Some iPhone XS & XS Max owners complaining of poor wireless reception

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    I have noticed it on my new iPhone XS Max and my 4K Apple TV that is hard connected to my router. I have a 100mbs internet connection and I can play YouTube videos through my Samsung QLED 8 tv with no buffering, however through the Apple 4K TV it buffers and says no internet connection sporadically.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    So "the iPhone XS Max is what Apple has always promised the iPhone could be," except for "some iPhone XS & XS Max owners complaining of poor wireless reception"?

Maybe the articles should have been released in reverse order?  :-)
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Dwayne4C said:
    I have noticed it on my new iPhone XS Max and my 4K Apple TV that is hard connected to my router. I have a 100mbs internet connection and I can play YouTube videos through my Samsung QLED 8 tv with no buffering, however through the Apple 4K TV it buffers and says no internet connection sporadically.
    I'm having YouTube buffering issues on my direct-connect AppleTV 4K as well. Only thing is that those issues were on the 4K BEFORE the tvOS 12 update.
    Dwayne4C
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Why do people here always assume if someone is having an issue it’s not really an issue (or is user error)?

I just got a new iPhone and Apple Watch. I went through all the proper steps of unpairing my old watch from my old phone before setting up my new phone. But after the new phone was set up I had no health or activity data on my phone. It was turned on in iCloud in settings so it should have backed up. I’m also missing photos I took with my new phone on Friday. They’re not showing up on the phone nor can I see them on icloud.com.

I called Apple support and they had me sign out of iCloud and sign back in. I did that and my activity data showed up but everything else was missing - all my photos, iCloud music library, stored Apple Pay credit card information. Basically anything that syncs to iCloud. So I called Apple support again about 6 hours later and they had me sign out of iCloud and sign back in again. One hour later and my phone screen still has a spinning icon that says “Signing in to iCloud”. I called Apple support for a 3rd time and they couldn’t tell me how long it would take. All the told me is I have to keep my phone unlocked until it signs me in. And that it could take 24 hours for photos, music and other items to reappear on my phone. Now I’m stuck babysitting my phone all evening until it finally signs me in (assuming it eventually does). In what universe is this a superior user experience? Sorry Steve, “it just works” is BS.

gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 43
    hmlongco said:
    Dwayne4C said:
    I'm having YouTube buffering issues on my direct-connect AppleTV 4K as well. Only thing is that those issues were on the 4K BEFORE the tvOS 12 update.
    I didn’t have those issues before the TVOS upgrade. I had an iPhone 6S with no issues. Now both my iPhone XS Max and Apple 4K tv have some sporadic internet connections.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    markbyrn said:
    no problem here with my xs max - must we have reference Antennagate with every bug report?
    well obviously if it works for you its impossible for anyone of the other million+ users to have issues and must just be making shit up. 
    The point being that these kinds of reports come out with EVERY SINGLE IPHONE EVER RELEASED. As time goes on they disappear. Don’t try to inflate something that doesn’t exist.
    amazing observations, things get better as updates get released! Bugs do exist at release time they are real and thats why we get patches. Dismissing the possibiity of bugs existing on a brand new release of a major piece of new software on brand new hardware is being a dumb fanboy.
    Get a grip. People can have issues without something being a bug or glitch that requires a patch. If you at all follow the history of releases you’ll know that some users have issues no matter what. Assuming everything is Apple’s fault is being a dumb hater.
    presumably apple built the hardware and wrote the software.... so any bugs are apples fault.  Pointing out issues is on not "hating" its pointing out issues so they get fixed by apple. Its how IT works.
    avon b7
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Xs Max working great here. Both Cellular and Wireless (5Mhz).
  • Reply 28 of 43
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    markbyrn said:
    no problem here with my xs max - must we have reference Antennagate with every bug report?
    well obviously if it works for you its impossible for anyone of the other million+ users to have issues and must just be making shit up. 
    The point being that these kinds of reports come out with EVERY SINGLE IPHONE EVER RELEASED. As time goes on they disappear. Don’t try to inflate something that doesn’t exist.
    It may just be the typical programming bug issue that has to be worked out or the Intel modems that Apple switched to are not as good as the Qualcomm ones that they replaced in earlier iPhone models.   Remember when Apple throttled the QC modem to make Intel look good 2 years ago :smile: 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/18/apple-confirmed-limiting-iphone-7-qualcomm-modem-to-keep-performance-on-par-with-intel-chip

If the modem is not as good as last year can one truly say its “The Best iPhone ever bad”.
    maybe they should say “right Up there with our Best last year”.

