Here are the vehicles and receivers with Apple CarPlay announced in 2018 & 2019

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    My ideal Apple Car Play would be a slot for an iPad with a lightening connector for charging and amplification out to the car's speakers....
    That would be horrid, as the UI isn't designed for use while driving and have very small tap targets.
    It would be great.  If couse it would automatically switch to CarPlay mode when inserted into the slot. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 42 of 111
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bonobob said:
    My ideal Apple Car Play would be a slot for an iPad with a lightening connector for charging and amplification out to the car's speakers....
    That would be horrid, as the UI isn't designed for use while driving and have very small tap targets.
    It would be great.  If couse it would automatically switch to CarPlay mode when inserted into the slot. 
    Not going to happen. What about Android phones? Will there be a second slot for them? What if Apple changes from Lightening to USB-C? What if the phones get thicker? Too many variables and not a good idea for car companies to move to exclusivity. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 43 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    AI, please, please start including whether it's wired or wireless when you mention CarPlay coming to a new vehicle.
    cornchipStrangeDaysentropys
  • Reply 44 of 111
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    Soli said:
    AI, please, please start including whether it's wired or wireless when you mention CarPlay coming to a new vehicle.
    If we don't mention it, you can assume that it's wired or we haven't heard news yet.
    cornchip
  • Reply 45 of 111
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    linkman said:
    Can anyone bring good info as to why wireless Carplay is so expensive? I'm assuming that it's not widely available because of it being somewhat new.
    If you're referring to the nearly doubled price of the high-end Pioneer 8400 head unit over the 4400 model, the 8400 adds Wireless CarPlay, a capacitive touch display, and a GPS receiver and navigation system of its own (no smartphone needed, if you wish). The extra money isn't just for WCP.
    cornchip
  • Reply 46 of 111
    Why doesn't Apple release a CarPlay app for for iOS? Then you could just load it on your iPad and mount it to your dashboard with vent magnets. That would work a lot better than those third party units and you could take the iPad with you when you get out.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    It would be so cool if releases for the European market were added... or a separate list? (sorry but this list seems to be very US centric)
  • Reply 48 of 111
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    cpsro said:
    linkman said:
    Can anyone bring good info as to why wireless Carplay is so expensive? I'm assuming that it's not widely available because of it being somewhat new.
    If you're referring to the nearly doubled price of the high-end Pioneer 8400 head unit over the 4400 model, the 8400 adds Wireless CarPlay, a capacitive touch display, and a GPS receiver and navigation system of its own (no smartphone needed, if you wish). The extra money isn't just for WCP.
    I was referring to wireless Carplay vs. wired Carply in general. I could understand the other major components of that Pioneer unit adding so much to the cost. It seems that going to a wireless capability for it cranks up the price by $400. Adding other wireless technologies such as Bluetooth have not had this impact.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Why doesn't Apple release a CarPlay app for for iOS? Then you could just load it on your iPad and mount it to your dashboard with vent magnets. That would work a lot better than those third party units and you could take the iPad with you when you get out.
    Probably Apple would not want you use your iPad while driving. 
    tyler82
  • Reply 50 of 111
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Very strange Apple web site still shows following Toyota cars have CarPlay.

• 2019 Avalon
    • 2019 Corolla Hatchback
    • 2019 RAV4
    • 2019 RAV4
  • Reply 51 of 111
    jblongz said:
    2019 JEEP Cherokee has one of the best.  Totally touch screen.  Audi and Mercedes suck because you have to use the wheel to scroll selections.
    I have CarPlay in my car with a 100% touchscreen interface, and I would *love* to have the scroll wheel either additionally or instead. I find touch to be really bad while driving  and trying to scroll through long playlists is lots of no fun at all. (Not saying you're wrong in your preference, just relating my own preference for the other way)

That being said, I wouldn't get a car without CarPlay (it was one of the reasons I opted out of the ILX that is now listed in this story). Even with touch-only, it's miles beyond car manufacturer developed interfaces, night and day different. 
  • Reply 52 of 111
    Funny that most luxiurious of Acura ILX is getting CarPlay last. We already played with it in RDX. What this article does not point is that Acura goes dual in 2019 CarPlay and Android Auto. Some family members may be a combination on one car.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    tzeshan said:
    Do you notice that one important number is missing in all the CarPly available cars? There is no screen resolution specified. This is counter high-tech standard that Apple is very good at. For one thing, I like to know if the screens are all retina display like the iPads? Or maybe the screen resolution is fixed for CarPlay?
    Are you planning to play games or watch slideshows while driving? It is Info Entertainment System for Pete sake. I am glad that I do not need some garbage GPS when I buy a car and I can use Waze either on console or on mobile device (some states do not allow mobile device in some configuration). That is as long as I do not need to pay some subscriptions... and Acura not require that.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    Free on a Hyundai, but Ferrari charges $4219 for CarPlay on a 488, and as far as I can tell, it’s only the software update to enable it.  

