All these partnerships make a lot of business sense, even if it's making it ever tougher on smaller players and startups competing with the big boys. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gatorguy said:
    Salesforce is doing things smart and remaining extremely relevant as a result. Last year they announced a partnership with Google, now this partnership with Apple. All these partnerships make a lot of business sense, even if it's making it ever tougher on smaller players and startups competing with the big boys. 

Didn't Google and Samsung partner up regarding KNOX and security a few years back (was it 2014) to try and gain in enterprise? Didn't seem to help much, if at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    gatorguy said:

Didn't Google and Samsung partner up regarding KNOX and security a few years back (was it 2014) to try and gain in enterprise? Didn't seem to help much, if at all.
    I'm not familiar enough with it, tho I recall something about Knox and enterprise stuff a few years ago. I'll take your word for it that it didn't "help". I think the Salesforce/Google partnership may be paying dividends tho. There's been at least a 400% increase in Google's enterprise GSuite adoption over the past 24 months. Salesforce looks like it will be a good partner for Apple as well. 
    edited September 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 8
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Both gleaming new HQ bldg. Large ring and giant skyscraper seem to partner well. ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

I'm not familiar enough with it, tho I recall something about Knox and enterprise stuff a few years ago. I'll take your word for it that it didn't "help". I think the Salesforce/Google partnership may be paying dividends tho. There's been at least a 400% increase in Google's enterprise GSuite adoption over the past 24 months. Salesforce looks like it will be a good partner for Apple as well. 
    Don’t need to be familiar.  It was an absolute failure and embarrassment.  Knox was found to be completely vulnerable with certain password/keys being unencrypted.  Sloppy developers.

Dont hear much about Knox anymore. Google and Samsung would rather people forget about it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    sflocal said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Don’t need to be familiar.  It was an absolute failure and embarrassment.  Knox was found to be completely vulnerable with certain password/keys being unencrypted.  Sloppy developers.

Dont hear much about Knox anymore. Google and Samsung would rather people forget about it. 
    Since you said that I did a brief search and couldn't find where Google was partnering with Samsung/Knox for enterprise use. That's both a hardware and software solution according to what I read. The closest I saw was an announcement that Samsung would contribute some of the Knox software code to Google for use in Android Lollipop and that was in 2014.  You're correct that there's been no mention of it by Google since AFAICT, but Samsung is still promoting Knox as a secure environment for business and government. 
    https://blog.centrify.com/samsung-knox-and-android-for-work/
    https://www.samsung.com/us/business/solutions/samsung-knox/

EDIT: Ah, Android for Work that integrated much of the Knox software. 
    Thanks @sflocal ;
    edited September 2018