Thieves strike Palo Alto Apple Store, two days in a row

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    How about more Camera's on the outside pointing all around. GOOD Camera's that you can CLEARLY see the faces. Put them on the ends of the building also so you can get a good face shot before they throw on their hoodies to go into the store. Have more Camera's inside.

Apple is putting their customers at risk with all these robbery's. At some point, someone is going to get hurt. I say Mount all the phones and computers in a mount that's mostly open, but that you can't just pick up the phone or easily cut a cable, or rip it off the table. That can be done!!! For those that want to be able to pick up and hold a phone, can see one of the people working there that can hand them the phone to feel. One that is normally locked up. You you have dummy phones. That are the same size and weight that you can have locked on a cable for people to feel. But it's not a real iPhone. Tee Real iPhones are Mounted in a way that it takes a lot of effort and TIME to take 1 iphone, let alone a bunch of devices!!! You really need to make it much harder for these criminals to steal anything. Once you do that, they'll stop with this garbage.

This can't just keep going on.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 22 of 57
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    mac_dog said:
    davgreg said:
    Not a firearm owner, NRA member or any of that, but if an armed guard dropped one of these “young men” and the video was distributed widely in glorious full color 4K HDR, this nonsense would come to a screeching halt.

The kind of people who commit such brazen acts are taking advantage of the society they live in and apparently do not contribute to in any valuable way. Arm the guards, put a man trap in at the entrance and tell the guards to go for a head shot if need be.

Enoigh already. Eventually, someone will get hurt because of these “young men”.
    I understand your frustration, but I suspect it would be a PR nightmare for Apple. Can you imagine how quickly Apple’s detractors would jump on this as an opportunity to sell their products? To say nothing of the families involved who would find an ambulance chaser attorney and attempt to sue for an obscene amount of money. Perhaps said lawyer would probably find a way to turn it into a class action lawsuit. 

So...no...not a good anti-theft policy for Apple to attempt. 
    Nonsense.  The San Francisco flagship store has armed police guarding the entrance.  Have you heard of a smash-and-grab there?  No.  

Thieves aren't stupid.  They are as cowardly as can be.  If they knew the guards were armed, they'd think twice about doing it during business-hours.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Just an idea but, Apple could make those devices to only contain a display that is wired to the brains that sit underneath the desks. The wire would be to replace the existing security wire, with the only difference being it delivers a video signal.

The device will have to weigh and feel identical to the original product.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Don't think King Apple hasn't thought through this already. I would bet my bottom dollar that the demo devices do have always on GPS and that the whole take is probably already foiled:)
  • Reply 25 of 57
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    jbdragon said:

This can't just keep going on.
    In a weird way it might actually benefit Apple because it is no loss for them through insurance and it reinforces the perceived premium value of Apple devices to potential customers when they see it on the evening news.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 26 of 57
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    davgreg said:
    Not a firearm owner, NRA member or any of that, but if an armed guard dropped one of these “young men” and the video was distributed widely in glorious full color 4K HDR, this nonsense would come to a screeching halt.

The kind of people who commit such brazen acts are taking advantage of the society they live in and apparently do not contribute to in any valuable way. Arm the guards, put a man trap in at the entrance and tell the guards to go for a head shot if need be.

No company would employ armed guards as a response. They are covered by insurance and the likelihood of customers getting hurt increases with firearms. Apple would suffer tremendously if a non-involved customer or bystander was hurt or killed as a result of the actions by their armed guards. I can imagine the headlines.

California needs to prosecute these robbers and any networks that use them to smash and grab.
    StrangeDaysjbdragon
  • Reply 27 of 57
    ronn said:
    davgreg said:

No company would employ armed guards as a response. They are covered by insurance and the likelihood of customers getting hurt increases with firearms. Apple would suffer tremendously if a non-involved customer or bystander was hurt or killed as a result of the actions by their armed guards. I can imagine the headlines.

