macOS Mojave brings you 90 changes & new features to your Mac, and it arrives today

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    About a decade ago, there was a nifty little free app called "DVD43" (DVD For Free) on Windows that would invalidate any region protection on a DVD and allow you to play/ extract the contents, without having to change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you could only do 5 times).  I wonder if there was/ is a Mac equivalent of the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    MacPro said:
    Found another Finder change.

New Folder with "name of folder" above Open in New Tab/Window

This is driving me nuts as my muscle memory selects it 100 times a day in error when I want 'open in new Tab'.  I wish I could relocate this on menu!  Where is FedIt when you need it? /sigh ;)
    I use 'open in new tab' a lot as well, but I command-doubleclick the folder, that opens it in a new tab without having to use the menu.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    michelb76 said:
    MacPro said:
    Found another Finder change.

New Folder with "name of folder" above Open in New Tab/Window

This is driving me nuts as my muscle memory selects it 100 times a day in error when I want 'open in new Tab'.  I wish I could relocate this on menu!  Where is FedIt when you need it? /sigh ;)
    I use 'open in new tab' a lot as well, but I command-doubleclick the folder, that opens it in a new tab without having to use the menu.
    Well thanks for that tip, I may well try that given my brain seems unable to learn to move the mouse down that extra one line when working quickly.  This totally different method may be easier on my gray cells.  I do miss the days we could customize our own menus on Macs ...  Frankly I am at a loss as to know why anyone would want to open a folder in a newly created one or at least why it so important as to be top of the menu list.  Then again maybe this is a beta thing that may go away ... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

About a decade ago, there was a nifty little free app called "DVD43" (DVD For Free) on Windows that would invalidate any region protection on a DVD and allow you to play/ extract the contents, without having to change the region settings on the DVD drive (which you could only do 5 times).  I wonder if there was/ is a Mac equivalent of the same.
    I have a vague memory of being able to invalidate regional settings for a limited number of times on a Mac too, just can't remember how or with what, heck I can hardly remember CDs and DVDs either.  lol.  How technology changes eh?   I had to buy a Philips Cassette on Amazon last week to test a a Tascam Studio 688 multitrack analog deck/mixer (and we didn't use the word analog back then) and I had long since thrown all my cassettes out.  Unbelievable that I didn't't have a single one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    I can’t believe I’m the first one to point this out: in the appearance panel, you finally get a plethora of accent colour choices other than the classic Aqua and Graphite, just like in Mac OS 8-9.

This level of customization was unthinkable in the post-candy-coloured Mac era, and it still feels surprising, as you only get, at most, a choice of four muted casing colors and just on the MacBook line. I’m guessing they realized that those vibrant accent colours would pair well (better than either Aqua and Graphite, as a matter of fact) with the new, full-on dark mode.

Anyway, let’s take a moment to appreciate the fact that having two radically different modes with several variations amounts, basically, to a simplified and official Shapeshifter of sorts. Apple just Sherlocked those guys, only with a bit of a delay because clamping down on system tampering was a priority.

I’m ecstatic about this, but it also means 10 times more work to create updated ByteController skins. Oh well.

P.S.: I only tested this functionality on a 2012 cMBP I just bought (and which, alas, I will try to return to the seller as the Optical Bay craps out with SATA III drives… but not before trying out Mojave and my old, unsupported Wacom tablet), so… can anyone do so on a new MacBook Pro and tell us whether the accent colour is changed accordingly on the Touch Bar as well?
    edited June 2018 watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 38
    So the Photos app in OSX wasn't updated to keep up with the iOS version ? Or will the iOS version eventually come to OSX ?
  • Reply 27 of 38
    "(coming in 2019) the ability to port iOS apps over to the Mac"....I smell touch-screen Macs in the kitchen.

• Reply 28 of 38
    Stacks is not exactly new. Some probably not remember older Mac OS X. The only change is that you can manage all files like that.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    "Knows about celebrities". Who gives about them? Maybe we can find more productive ways than working around "prophets" who are simply entertainers and nothing else? I hope Siri will not "know about politicians" next. How about knowing facfts from history, geography, biology and other areas? Let's educate - not procratstinate.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    jblongz said:
    "(coming in 2019) the ability to port iOS apps over to the Mac"....I smell touch-screen Macs in the kitchen.
    Why do people keep saying shit like this? Apple is remarkably transparent about this. They've explained why they made Marzipan, they've explained that they don't believe in touch Macs, their explanations make sense. 

Look at how Messages in Mac is completely out of date compared to iOS — sync is still wonky, lacks features like Apple Pay, Tap Backs are all wrong — Marzipan will let apps like Messages keep a common code base and feature set between both platforms, with a Mac UI for Mac. That's it.
    edited September 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    jblongz said:
    Why do people keep saying shit like this? Apple is remarkably transparent about this. They've explained why they made Marzipan, they've explained that they don't believe in touch Macs, their explanations make sense. 

Look at how Messages in Mac is completely out of date compared to iOS — sync is still wonky, lacks features like Apple Pay, Tap Backs are all wrong — Marzipan will let apps like Messages keep a common code base and feature set between both platforms, with a Mac UI for Mac. That's it.
    If I see anything that could potentially bridge the gap it would be the iPad being plugged into a monitor that would that push a Mac-like UI to that external display and all for either a BT keyboard/mouse/trackpad and/or a wired keyboard/mouse/trackpad connected to the external monitor's built-in hub.

That display would not be touch-sensitive. We're already seeing code in iOS 12.1 for iPad that will allow for up to a 4K external display. Plus, we know Apple's ARM chips are even more powerful than many of the Intel CPUs being used in Macs today, and Apple has had many years or allowing two UIs being available in their iPhone; the second being their CarPlay UI which resides in iOS, not in the car's infotainment system. This would be easier than CarPlay because they won't have to work with automotive companies and it's just standard protocols to send display, USB, and Ethernet data over a USB 3.0 cable.

I have no idea if this will happen, but it certainly could happen, and might be a way to both buoy iPad sales and be a gateway to selling more Macs.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    What you're describing sounds like those goofy plans Microsoft had for running Windows on a phone that could plug into a display someday… seems to run contrary to the entire Apple strategy IMO. The benefits to carrying your digital life in your pocket are nullified by iCloud.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    What you're describing sounds like those goofy plans Microsoft had for running Windows on a phone that could plug into a display someday… seems to run contrary to the entire Apple strategy IMO. The benefits to carrying your digital life in your pocket are nullified by iCloud.
    Somewhat, but I'm talking about a smartphone or a Mac, and I'm not talking about the anemic systems that MS, Sony, and others tried years ago. I wouldn't even expect it on a regular iPad if Apple ever decides to go that route. On top of that, again, Apple already has had great success with dual UIs in iOS for years so I doubt this would be difficult for them if the performance and need ever line up.

That said, we still don't have ARM-based Macs today, but I think most can see how that could be feasible, despite just a few years ago I was constantly told on this very forum that it would never ever happen.
    dedepetersen
  • Reply 34 of 38
    dysamoria said:
    Wait, why were the Mission Control mouse options removed? Are they somewhere else or do we no longer have hot corners?
    Hoping they were just moved, as I've been using hot corners for Mission Control/reveal Desktop and preventing the screen saver. Hopefully just moved/consolidated somewhere? Some of the System Preferences organization has been needing an overhaul.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    mainyehc said:
    I can’t believe I’m the first one to point this out: in the appearance panel, you finally get a plethora of accent colour choices other than the classic Aqua and Graphite, just like in Mac OS 8-9.

This level of customization was unthinkable in the post-candy-coloured Mac era, and it still feels surprising, as you only get, at most, a choice of four muted casing colors and just on the MacBook line. I’m guessing they realized that those vibrant accent colours would pair well (better than either Aqua and Graphite, as a matter of fact) with the new, full-on dark mode.

Anyway, let’s take a moment to appreciate the fact that having two radically different modes with several variations amounts, basically, to a simplified and official Shapeshifter of sorts. Apple just Sherlocked those guys, only with a bit of a delay because clamping down on system tampering was a priority.

I’m ecstatic about this, but it also means 10 times more work to create updated ByteController skins. Oh well.

P.S.: I only tested this functionality on a 2012 cMBP I just bought (and which, alas, I will try to return to the seller as the Optical Bay craps out with SATA III drives… but not before trying out Mojave and my old, unsupported Wacom tablet), so… can anyone do so on a new MacBook Pro and tell us whether the accent colour is changed accordingly on the Touch Bar as well?
    Wow, I've been wondering why we've been stuck with those two options for forever! This is a welcome change. I am looking forward to upgrading to a new 2018 MBP so I can enjoy Mojave's Dark Mode and custom accent color. :)

The optical bays in the 2011/2012 models are notoriously finicky with SSDs. I thought the 2012s were safer, but if I recall I think some work well and others don't, and it has to do with shielding. You can also find DIY SSD shielding projects where people got it working. I just used a spinner instead in that bay and kept the SSD in the main drive bay.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    I was hoping the screen capture would include being able to send screen shots straight to Photos  app. Are there any third party apps that do this on Mac OS?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I like the dark interface but hate the new view finder mainly the gallery. Why did they not just use the gallery and replace the icon, columns or list view. The gallery not only is too small but to scroll through takes up too much time waiting for it to load. It is great that the images are larger in the main box but you cannot scroll from the large area and that makes it more difficult. The small icons at the bottom even in the larger mode are still hard to see and you cannot just zoom through your files like before. I will be loosing a lot of time in production because of this... "Not so innovative mistake!" This new change is NOT USER FRIENDLY! That is what Mac is about no complications RIGHT?
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Nice video thank you. A lot has changed looks exciting but still disappointed with the gallery view. I like the old view