• Reply 29 of 43
    I'm also having problems signing into iCloud. It takes forever then tells me I already signed in. As far as the LTE my xs max is very much worse than my iPhone 7. Places where I used to get service I now have none. This is on ATT. I hope it's just a software fix that's needed 
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Qualcomm modems are one generation ahead of Intel. People who had the Qualcommchip in their old phones are now realizing this.  Little can be done now. Apple please go back to Qualcomm for the next iPhone. Apple customers deserve the best. 
    edited September 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 43
    How long before we hear of half a dozen class actions being started? Today? Tomorrow?
    I'll bet that there are a number of law firms getting things ready already.
    A sad fact of the world we live in. Sue first and pay the lawyers. Don't even bother to wait for a fix.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    There's been some testing that points to antenna gain (heard that one before) being at least part of the Xs reception issue for those experiencing it. 
    https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/antennagate-reduxs-if-so-what-can-apple.html?m=1
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 43
    No problem with either WiFi or cellular on my new Xs (AT&T version). Battery life seems great, but then my basis for comparison is my old 6s, whose battery is well past its first flush of youth. Transferring data from the old phone using Apple's phone-to-phone proximity feature was very easy, plus backup/restore with iTunes.

Face ID, about which I'd been a bit concerned, is amazingly seamless. I'd been a big fan of the old fingerprint sensor, but Face ID is in another league.

The usual fix for any WiFi issues that may arise when changing to new hardware is to delete the existing stored settings for any given WiFi network, then recreate them. If absolutely necessary you can reset all the network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings), but be warned that you'll have to re-enter practically every related password, so be prepared for that.

As an aid to receiving 2FA authorization codes sent via iMessages, make sure you have that set up on your Mac as well.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    My iPhone 6+ is back to like new condition with iOS12.   It's fast again and has, so far, zero issues.

...   So, tell me again why I want an Xs when this one does everything I ask and does it well?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Why do people here always assume if someone is having an issue it’s not really an issue (or is user error)?

I just got a new iPhone and Apple Watch. I went through all the proper steps of unpairing my old watch from my old phone before setting up my new phone. But after the new phone was set up I had no health or activity data on my phone. It was turned on in iCloud in settings so it should have backed up. I’m also missing photos I took with my new phone on Friday. They’re not showing up on the phone nor can I see them on icloud.com.

I called Apple support and they had me sign out of iCloud and sign back in. I did that and my activity data showed up but everything else was missing - all my photos, iCloud music library, stored Apple Pay credit card information. Basically anything that syncs to iCloud. So I called Apple support again about 6 hours later and they had me sign out of iCloud and sign back in again. One hour later and my phone screen still has a spinning icon that says “Signing in to iCloud”. I called Apple support for a 3rd time and they couldn’t tell me how long it would take. All the told me is I have to keep my phone unlocked until it signs me in. And that it could take 24 hours for photos, music and other items to reappear on my phone. Now I’m stuck babysitting my phone all evening until it finally signs me in (assuming it eventually does). In what universe is this a superior user experience? Sorry Steve, “it just works” is BS.

I did a recovery on my phone and it took a full day, maybe a bit more, before everything restored.   The standard stuff restored right away, then the apps came trickling in over several hours, and then the health app data slowly came in month by month over a day or two.   My music library eventually trickled in too.

It seemed to me that the health app data and music libraries are separate from the iCloud backup because they trickled down so slowly.  But I never got an explanation of why it took so long.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 36 of 43
    k2kw said:
    Crappy Intel Modems. 

I get worse reception inside my house with my Verizon XS Max than last years iPhone X. 
    And that’s why I‘m avoiding upgrading my 7+ and 8+ even though it would be great to be on one phone for both lines.   At these prices the phone needs to work as a phone.
    I have found it often better to wait a month or two before upgrading....i simply couldn’t wait with the apple watch 4 but for the phone, i will keep my X until November or December before upgrading
  • Reply 37 of 43
    I’ll tell you tomorrow how easy it is to update when I complete that task tomorrow. I’ve never had a problem updating to a new iPhone when I make an encrypted backup to or from my MacBookPro. The iCloud backup doesn’t get everything.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The sad part is occasionally Apple DOES have a problem, they make a mistake, there's a a material defect. It happens. Unfortunately, the "Apple always F-s up" crowd claims  everything is the next "somecrapgate" and it scream it from the rafters. It makes it hard to tell what's a real problem and what isn't.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    My iPhone 6+ is back to like new condition with iOS12.   It's fast again and has, so far, zero issues.

...   So, tell me again why I want an Xs when this one does everything I ask and does it well?
    Really? Well my 1991 Ford Probe is in like new condition so tell me why I should buy a different car..... also my double breasted suits are in excellent condition as well as my Michael Jackson jacket and parachute pants...tell me why I should buy new ones?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 40 of 43
    dicebier said:

Really? Well my 1991 Ford Probe is in like new condition so tell me why I should buy a different car..... also my double breasted suits are in excellent condition as well as my Michael Jackson jacket and parachute pants...tell me why I should buy new ones?
    That's nice.   I don't care whether I keep up with fashion or the Jonses -- and I'm especially not going to spend upwards of a thousand dollars to do it!   But, I am thankful that my iPhone 6+ still does everything I ask of it and does it pretty darn well.  So, I'll stay with it awhile.