California needs to prosecute these robbers and any networks that use them to smash and grab.
    The flagship store in San Francisco has armed police officers at the front entrance.  Doesn't seem to bother anyone.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 28 of 57
    I'm not sure what the best solution is but the appearance that Apple is doing nothing to combat these brazen robberies is a green light for thieves to keep doing it.  What if next time, a customer(s) gets hurt, injured, or God forbid, killed???  Apple will have to shoulder responsibility.  I see a big payout coming soon.
    grifmxjbdragon
  • Reply 29 of 57
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    sflocal said:
    ronn said:
    davgreg said:

The flagship store in San Francisco has armed police officers at the front entrance.  Doesn't seem to bother anyone.
    From what I remember, San Francisco has had a special protection unit for ages. Apple (and other tenants?) in particular areas that recently renovated/updated may have been required to employ this special police force that are trained by SFPD, which also has oversight over the force. It was all part of the prolonged negotiations between the city and Apple which included the ridiculousness over the decrepit fountain in the way of Apple's plan renovations.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Northern California is a bit of a dump.
    grifmx
  • Reply 31 of 57
    ronn said:
    sflocal said:
    ronn said:
    davgreg said:

From what I remember, San Francisco has had a special protection unit for ages. Apple (and other tenants?) in particular areas that recently renovated/updated may have been required to employ this special police force that are trained by SFPD, which also has oversight over the force. It was all part of the prolonged negotiations between the city and Apple which included the ridiculousness over the decrepit fountain in the way of Apple's plan renovations.
    Not sure about that, but the fact that the SF Flagship store has armed personnel there, it does debunk the anti-gun arguments that people here are trying to make.
    edited September 2018 grifmx
  • Reply 32 of 57
    sflocal said:
    ronn said:
    sflocal said:
    ronn said:
    davgreg said:

Not sure about that, but it the fact that the SF Flagship store has armed personnel there, it does debunk the anti-gun arguments that people here are trying to make.
    Maybe they're all prop guns.
    grifmx
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I am sure Apple does NOT want to have armed guards at the entrances. Hence my suggestion of simply hiring plainclothes off duty police to sit outside the store entrance area drinking coffee or whatever.

Clearly many of the people posting have no idea what insurance is. Apple most certainly is self-insured for such product loses. In fact most retailers are so they employ security and other measures to reduce "shrinkage". Insurance is for monetary losses one can not otherwise afford, this doesn't apply to Apple losing some of its display products that it wouldn't sell at full retail prices anyway.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 34 of 57
    davgreg said:
    From Hollywood's handbook on publicity: "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

You never read about thieves stealing Androids devices.  Samsung spends many millions advertising its Android devices, and still has to lower prices to move them.

Apple may lose a Million dollars worth of equipment throughout the year, but they get publicity worth much, much more, most importantly "iPhones are so desirable gangs stage mass thefts to get them".
    I always forget this, but you're absolutely right. this is cheap advertising! with the best message "EVERYONE WANTS APPLE PRODUCTS - THEY'RE VALUABLE!" sad as it is
  • Reply 35 of 57
    What the heck is going on in California? I live here in NYC, and that never happens at the Apple stores here. The security at NYC Apple stores is very obvious. They look like ex military actually. At least two of them at the front door and more downstairs. I don’t know what kind of security they have at the California Apple stores, but i doubt it’s like here in NYC. Apple is a Trillion dollar company. You’d think they’d be able to hire top notch security at ALL their stores. I don’t get it.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 36 of 57
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    This can only happen in this liberal to crime country. In 3rd world, you will get caught by customers in store and than everyone will beat the hell out of those thieves teaching them to never try again. It works.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    volcan said:
    JWSC said:
    Placing highly visible guards both inside and outside the stores should increase the perceived risk for potential thieves.  
    I don't think Apple wants armed guards in the store. It doesn't present a pleasant shopping environment for customers. 
    Much more pleasant knowing that broad-daylight thefts are happening while customers are in the stores?  I'll take an armed guard any day over that.
    edited September 2018 jbdragonJWSC
  • Reply 38 of 57
    You never read about thieves stealing Androids devices.
    Extremely tired meme
    ronn
  • Reply 39 of 57
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Welcome to Apple "Town Squares," as in, the town square of Baghdad 
  • Reply 40 of 57
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    How many billions has Apple robbed the American taxpayers by keeping their cash overseas?