Thieves strike Palo Alto Apple Store, two days in a row

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Soli said:
    I'd like to see it taken further with Apple secretly removing features not needed for a demo, like an always-on GPS so that any device stolen from a store can be tracked even if the thieves turn off the devices.
    O yes, like those thieves care about features existing and removed. They look for money from sale of those devices. Thieves do not care about being cool like yourself. They need money and I will not mention here for what as to keep courtesy.
    “Being cool like yourself” — ? What the hell is wrong with you?
  • Reply 42 of 57
    I’ve never seen such a lot of paranoid, curmudgeons. Why are you more upset about this than Apple is?

There haven’t been any injuries whatsoever as far as I’m aware (post links if you got em)...which makes sense as these are grab-and-dash robberies, not hostage situations. 
    ronn
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Just an idea but, Apple could make those devices to only contain a display that is wired to the brains that sit underneath the desks. The wire would be to replace the existing security wire, with the only difference being it delivers a video signal.

The device will have to weigh and feel identical to the original product.
    That is so overly complicated it’s abdurd. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Northern California is a bit of a dump.
    Beats middle America, and the south, and the desert.
    ronnfastasleepdsd
  • Reply 45 of 57
    wood1208 said:
    This can only happen in this liberal to crime country. In 3rd world, you will get caught by customers in store and than everyone will beat the hell out of those thieves teaching them to never try again. It works.
    Yeah but you can’t drink the water. 

Sounds lovely. When are you moving? Oh, what’s that? You wouldn’t live in the third world? Ah I see.

Cool story, bro!
    ronn
  • Reply 46 of 57
    hentaiboy said:
    You never read about thieves stealing Androids devices.
    Extremely tired meme
    It’s not a meme when it’s a simple fact. Even thieves don’t want that crap. 
  • Reply 47 of 57
    tyler82 said:
    How many billions has Apple robbed the American taxpayers by keeping their cash overseas?
    None. As you appear ignorant on overseas-generated income and repatriation deferral, I just you do some preliminary research on the matter. 

As it happens Apple is the single-largest taxpayer in the country. This is entirely different than when corps like GE scammed the country on their taxes (2010 I believe) to the tune that not only did they pay $0 income tax, but they were actually owed a refund. 
    edited September 2018 fastasleepdsd
  • Reply 48 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I'd like to see it taken further with Apple secretly removing features not needed for a demo, like an always-on GPS so that any device stolen from a store can be tracked even if the thieves turn off the devices.
    O yes, like those thieves care about features existing and removed. They look for money from sale of those devices. Thieves do not care about being cool like yourself. They need money and I will not mention here for what as to keep courtesy.
    WTF does any of that mean in regards to making the battery slightly smaller in order to include an always-on GPS in which Apple can track stolen demo devices so they can inform law enforcement and catch the culprits within minutes of leaving the store?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 49 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    volcan said:
    jbdragon said:

This can't just keep going on.
    In a weird way it might actually benefit Apple because it is no loss for them through insurance and it reinforces the perceived premium value of Apple devices to potential customers when they see it on the evening news.

Ya, until one of their customers get shot.  The way Apple has their devices on display, lots of money all around, it's going to happen at some point.  It doesn't benifit Apple, and share doesn't benefit all their customers.
    ronn
  • Reply 50 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    tyler82 said:
    How many billions has Apple robbed the American taxpayers by keeping their cash overseas?

None!!!  Why do you think American taxpayers should get money from Apple from hardware sold in other countries and taxed in those countries?   
    SolibloggerblogStrangeDays
  • Reply 51 of 57
    tyler82 said:
    None. Why would foreign taxes from overseas sales go to American taxpayers?
    bloggerblogStrangeDays
  • Reply 52 of 57
    davgreg said:
    Not a firearm owner, NRA member or any of that, but if an armed guard dropped one of these “young men” and the video was distributed widely in glorious full color 4K HDR, this nonsense would come to a screeching halt.

The kind of people who commit such brazen acts are taking advantage of the society they live in and apparently do not contribute to in any valuable way. Arm the guards, put a man trap in at the entrance and tell the guards to go for a head shot if need be.

Enoigh already. Eventually, someone will get hurt because of these “young men”.
    Execution for retail theft? Yeah no thanks. (Said as a firearm owner fyi)
    That's because you are intelligent and know the law of use of deadly force. You can only use deadly force if you are in fear of loosing your life or if you are in fear of the perpetrator taking someone else's life. 

Theft of merchandise would never merit use of deadly force unless someone intervened in the robbery and was physically attacked with a weapon that could kill them. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 57
    wow thats crazy!! 
  • Reply 54 of 57
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    volcan said:
    jbdragon said:

This can't just keep going on.
    In a weird way it might actually benefit Apple because it is no loss for them through insurance and it reinforces the perceived premium value of Apple devices to potential customers when they see it on the evening news.
    I was thinking the same. There is no way Apple store's aren't insured against retail theft. I think someone here posted yesterday that any publicity is good publicity. I feel that constant armed guards would take away from the friendly experience that Apple stores are all about.

Also the products that they are losing with the thefts is at their cost, not at the retail cost of the devices which makes the loss hurt even less.At my local Apple store here in Pennsylvania I have only seen guards around the holidays and on release days. I hope it stays this way.. 
    ronn
  • Reply 55 of 57
    volcan said:
    JWSC said:
    Placing highly visible guards both inside and outside the stores should increase the perceived risk for potential thieves.  
    I don't think Apple wants armed guards in the store. It doesn't present a pleasant shopping environment for customers. 
    Much more pleasant knowing that broad-daylight thefts are happening while customers are in the stores?  I'll take an armed guard any day over that.
    This could happen at any store at any time.. stop living in fear!  We do NOT need  an armed presence at every turn.  That is crazy talk..
    ronn
  • Reply 56 of 57
    tyler82 said:
    Welcome to Apple "Town Squares," as in, the town square of Baghdad 
    This comment doesn't even make sense.  I have several friends that served in Iraq and were in Baghdad. I don't think they would agree that some snatch and grabs at an Apple store are the same as being in a war zone.  You need to get out more...
    ronn
  • Reply 57 of 57
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Northern California is a bit of a dump.
    Beats middle America, and the south, and the desert.
    Now just hold on a moment there stranger!  You go too far!  After all, us Ohio boys always say that Ohio is a great place to be from.   ;)
    Secondly, as a long time transplant to the desert Southwest, I have to say that for much of the year the Sonoran desert presents an absolutely beautiful landscape.  We got space, big skies, and who can beat sunny and 70 in the middle of January?

I’ve had my fill of California, having lived in the Bay Area for several years.  Good weather I’ll grant.  But it’s overcrowded, polluted, and a has little too much crime for my taste.
    edited September 2018