Australian teen receives 8 months probation for hacking Apple's corporate network

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
An Australian teen who gained unauthorized access to Apple's corporate network has been sentenced to eight months probation for his crimes, which included the collection of about one terabyte of sensitive data gleaned from company servers.

Mesa Datacenter
Apple's "global command" data center in Mesa, Ariz. | Source: The Republic

As scheduled, the Melbourne teen, who has not been named because he was a minor at the time of the crime, received sentencing on Thursday.

The now adult defendant faced two charges related to hacking, one carrying a maximum sentence of two years in custody and another carrying a maximum sentence of one year. He entered a guilty plea in August.

During the proceedings, a magistrate told the Children's Court that the offenses carried out by the defendant were "serious, sustained and sophisticated," reports Bloomberg.

Over the course of two years, the defendant conducted a series of attacks on Apple's internal systems, using highly protected "authorized keys" and software to remotely access offsite servers. Apple security personnel ultimately discovered the intrusion and notified the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, which handed the case over to the Australian Federal Police.

A raid of the boy's suburban home last year yielded two Apple laptops, a mobile phone and a hard drive associated with the hack. In all, nearly one terabyte of secure files and customer data was stolen, some of which landed in a file named "hacky hack hack."

Apple in a statement said no customer information was compromised due to the attack.

In past reports, the teen was described as a fan of Apple who dreamed of one day working for the company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Good. I mean he didn't actually take anything. 
    dtb200
  • Reply 2 of 16

In past reports, the teen was described as a fan of Apple who dreamed of one day working for the company.
    Good luck with that. I think he may have been a little misguided in how to go about being hired. 
    edited September 2018 jbdragonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Good luck with that. I think he may have been a little misguided in how to go about being hired. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if this guy (kid) gets an offer down the road.  What better way to have hackers working for Apple versus against Apple right?  If not, he now has street cred so maybe he'll be picked up by some security firm.
    anton zuykovmwhite
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sflocal said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy (kid) gets an offer down the road.  What better way to have hackers working for Apple versus against Apple right?  If not, he now has street cred so maybe he'll be picked up by some security firm.
    Or by some grey/black hat group. I am on the fence about Apple hiring him. But at the same time, the guy indeed probably tried showing off his skill, rather than doing real damage. 
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 5 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    For his age and the specific crime I think that's fair, but I'd also like to have rad about ways to steering him onto a path that will help stop cyber crime by find holes in systems that can then he hardened.

claire1 said:
    "In all, nearly one terabyte of secure files and customer data was stolen"

That sounds like he took stuff.
    ronn
  • Reply 6 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    He got 8 months of proby probe probe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    ascii said:
    He got 8 months of proby probe probe.
    LOL. Yeah, I think common sense prevailed, which is nice to see.

I'm sure he has learnt the lesson and  been diverted from being a future Lex Luthor.
    dtb200
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sflocal said:

I could certainly be wrong but I thought I had read he was given some sort of sneaky access, not figured it out in his own, like he stumbled upon someone else’s work. Similar to accidentally finding the key to your neighbors house and using it to enter when they weren’t around doesn’t make you a master burglar capable of avoiding detection and leaving no trace. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Soli said:
    For his age and the specific crime I think that's fair, but I'd also like to have rad about ways to steering him onto a path that will help stop cyber crime by find holes in systems that can then he hardened.

claire1 said:

Apple said it was only 90GB didn't they? Apparently they were a tad off
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    claire1 said:
    You’re calling "one terabyte of secure files and customer data was stolen...” nothing? Nothing was taken? He didn’t take anything? That’s some strange logic there, buddy, the kind that justifies pirating software and music.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Soli said:

claire1 said:

At his age his brain is still nothing but soft mush. I wonder what moral compass his parents have instilled in him. Sure, curiosity is a good thing but it also killed the cat. 
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I think that some form of supervised community service would be more effective than probation. 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    lkrupp said:
    claire1 said:
    You’re calling "one terabyte of secure files and customer data was stolen...” nothing? Nothing was taken? He didn’t take anything? That’s some strange logic there, buddy, the kind that justifies pirating software and music.
    I think the original commenter meant he didn’t do anything with it.  Not clear that is the case, But he certainly illegality accessed a confidential network.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 14 of 16
    sflocal said:

Samsung may be trying to contact him at this very moment.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

I thought this case may increase his chances? It was a di*k way of going about it so I can understand why Apple wouldn't trust him but we would make a hell of a good security tech.

Soli said:

claire1 said:

lkrupp said:

Soli said:

claire1 said:

At his age his brain is still nothing but soft mush. I wonder what moral compass his parents have instilled in him. Sure, curiosity is a good thing but it also killed the cat. 

"Apple in a statement said no customer information was compromised due to the attack. "

No data was compromised as far as I know. I remember reading a report that said the data was encrypted and he and no one else could see it or know what it was.
    These are just your typical anti-Apple stories making the rounds and an iKnockoff slave already told me "At least Samsung doesn't get hacked by 16-year-olds!"

The point is, as far as I know, he had nothing important, just blobs of encrypted stuff. It's like pirating a movie except you don't know what movie it is or how to open it.

This story is just as overblown and anti-Apple as the celebrity nude photos one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    claire1 said:
    lkrupp said:

Soli said:

claire1 said:

"Apple in a statement said no customer information was compromised due to the attack. "

No data was compromised as far as I know. I remember reading a report that said the data was encrypted and he and no one else could see it or know what it was.
    These are just your typical anti-Apple stories making the rounds and an iKnockoff slave already told me "At least Samsung doesn't get hacked by 16-year-olds!"

The point is, as far as I know, he had nothing important, just blobs of encrypted stuff. It's like pirating a movie except you don't know what movie it is or how to open it.

This story is just as overblown and anti-Apple as the celebrity nude photos one. 
    1) Whether he stole "customers information" or other corporate information is irrelevant to the fact that he stole data.

2) Whether the data he stole was encrypted or not is irrelevant to the fact that he stole data.
    watto_cobra