Some iPhone XS & XS Max owners complaining of poor wireless reception

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2018
The first few days after release are proving rocky for some iPhone XS and XS Max owners, who are coping with bad Wi-Fi and cellular connections on their new mobile devices.

Apple iPhone XS

At the moment AppleInsider can confirm there are scattered complaints about the issue. This includes posts on Apple support forums, Reddit, and elsewhere.

Affected people are having a harder time connecting to the internet, and seeing slower speeds than older iPhones when they are successful. The glitch doesn't appear to be limited to a single carrier or region, which may support the hypothesis of an iOS 12 issue than something network-specific.

There are other possibilities however, such as a hardware defect in some but not all production models. Initial surveys of service locations don't see a large number of complaints as of yet, and none of AppleInsider's units manifest the problem.

Apple infamously dealt with a so-called "Antennagate" following the 2010 launch of the iPhone 4, in which people discovered that holding the phone a certain way caused interference. The company pointed out that rival's products had similar problems.

Since then, Apple has redesigned its antenna layouts several times, both to get around grip concerns and adapt to new back materials and designs. The XS and XS Max have a new antenna line along the bottom, which should theoretically improve wireless connectivity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    no problem here with my xs max - must we have reference Antennagate with every bug report?
    zroger73appleismymiddlenameSoundJudgmentGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 43
    We had the same issue last year when the 8 came out, Apple keep insisting it was carrier issue, and after a carrier update the problem went away. Apple is using a new cellular modem and i think this has something to do with it and the fact the carries have to propagate software update throughout their network.

I know when I updated my iPhone to IOS 12 immediate afterward I got a notice for a carrier update, after the update it took some time to re-establish connection to AT&T network.
    appleismymiddlenameBart Y
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Crappy Intel Modems. 

I get worse reception inside my house with my Verizon XS Max than last years iPhone X. 
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 4 of 43
    markbyrn said:
    no problem here with my xs max - must we have reference Antennagate with every bug report?
    well obviously if it works for you its impossible for anyone of the other million+ users to have issues and must just be making shit up. 
    stanhope
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I think it’s related to iOS 12. I’ve noticed similar problems on my iPad Pro and 6S since updating. 
    mike54stanhope
  • Reply 6 of 43
    My Xs Max has crappy reception, but so did the iPhone 6s Plus that it replaced and so does the AcuraLink system in my vehicle - all using the same carrier. :)
  • Reply 7 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    I do have to say that upgrading/migrating all of my iCloud and iTunes account information from a 6 Plus to the XS Max has been much more bumpy than I could have imagined. The first bump was when the new phone asked my for an AppleId 2FA code send via SMS to my phone number. I never got the code and the migration process simply crapped its pants, the phone became unresponsive, and I had to erase and start over from scratch using my Recovery Key. Since I have separate AppleId accounts for iCloud and iTunes (not of my choosing but an infinite penalty imposed on anyone stupid enough to have purchased MobileMe) it wasn't clear which one it needed. Then for reasons unknown the migration process named my new phone with the same name as my old phone, which caused my "iTunes in the Cloud" to get confused about which devices were authorized. Next, I tried to pair my Apple Watch S0 to my new phone and restore its setting from the last backup. After about 45 minutes of seeing the "ring of tick marks" very slowly advance, one micro-tick at a time, it finally finished, restarted, and crashed hard. Back to square one on the Apple Watch pairing, which I will not restore from backup this time but setup as a new watch. Wish me luck.

Times like these remind us of a few things: 1) the Apple Watch S0 is one amazingly slow device, 2) if there is the slightest window where moving important information from one device to another can fail - assume it will, 3) make sure you have your Apple Id recovery keys available, 4) defer whatever you can until after the migration process (pairing with Apple Watch, setting up Apple Pay, etc.), 4) be prepared to waste a few hours or a day or two dealing with the inane claptrap that bringing a new iPhone into your life involves. It's obvious that Apple has tried to make this as easy and foolproof as possible, but with so many moving parts it's hard not to lose a few fingers or a little piece of your sanity in the process. In a day or two or a week - all will be forgiven.
    wlymcaladanianlarrya
  • Reply 8 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    markbyrn said:
    Exactly, It's like mentioning the Titanic every time there's a shipping accident, or having to bring up the Edsel every time Ford introduces a new car. It's ancient history. Just let it go.
    markbyrnllamaStrangeDayszeus423GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 43
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    dewme said:
    I do have to say that upgrading/migrating all of my iCloud and iTunes account information from a 6 Plus to the XS Max has been much more bumpy than I could have imagined. The first bump was when the new phone asked my for an AppleId 2FA code send via SMS to my phone number. I never got the code and the migration process simply crapped its pants, the phone became unresponsive, and I had to erase and start over from scratch using my Recovery Key. Since I have separate AppleId accounts for iCloud and iTunes (not of my choosing but an infinite penalty imposed on anyone stupid enough to have purchased MobileMe) it wasn't clear which one it needed. Then for reasons unknown the migration process named my new phone with the same name as my old phone, which caused my "iTunes in the Cloud" to get confused about which devices were authorized. Next, I tried to pair my Apple Watch S0 to my new phone and restore its setting from the last backup. After about 45 minutes of seeing the "ring of tick marks" very slowly advance, one micro-tick at a time, it finally finished, restarted, and crashed hard. Back to square one on the Apple Watch pairing, which I will not restore from backup this time but setup as a new watch. Wish me luck.

