Apple Watch Series 4 teardown shows slight battery increase, svelte new components

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Although similar to the Series 3 on the surface apart from its larger screen and EKG technology, the Series 4 Watch shows some serious efforts at interior redesign, an early teardown of the device reveals.

Apple Watch Series 4

Apple is using new case and button designs, and the display is thinner, according to iFixit. The company has also optimized other components, for instance shrinking the Taptic Engine, though it is longer. In the Series 4, the Taptic Engine "clicks" as people turn the crown.

The new Watch is also believed to have a relocated barometric sensor, placed inside the speaker grille. In any case the sensor no longer has a separate hole as on the Series 3.

Battery-wise the Series 4 has a 1.113 watt-hour supply, 4 percent greater than the 1.07 watt-hours before. This is notable because the redesigned case is about 6 percent thinner.

Apple Watch Series 4 battery

iFixit rates the device 6 out of 10 for repairability, commenting that screen replacements are "difficult but do-able," and that battery replacements are "pretty straightforward" once the screen is off. Obstacles to repairs include extremely small tri-point screws, and the Watch's S4 system-on-chip, to which some flex cables are mounted directly. Most board repairs are said to be "impossible."

The Series 4 launched in a number of countries last Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Yea but my daughter's battery won't hold a charge, was full charged by 4 hours of hardly any use it was down to 26% took it to Apple but they didn't have a replacement for it now she may not get the next one until November....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mwhite said:
    Yea but my daughter's battery won't hold a charge, was full charged by 4 hours of hardly any use it was down to 26% took it to Apple but they didn't have a replacement for it now she may not get the next one until November....
    You've posted this a few times. So your Watch is under warranty? If so just send it in via mail for battery replacement service. If not you still can but they'll charge $79 for it. 

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service/pricing
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mwhite said:
    You've posted this a few times. So your Watch is under warranty? If so just send it in via mail for battery replacement service. If not you still can but they'll charge $79 for it. 

https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service/pricing
    It's brand new they should of fixed it at the Apple store she went into or had extra's for replacements, they know not all will be perfect.....

edited September 2018
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mwhite said:
    You should give it a few days. New user enthusiasm can drain a battery, as can simply completing the initial installation of all the apps, data, etc. Your daughter could have a dud, or she could find that battery performance goes back to normal after the first day.
    docno42watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Disappointed that I can't buy a Watch 4, 44mm GPS in Gold Stainless Steel.  I think only GPS + LTE has Gold Stainless option.  I understand the marketing reason and am willing to pay more but have no need to have LTE with the increased AT&T monthly charge.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    AppleZulu said:
    mwhite said:
    You should give it a few days. New user enthusiasm can drain a battery, as can simply completing the initial installation of all the apps, data, etc. Your daughter could have a dud, or she could find that battery performance goes back to normal after the first day.
    Thanks, I suggested it to my daughter but she said even Apple said there was a problem with her watch.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 7 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mwhite said:
    AppleZulu said:
    mwhite said:
    Thanks, I suggested it to my daughter but she said even Apple said there was a problem with her watch.
    Are you saying that they don't have any of that model in the store to buy until November? I don't see how they would know that since they've always told me that they get deliveries every day.

IOW, return it for full price and then just buy another one.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Disappointed that I can't buy a Watch 4, 44mm GPS in Gold Stainless Steel.  I think only GPS + LTE has Gold Stainless option.  I understand the marketing reason and am willing to pay more but have no need to have LTE with the increased AT&T monthly charge.
    How about having LTE without a monthly charge but still getting access to emergency services and a much better resale value in the future? Would that be acceptable to you?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Just like with the iPad, just because it is LTE capable doesn't mean you have to activate it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Personally, I would pay for the LTE even if I didn’t intend to use it, for the peice of mind to be able to call 911 emergency services in those instances, however rare, I didn’t have my phone.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra