Review: The iPhone XS Max is what Apple has always promised the iPhone could be

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Who is to say that Apple will not make a device that is much smaller than the new Xs series phones ?  We simply do not know.
    It will not be difficult for them to make a small phone , Star Trek Communicator, that will do much more than today's phone, except for the display.
    I just received my Series 4 watch and it is a nice device.  I can hear and be heard better on it than on my iPhone.  One day Apple will pull a solar charging display out of a hat and the watch battery will last much longer .
    Actually, I prefer the smaller phone, a larger keyboard as on my old MacBook Air, or 13 or 15 " Mac.
    Software is the real name of the game.  No software, no Sale.  No reason to have a computer , because I sure as heck am not going to rack my brain trying to write some code at my age.  I remember the Apple 1, 2 , 3, the Mac in a Box, etc and the Watch is a small Miracle - with more to come.'

No one knows what Steve Jobs would want today.  Even Steve would be impressed or maybe I don't really know that !

radarthekatcornchipwilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 48
    macgui said:

The iPhone XS Max is what Apple has always promised the iPhone could be

Except for being a slab that Jobs said nobody would want. Even a 7 or 8 is bigger than I like.  I'll assume the SE form factor, is dead, buried, gone for ever.  But I'd snap an update version in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have to be an Xs in SE's clothing, just some more performance, and maybe an edge to edge screen. 
    I understand what you're saying, but the wider user base proved him wrong when the iPhone 6 Plus launched. 
    Has it?

I mean look at Apple's iCloud account numbers which seem to have outgrown device sales since phones got larger with the iPhone 6 and 6Plus launch. That to me would suggest a big customer base who held on to iPhone5s and 5c or moved to Apple with the SE because the OEM's abandoned the market for a decent reasonably sized phone. Sure also a sizable group with hand me downs, then agian hand me downs pay to market demand for smaller phone like phone.

There would seem to be a potentially value market who agree with SJ and are willing to pay a premium going un-serviced.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Soli said:
    macgui said:
    Except for being a slab that Jobs said nobody would want.
    Are you suggesting that if Jobs were still alive and running Apple that they'd still only be making iPhones with 3.5" displays? Let's be clear that Jobs was notorious for saying something as subterfuge and/or changing his mind latter. One such example is the iPod that could play videos, which I think was the next release after his infamous statement. So, if Jobs has a penchant for making such statements then why bring him up 7 years after his death as proof of anything?
    Good points. Another example of Jobs changing his mind is with 3rd party apps on the iPhone. At first he didn’t want that. Obviously he later came to a different conclusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/appsblog/2011/oct/24/steve-jobs-apps-iphone

Tim Cook has said that Jobs was very open to new ideas and was flexible in changing his POV. 

http://allthingsd.com/20120529/steve-jobs-was-an-awesome-flip-flopper-says-tim-cook/

The snarky claims that Steve Jobs would never change his positions on tech is nonsense. 

radarthekatphilboogie
  • Reply 24 of 48
    kwalkerk said:
    While I agree with almost everything in the review, I have one huge drawback with my new Xs Max.  Battery life.  I upgraded from a 6s+ which would easily go all day with my usage pattern.  Now I'm lucky if the Xs Max makes it to mid afternoon before needing a recharge.  Going to monitor a couple more days, and if no improvement will be taking it back to ATT.
    I have no idea how you’re burning through the battery in half a day. I’m a heavy user and the XS Max gets most of the way through 2 days, and that’s with pretty heavy Personal Hotspot use, lots of productivity apps and talk time over my AirPods and car Bluetooth (not CarPlay)

Have you checked which apps are using the battery? Are you in a poor signal area? 
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Left unmentioned is the elephant in the room -- the XR.

For a lot of average users, the extra camera and OLED screen simply won't be enough to justify the additional $350 + tax.

The XR has the same virtual display area as the Max, albeit slightly smaller physically and with lower density.  326ppi doesn't sound on good on paper as 458ppi, but then again there are no widespread complaints about the 10.5" iPad Pro's 264ppi, and Samsung's boasts about its higher resolution screens before Apple adopted them were dismissed as unnecessary and insignificant in real life.  If the LCD screen is good, as Apple's traditionally have been, it makes the OLED less of a selling point.

Faster wireless (reach your data cap and throttling faster!), additional RAM and 3D Touch?  Won't be noticed by non-techies.

Things will get much more interesting in about a month.

cornchipmacplusplus
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mattinoz said:
    macgui said:

Except for being a slab that Jobs said nobody would want. Even a 7 or 8 is bigger than I like.  I'll assume the SE form factor, is dead, buried, gone for ever.  But I'd snap an update version in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have to be an Xs in SE's clothing, just some more performance, and maybe an edge to edge screen. 
    I understand what you're saying, but the wider user base proved him wrong when the iPhone 6 Plus launched. 
    Has it?