Times like these remind us of a few things: 1) the Apple Watch S0 is one amazingly slow device, 2) if there is the slightest window where moving important information from one device to another can fail - assume it will, 3) make sure you have your Apple Id recovery keys available, 4) defer whatever you can until after the migration process (pairing with Apple Watch, setting up Apple Pay, etc.), 4) be prepared to waste a few hours or a day or two dealing with the inane claptrap that bringing a new iPhone into your life involves. It's obvious that Apple has tried to make this as easy and foolproof as possible, but with so many moving parts it's hard not to lose a few fingers or a little piece of your sanity in the process. In a day or two or a week - all will be forgiven.
    Yikes, that really dampens the joy of a new iPhone! Waiting for my Xs (replacing a 6s). I hope it goes more smoothly for me.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Uh, oh! They're holding it wrong, yet again. Why is it there are no issues with any of the latest and greatest Samsung flagship smartphones? The Galaxy S9/S9+ and the Galaxy Note 9 are said to be perfect in every way. Why do iPhones always have some major issue that is being tossed around the internet at gigabit speeds? /s
  • Reply 11 of 43
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Crappy Intel Modems. 

I get worse reception inside my house with my Verizon XS Max than last years iPhone X. 
    And that’s why I‘m avoiding upgrading my 7+ and 8+ even though it would be great to be on one phone for both lines.   At these prices the phone needs to work as a phone.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    I am experiencing this on my XSM. I’ve noticed it is regularly connecting to the 2.4 ghz network rather than 5 ghz. I run an eero mesh network so I can’t separate the SSID. When connected to 5 ghz, it seems okay. I can see the band connection in the eero app. I’m sitting right next to the router and it connects and holds 2.4. The X did not have this issue even on iOS 12. I ran the beta for several weeks and the GM. Hopefully a software update can fix it. 
    stephanjobs
  • Reply 13 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    markbyrn said:
    well obviously if it works for you its impossible for anyone of the other million+ users to have issues and must just be making shit up. 
    The point being that these kinds of reports come out with EVERY SINGLE IPHONE EVER RELEASED. As time goes on they disappear. Don’t try to inflate something that doesn’t exist.
    DAalsethshark5150GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 43
    I'm unfortunately experiencing this with my Xs Max. When I come home, it will take my phone at least a good 5 minutes or more to finally connect to my wifi. If I leave home, my phone won't connect right away to Verizon's LTE network. My phone will show full bars, but when I try going to a website on Safari, nothing happens. After a few minutes, the internet will finally work. Verizon does seem slower to me on the Xs Max compared to my X. I haven't noticed a speed difference using my home wifi. 
    rossb2mike54
  • Reply 15 of 43
    markbyrn said:
    Well… Sadly I can say this…

I am called by many people (friends&family) an Apple sheep. I’ve always maintained that I am a Techy  and I just prefer for Apple products  over there build Quality and general reliable performance.

I’ve always defended Apple, from and to various gates, to the battery software, etc. 

With that said I can 100% confirm that I am definitely seeing a massive difference in the way this phone performs with my Wi-Fi network than with any other past iPhone.

Maybe if iOS12 or maybe it’s something with in the iPhone XS max. But I can tell you that on daily basis, and hourly basis I have to turn off and on my iPhones Wi-Fi to get it work again. 

Hopefully software are will fix it. 

Luckily I can screen record this activity. 
    appleismymiddlename
  • Reply 16 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    markbyrn said:
    The point being that these kinds of reports come out with EVERY SINGLE IPHONE EVER RELEASED. As time goes on they disappear. Don’t try to inflate something that doesn’t exist.
    amazing observations, things get better as updates get released! Bugs do exist at release time they are real and thats why we get patches. Dismissing the possibiity of bugs existing on a brand new release of a major piece of new software on brand new hardware is being a dumb fanboy.
    edited September 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 17 of 43
    A 5s and 6s in the family are exhibiting less reliable cellular connections since being upgraded to iOS 12.  I expect an iOS 12 update is in the offing.
    mike54
  • Reply 18 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    markbyrn said:
    amazing observations, things get better as updates get released! Bugs do exist at release time they are real and thats why we get patches. Dismissing the possibiity of bugs existing on a brand new release of a major piece of new software on brand new hardware is being a dumb fanboy.
    Get a grip. People can have issues without something being a bug or glitch that requires a patch. If you at all follow the history of releases you’ll know that some users have issues no matter what. Assuming everything is Apple’s fault is being a dumb hater.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    I've had some WiFi issues with IOS 12 on both an iPhone X and iPhone XS, using a somewhat old but otherwise healthy Cisco 2702E AP. LTE performance on Verizon's network has been solid so far, even though I'm in an area with poor reception. In areas with good reception, the XS is noticeably faster than the X. Just my sample size of one, your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    I'm finding that my cellular reception on Verizon in NYC is definitely worse on my XS Max than my X. And further confirmation that the issue is XS specific: at a restaurant Sat night, seated next to my girlfriend who has a Verizon iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 12. She had no issues getting online via cellular connection while I had no reception. I even rebooted, in case I was having a connection anomaly, but no--same thing after a restart, no reception.