cornchip
  • Reply 55 of 111
    No mention of the Volvo XC40. Very odd. It’s been a very popular vehicle worldwide. CarPlay works very well. (Wired, no annual fee.)
  • Reply 56 of 111
    crofford said:
    Free on a Hyundai, but Ferrari charges $4219 for CarPlay on a 488, and as far as I can tell, it’s only the software update to enable it.  
    That makes perfect sense to me.

Let's say the cost for developing and testing the software is the exact same fixed cost* for each company. How many Ferraris are sold compared to Hyundais? We can easily figure it out in this scenario because you've already stated it's $4219 for a specific Ferrari. So take that cost and multiply it by the number of Ferraris that will be sold with CarPlay to get a hypothetical fixed cost. Now divide that by all the Hyundais that will be sold within the same timeframe with CarPlay, which you say is free (i.e.: rolled into cost of vehicle) so I assume it's included as standard. Surely you can see how that becomes a very low cost for a company that sells in high volume.

There's no way to know which company has spent more on CarPlay, but I'd assume that Hyundai whom started to offer this long before Ferrari, whom first only included it certain options on higher-end models, and whom have in-house Korean coders that I would assume can do it at a fraction of the cost compared to Italian coders or whomever Ferarri uses for their systems.**

Now consider what these companies offer customers. For starters, customers coming to Ferrari compared to Hyundai are very different demographics. I'd assume that most aren't using them as daily drivers and are much older. Being older means that digital technology isn't as important to them as a majority than it is to younger generations. This is why it behooves Hyundai to offer CarPlay in as many automobiles in as many price points as possible to help attract buyers, but will likely never be a key selling point for luxury sport cars for guys having a midlife crisis.

Personally, I love the convenience that technology offers so the Tesla was never an option for me because they don't offer CarPlay, and while I'd never buy a luxury sports car I do love reading about them so if I had to pick one it would be the Bugatti Chiron and then a Lamborghini and I'd just say no thanks to any Ferrari regardless of which ones had or didn't have CarPlay because that's simply would not be part of my decision making for those kinds of automobiles.

* We'll ignore deployment because Hyundai doing it at a factory will be cheaper per vehicle than the man hours for a trained technicians around the world having to install it after the fact.

** Hyundai may also not code this themselves. Their infotainment system may come from a contractor but the same low-cost benefits would still apply.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 57 of 111
    My Jaguar I-Pace came with CarPlay as standard and the latest software upgrade gave me Android Play should I ever want it. No extra was paid. It was not a selectable option.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    My Jaguar I-Pace came with CarPlay as standard and the latest software upgrade gave me Android Play should I ever want it. No extra was paid. It was not a selectable option.
    There's definitely a correlation between electric vehicles and other modern technological advances, save for Tesla, which I'd argue is because those customers tend to have a lot of overlap.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Well integrated,seamless Phone connectivity to Car's infotainment is very very important not for convenience but safety. and you can't put price on safety. So, why any one in a world would buy a new vehicle and has no CarPlay ? I feel petty on uninformed new car buyers that they fall into car sales people's words like not many buyers want/care/use CarPlay(androidauto) or manufacturer will support your car with CarPlay this year or they will retrofit your car for free,etc,etc.

Just don't buy new car unless it has CarPlay. That simple. You don't want drive that car for next 10 years or more and curse everyday for your misguided decision.
    Mighty Toyota show there relative sales decline against there competitors and started putting CarPlay into 8 models in 2018 and 2019 models.
    With OS12.x supporting 3rd party Map App, it even becomes more important for Navigation feature.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Slightly off topic but also slightly on-topic. I have a Mercedes GLC260 from 2016 which is a CarPlay holdout. What’s more as the screen sticks out I guess you can’t attach most aftermarket CarPlay receivers. I’ve recently found what seems to be a good receiver that also sticks out like the Mercedes screens. It’s a HALO9 or something. It says it had a single DIN slot. So I guess my question is, does anyone know if the Mercedes GLC is a single DIN slot or not?