I mean look at Apple's iCloud account numbers which seem to have outgrown device sales since phones got larger with the iPhone 6 and 6Plus launch. That to me would suggest a big customer base who held on to iPhone5s and 5c or moved to Apple with the SE because the OEM's abandoned the market for a decent reasonably sized phone. Sure also a sizable group with hand me downs, then agian hand me downs pay to market demand for smaller phone like phone.

There would seem to be a potentially value market who agree with SJ and are willing to pay a premium going un-serviced.

What you've done here is take your desire for Apple to make a smaller phone and then look for a stat to support it. That's not how investigation works. There are far too many other variables to consider to make your reasoning close to being correct.

Other reasons that iCloud numbers have seen a dramatic increase:
    It has become increasingly difficult to use any iPhone without an iCloud account
    With additional support for the web, iCloud has become more cross-platform.
    AppleTV also requires an iCloud account to get the most out of it.
    Apple Music, and now Apple Music on Android.
    More developers will have iCloud accounts 
    Lots of folk have iPads, who don't have an iPhone.

Over the years, the reasons for having an iCloud account have increased, irrespective of owning an iPhone5s/5c

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 48
    My XS arrived yesterday... It is wicked fast [noticably] at everything I tried.  I set it up as a new phone (no FaceID,or password, no user accounts) so the grandkids can play with it for a few days.

One other thing that really impressed me is the packaging.  The iPhone XS box in not sealed in a cellophane wrapper -- rather it has a pull-tab plastic covering -- no knife needed to open the box.
    philboogie
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Rayz2016 said:
    mattinoz said:
    macgui said:

Has it?

What you've done here is take your desire for Apple to make a smaller phone and then look for a stat to support it. That's not how investigation works. There are far too many other variables to consider to make your reasoning close to being correct.

It has become increasingly difficult to use any iPhone without an iCloud account

Over the years, the reasons for having an iCloud account have increased, irrespective of owning an iPhone5s/5c

Bingo!

For our household of 5, Apple subscription plans are a no-brainer (iCloud, iMusic, iPhone Upgrade Program).  

As to the IUP, I can remember way back when Bell Telephone (Now AT&T) ruled the world... You paid $ for monthly phone service (normally a shared  party line) and more $ to rent the phone (owned by Bell).

My Grandfather was an executive at Bell and arranged 2 wired-to-the-wall private lines and 2 rented phones for my parents home -- in 1950 dollars it cost more than we pay today for 5 mobile iPhones and 5 AT&T cell Phone accounts on a family plan.  And we get so, so, so much more!

I suspect that Apple will add an upgrade program for the AppleWatch to make it a no-brainer purchase, too...  Who wouldn't pay $12/month for a heart monitor/EKG/health device -- especially if it is underwritten by your insurance company,
    thtphilboogie
  • Reply 29 of 48
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    And then you drop it and there goes 2.200 USD :lol: 

avon b7
  • Reply 30 of 48
    macgui said:

"The best iPhone ever"
    "what the iPhone has promised to be..."
    And other loads of guff IMHO.

No it isn't. Less battery life and far, far to big for an awful lot of people. Sorry Apple, you have produced a phone for those that want the 'bling' and the 'bigger is best crowd'. There is a sizeable minority who are just not going to budge from their current devices until they really, really have to and then there is a chance that you could lose them to Android devices.
    It is clear to me that Apple just decided that keeping all their existing customer base happy is a waste of time and nowhere near profitable enough. A double whammy to us.

Personally, I've decided to get an iPhone 8 in a years time. The size is perfect for me and my use case.
    jumecornchipphilboogie
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    macgui said:

"The best iPhone ever"

No it isn't. Less battery life and far, far to big for an awful lot of people. Sorry Apple, you have produced a phone for those that want the 'bling' and the 'bigger is best crowd'. There is a sizeable minority who are just not going to budge from their current devices until they really, really have to and then there is a chance that you could lose them to Android devices.
    It is clear to me that Apple just decided that keeping all their existing customer base happy is a waste of time and nowhere near profitable enough. A double whammy to us.

Personally, I've decided to get an iPhone 8 in a years time. The size is perfect for me and my use case.
    You are not the only one!
  • Reply 32 of 48
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    macgui said:

I love my 5s. Only two reasons I’m looking to upgrade: 1 storage. Crazy 64GB isn’t enough. Screen brightness. Sat in a puddle of water for 30min once & I think it damaged the screen driver somehow. I’ve replaced the screen on it twice and full brightness is really like 50%. 

