Multiple arrests made in California Apple Store theft cases

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2018
Law enforcement officials in the California Bay Area have announced several arrests spanning the entire state, with all of the alleged perpetrators accused of being involved in the recent rash of brazen Apple Store thefts.

Apple Store in Roseville

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, which cited law enforcement sources, seven arrests were made in Oakland Wednesday, in connection with the recent spate of Apple Store thefts throughout the state of California.

"These arrests are in connection to large-scale crimes that were committed throughout the state of California," according to a media statement by Oakland's police department, which added that it had "assisted another law enforcement agency" in the arrests.

California Department of Justice will announce more information about the charges later Thursday, multiple media reports said.

The thefts have taken place throughout California over the course of 2018, with some stores struck by thieves more than once. The store in Palo Alto was robbed twice in as many days last weekend, just hours after CEO Tim Cook visited the store for the release day of the new iPhones.

There have been some arrests recently in the thefts, including one that was caught on video in Santa Rosa last week, but most of the thieves have gotten away successfully.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    With prison overcrowding in California these crooks will be convicted and released.
    jbdragonkozchrismaciekskontakt
  • Reply 2 of 16
    No love for Samsung or Microsoft products?  Maybe Samsung can stage some thefts so they don’t look left out...
    uffenmantokyojimulkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    It sounds like Apple has started tagging its demonstration products with cellular location tags that call home if they are removed from the store. Note to thieves: Stealing high tech products is a very bad idea. You have no idea how they work and what they can do to you if you take one without permission. They could photograph you, listen to your conversations, identify you and those you are with, track your location and give all the information to the police so it can be used at your trial.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    LordeHawk said:
    No love for Samsung or Microsoft products?  Maybe Samsung can stage some thefts so they don’t look left out...
    No one wants to steal something then have their pants burst into flames while they’re trying to make a run for it. 
    uffenmanlkruppGeorgeBMacbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    GPS in units makes sense and is about the only way Apple can deal with this (outside of security cameras).

Apple surely doesn't want to start posting security guards in stores as they are very concerned with their image. And I'm sure store policy is for staff to NOT try and stop/arrest anyone as they don't want their staff getting injured over a few thousand dollars in electronics. So they literally have to just sit back and watch if someone wants to steal something. And thieves are taking advantage of that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    payeco said:
    With prison overcrowding in California these crooks will be convicted and released.
    Even if there was not overcrowding they would be released. They wouldn't get life sentences or the death penalty.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Perhaps the Oakland Apple Store(s) should require advance appointments from now on? Walk-in traffic should be minimal.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I really don't get the appeal of iPhones.  They are nice looking and all, but Samsungs are so much better at voice recognition and everything else.
    Anyway, seems like a lot of stores, not just Oakland, are getting robbed.  People are crazy these days.  And yes, iPhones are extremely over priced for what you get.  Materialism really has some people going crazy
    toranaga
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I really don't get the appeal of iPhones.  They are nice looking and all, but Samsungs are so much better at voice recognition and everything else.
    Anyway, seems like a lot of stores, not just Oakland, are getting robbed.  People are crazy these days.  And yes, iPhones are extremely over priced for what you get.  Materialism really has some people going crazy
    Your post is static overflow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Goodbye. Thanks for playing. BLOCKED.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    payeco said:
    And it is overcrowding because? Perhaps some deterent legal actions were not taken before and social result is now that surge of convicts as someone decided for plugging prior holes. Welcome to justice consequences. Probelm created once is not so easy to solve later. And yes they will become political pawns by conviction and release. Nothing to do with justice and serving time for disruptions in society driven by law. What's next? More violent crimes as challenge to win turf wars? California created problems for itself.
    If you cannot leave car safely while living in Cupertino condos (that is fact from someone close) where many queit people working in Silicon Valley live than there is something wrong with system. After all so many educated and ethical people are supposed to live there and suddenly crime steps in. Maybe they should put safety zone signs or "crime fee zone" signs to prevent this.
    toranaga
  • Reply 12 of 16
    uffenman said:
    WHAT A SURPRISE COMING FROM OAKLAND! I nailed it yesterday when I wrote don't be surprised Apple hasn't already thought of GPSing the units.....how will we teach today's society about the pride and ownership of earning your own money and buying your own stuff?
    Oakland is a nest for crime and most violent. I kept saying it for years that nobody takes actions on cargo ships smuggling illegaly unmarked firearms into the USA (no they have nothing to do with NRA or pro-gun organizations). But well we have so tolearnt politicians defending Oakland as this was greatest place to live. Violence, prostitution, theft, illegal firearms trafficking. Go figure what they tolerate.
    toranaga
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Perhaps the Oakland Apple Store(s) should require advance appointments from now on? Walk-in traffic should be minimal.
    Oakland doesn't have any Apple Stores.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Picked up (2) iPhone XS’ yesterday from Apple Store in Roseville, CA where a city police officer was positioned off to the side upon entering store.  Wouldn’t surprise me if we see more officers in stores.  I’ve read a number of posts claiming Apple wouldn’t have them because of possible damage to image.  I didn’t mind the officer there, and I certainly don’t believe it would cause image issues for Apple.
    toranagawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    LordeHawk said:
    You are so naive. You must live only in place where Apple dominates by religion. Stick out your head and travel. See what happens in Europe. Nobody gives damn about Apple and everybody is on actually Samsung, LG and Huawei. You will be feel like weirdo who wnats to overpay for plain communication device that turned into life driving uility. You maywant o be catful as they may laugh at you when you leave your small yard with Apple devices and logos.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    esquared said:
    Picked up (2) iPhone XS’ yesterday from Apple Store in Roseville, CA where a city police officer was positioned off to the side upon entering store.  Wouldn’t surprise me if we see more officers in stores.  I’ve read a number of posts claiming Apple wouldn’t have them because of possible damage to image.  I didn’t mind the officer there, and I certainly don’t believe it would cause image issues for Apple.
    Problem is I don't think one officer can handle a shoplifting gang alone. 
    watto_cobra