iPhone XS Max dramatically outselling iPhone XS, Apple Watch Series 4 sales exceeding all ...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
Noted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has weighed in on early sales of Apple's new products, and is seeing massive demand for the iPhone XS Max over the iPhone XS, with Apple Watch Series 4 demand so high that supply constraints may extend unless Apple brings on more assemblers.

In a note seen by AppleInsider TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo is seeing between three and four times the demand for the iPhone XS Max versus the iPhone XS. Additionally, gold and space grey are apparently selling better than the silver color.

Kuo also believes that predicted softness in China because of high pricing won't materialize, with demand keeping shipments volume high. Worldwide, the 256GB model of the iPhone XS Max is reportedly most popular, with the 512GB one suffering from a "serious shortage" because of low NAND flash supply.

Even given the success of the iPhone XS, Kuo expects that the iPhone XR will push growth well past the launch quarters, and into calendar year 2019. Additionally, shaped LCD panels, presumably the component that forced an October commencement of sales, should see marked improvement in deliveries in October.

Overall, Kuo is expecting Apple to sell between 75 million and 80 million iPhones in the launch period. Additionally, the mix of iPhone sales, even including the lower-cost iPhone XR may boost average selling price higher than the market expectation of between $750 and $770 per unit, leading to a record quarter.

As a result of channel checks, Kuo is expecting about 19.5 million Apple Watches shipped before the end of the year, up from 18 million. Kuo's report seems contradictory to one published earlier on Monday, that claimed that iPhone sales were "weak," also citing supply channel checks.

Apple announced all three products at the "Gather round" event, on Sept. 12. The iPhone XS Max has a 6.5-inch edge-to-edge OLED screen, with the iPhone XS sticking with the 5.8-inch OLED screen found in the iPhone X from 2017. Both have improvements to the camera versus the iPhone X in hardware, with the A12 Bionic in the newer models adding an array of features to image processing.

The iPhone XR retains many of the design cues, specifically the notch, while bringing technologies like Face ID and the full-device display with a less expensive LCD screen.
superjunaid

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    For me, I am not that surprised.  Remember the more expensive 6+ when introduced?  It is pretty much the same case.

zroger73Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I LOOOOOVE my AW4.

I've already seen two on the streets (outside of people I know). They were easy to spot since they were both using the same watch face/complications in the Apple promo pics.
    tmayStrangeDaysjbdragonSpamSandwichbrucemcfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    I'm not surprised, since I didn't go for the iPhone X last year due to its small size compared to the iPhone 8 Plus. Sure it's a 5.8' screen but the width is still smaller than an iPhone 6/7/8 Plus models.

I also picked up the XS (Tennis) Max and the Series 4 Watch, running Series 0 Watch here since the beginning.
    zroger73SpamSandwichbrucemcbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Waiting to see the XR firsthand before making the jump--but I'm definitely jumping!
    radarthekatasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Looks like people want and are liking big screens.  At this rate I'd be surprised if the 5.8" XS sticks around next year.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    I'll go from a 6s along with a 4 (for second SIM function) to a Xs in December. Dual SIM won me over. Xs Max is too large for me, but I definitely see the appeal. Xs Max may win over some Galaxy Note users (who favor screen size).

I think Xr sales will be massive, especially with the AW4 with its great reviews.

Add: The "s" cycle is really underrated, especially this one.
    edited September 2018 albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Looks like people want and are liking big screens.  At this rate I'd be surprised if the 5.8" XS sticks around next year.
    I would be surprised if the 5.8" screen ever goes away.  Although the huge screen of the Max is very popular (and it's beautiful, checked one out at the apple store this weekend), I think there are tens of millions who still like the smaller form factor.  I just got my wife a new iPhone 8 (upgrade from a 6s), she thinks the X form factor is still too big because she can't access everything on the screen while holding it in one hand.  I don't have that problem with my X but of course my hands are larger.  I think for smaller hands, the smaller size is still appealing. 
    jdgazcaladanianbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    The AW4 is an absolute marvel of technology.  I upgraded from a Series 2, and this thing is night and day better.  Everything responds instantly, zero lag...I mean zero!  Having cellular is so damn nice, and even having Siri speak back questions and commands makes it so much more useful.  And that new screen on the 44mm, holy crap, so big and roomy.  I'm sure the watch will continue to improve each year, but right now it feels like this watch has finally become what was envisioned when they first introduced the idea a few years ago.  Reminds me of the leap to retina display on the iPhone and how much of a game changer that was.
    canukstormcaladanianfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Need to put Ming and Zhang in the same room and let the duke it out and see who win in the anal war.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I would have expected that all the launch weekend buyers/upgraders are the loyal nerds who want the biggest and best new phone (me included!). Long term the XR is going to be the big hit. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 11 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I fully expect the XS Max will increase in popularity once app developers (including Apple) start ponying up with updates to their apps that use the larger screen more effectively. At least some of the mainstream media sites are starting to recognize that modern iPhones (I’d say starting with the 6/6+/SE) are 4-5 year usage devices and no longer 2-year devices. This change in expected service life fundamentally changes the total cost of ownership (TCO) equation. The wildcard of course is still the battery. Fingers crossed.

Whew, the UPS “Follow My Delivery” app shows my Max just a couple of miles away. It was scheduled for the 28th but will arrive today, 4 days early.
    edited September 2018 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    I LOOOOOVE my AW4.

I've already seen two on the streets (outside of people I know). They were easy to spot since they were both using the same watch face/complications in the Apple promo pics.
    Does it look or "feel" thinner?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rattlhed said:
    I would be surprised if the 5.8" screen ever goes away.  Although the huge screen of the Max is very popular (and it's beautiful, checked one out at the apple store this weekend), I think there are tens of millions who still like the smaller form factor.  I just got my wife a new iPhone 8 (upgrade from a 6s), she thinks the X form factor is still too big because she can't access everything on the screen while holding it in one hand.  I don't have that problem with my X but of course my hands are larger.  I think for smaller hands, the smaller size is still appealing. 
    I love how we’re talking about the 5.8 as “the smaller form factor” of the iPhone line.

Im thinking the 4.7” is the size they’re going to have to decide about keeping soon, repackaged into a smaller bezeless case with any luck.
    tmay
  • Reply 14 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    No surprise because of price delta($100) from XS vs what MAX's larger screen can enhance usability. iPhone XR will also outsell both XS/Max. Next year when Apple drops both XS/MAX and upgrade 2019 XS/Max to 3 camera,5G,etc but keep the same price point; and upgrades XR with dual camera and Gig LTE than still ratio of which one sells what will remain the same as this year. iPhone XR will be runaway hit and XS Max will outsell XS. Only way XS can shine if Apple drops $100 price which Apple should have done from beginning. iPhone XR $749,XS $899, Max $1049. Each $150 price difference.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Obviously we don’t know if this is truly accurate but it wouldn’t be surprising at all. I said myself in the pre-order thread that it seemed most post were referencing orders for Series 4 watches and XS Max phones. Thought the XR would outsell the XS too. Makes more sense to get an X for a $100-$200 than the XS. 
  • Reply 16 of 36
    I've had 6+, 7+, and 8+. This time I went with the XS and I love the size and the screen size. Now, if my Series 4 would just arrive...
    RoxTarwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    I upgraded from the x to the xsmax. Doesn’t make sense to move up from the x to xs. Also I was very surprised when I went to an apple store in San Francisco they had plenty of xsmax in stock and I only had to wait maybe 10 minutes. There just aren’t lines anymore and maybe there’s just more stock available than previous years. That frenzy of waiting in line for hours doesn’t happen anymore. 
  • Reply 18 of 36
    RoxTarRoxTar Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    I went the opposite direction after 4 years with the plus screens, I was done with that size. Got the Xs and like it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I was at Best Buy looking around and wanted to check out the MAX. After looking at it, I'm glad I went with the normal XS. I like the overall size. It's a match to the phone it replaced, the iPhone 6. But the screen is just over a inch larger and going back to my 6, it now looks a little small. So I really like the overall size of the iPhone XS. Looking at the MAX, it's just to big all around.

I think the XS Max will be very popular this year. Those that got the X last year and now want a bigger phone and those upgrading that want the big phone. So it may sell in bigger numbers, at least at the start. I have a 12.9" iPad when I need a large screen. The rest of the time the XS is the current perfect size, at least for me. I get a bigger screen without getting a bigger phone.
    edited September 2018 bb-15
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Still don’t believe a word any of these analysts say, but willing to hear good solid numbers from Apple.
    appleismymiddlenamemattinoz