I’d love to have an edge-to-edge SE like in that rendering from a few months back... maybe we’ll get a little surprise this spring...? :/ 
    philboogie
  • Reply 33 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Rayz2016 said:
    mattinoz said:
    macgui said:

Has it?

Bingo!

For our household of 5, Apple subscription plans are a no-brainer (iCloud, iMusic, iPhone Upgrade Program).  

As to the IUP, I can remember way back when Bell Telephone (Now AT&T) ruled the world... You paid $ for monthly phone service (normally a shared  party line) and more $ to rent the phone (owned by Bell).

My Grandfather was an executive at Bell and arranged 2 wired-to-the-wall private lines and 2 rented phones for my parents home -- in 1950 dollars it cost more than we pay today for 5 mobile iPhones and 5 AT&T cell Phone accounts on a family plan.  And we get so, so, so much more!

I suspect that Apple will add an upgrade program for the AppleWatch to make it a no-brainer purchase, too...  Who wouldn't pay $12/month for a heart monitor/EKG/health device -- especially if it is underwritten by your insurance company,
    Reports are that some health insurers will start requiring monitoring as part the coverage plan. Apple Watch is on a path to do just that, and with privacy assured.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    macgui said:

You’ve never said something and then thought about that same thing differently years later ? I know I have

It’s impossible to know what he would think or say today as he has been gone for years. You’re using what he said years ago when the market was different to fit your narrative of the necessity of a smaller phone. 

You truly believe that if the SE form factor was flying out the door by the millions every quarter Apple would discontinue it ? The market has proven that the vast majority of people don’t want a phone in this size. That’s really all that matters honestly. How is the market overall taking to this product. Not what Jobs mentioned years ago when phones of this size and power did not exist. 
  • Reply 35 of 48
    kwalkerk said:
    While I agree with almost everything in the review, I have one huge drawback with my new Xs Max.  Battery life.  I upgraded from a 6s+ which would easily go all day with my usage pattern.  Now I'm lucky if the Xs Max makes it to mid afternoon before needing a recharge.  Going to monitor a couple more days, and if no improvement will be taking it back to ATT.
    Speaking of battery life, just read this today:

hhttps://appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/25/last-years-iphone-x-beats-iphone-xs-xs-max-in-battery-life-test
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 36 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    jcs2305 said:
    macgui said:

You’ve never said something and then thought about that same thing differently years later ? I know I have

It’s impossible to know what he would think or say today as he has been gone for years. You’re using what he said years ago when the market was different to fit your narrative of the necessity of a smaller phone. 

You truly believe that if the SE form factor was flying out the door by the millions every quarter Apple would discontinue it ? The market has proven that the vast majority of people don’t want a phone in this size. That’s really all that matters honestly. How is the market overall taking to this product. Not what Jobs mentioned years ago when phones of this size and power did not exist. 
    I agree with you that the SE isn't a big seller, but there is a chance down the road that there will be an X version in a small form factor. Seems to me driven more by battery life considerations for that form factor, than anything else. I don't think that people want it performance limited.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    "The best iPhone ever"

People who prefer small phones moving to Android devices? - There is NO half decent Android phone available all over the world. Only Sony was making them until last year. All other Android OEMs have STOPPED making decent small phones. Only choice for iPhone SE users is to move to the "currently available smallest sized phone from Apple". In current scenario, it would mean iPhone 7 or iPhone 8. They don't have ANY other choice.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Soli said:
    macgui said:
    Are you suggesting that if Jobs were still alive and running Apple that they'd still only be making iPhones with 3.5" displays? Let's be clear that Jobs was notorious for saying something as subterfuge and/or changing his mind latter. One such example is the iPod that could play videos, which I think was the next release after his infamous statement. So, if Jobs has a penchant for making such statements then why bring him up 7 years after his death as proof of anything?
    It's very disingenuous, and hypocritical to mock and ridicule something, then turning around and do that very thing. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    macgui said:
    It's very disingenuous, and hypocritical to mock and ridicule something, then turning around and do that very thing. 
    ??? What thing did I mock and ridicule? Jobs ability to change his mind after realizing something else is better or his ability for misdirection as not to tip Apple's hand too soon?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    macgui 'said:
    ??? What thing did I mock and ridicule? Jobs ability to change his mind after realizing something else is better or his ability for misdirection as not to tip Apple's hand too soon?
    I didn’t mean you. Steve spoke in absolutes when he said "you can't get your hand around it", and "no one's going to buy that". We did not grow larger hands overnight  and people were longing for a big iPhone when the first big Androids were introduced.

I prefer to speak ambiguously, because that way my integrity is never up for questioning. 
    Solimuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon