Tips: How to toggle Dark Mode in Mojave with a keyboard shortcut or the Touch Bar

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    I gave up on Dark Mode, there is too little contrast between browser tabs, I can never tell which one is active. They reduced contrast in Light Mode too but at least I can see the difference.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    thought I would love it, I’m having trouble getting into it too. The white outlines around the windows look like ass. Withholding judgement until I can try on my “main machine” though.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    thought I would love it, I’m having trouble getting into it too. The white outlines around the windows look like ass. Withholding judgement until I can try on my “main machine” though.
    What do you mean by "white outlines"? 

I only see that on my headless Mac because I have High Contract option enabled in Accessibility in order for it to look different from my standard Macs and because it's usually using Screen Sharing which is windowed so all the items are much smaller than a normal display.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I've been running Mojave betas for many weeks. I just launched Automator (v2.9) to try this article's tip, but after selecting New Document, there's no item called Contextual Workflow. The item that uses the same, gear icon is called Quick Action.

Since Dark Mode is clearly a new feature in Mojave, I'm confused as to why Automator in your version of Mojave would say one thing, but my version of Mojave (the very latest available) says another. Did you take your screenshot in an earlier build?
  • Reply 25 of 33

Since Dark Mode is clearly a new feature in Mojave, I'm confused as to why Automator in your version of Mojave would say one thing, but my version of Mojave (the very latest available) says another. Did you take your screenshot in an earlier build?
    Probably because the video was done under an early Beta. ...Under General Availability Mojave, it is called Quick Action.
    You may proceed.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Thanks for this. The only problem I've run into is when I activate using my shortcut (Command-Option-D) I get the following if the it's the first time the shortcut has been used with the current app "in the front". So, it happened when I was looking at Mail.app then with Safari.app then with Photos.app then with Contacts.app ... etc., etc. Only happens once. Next time I open Contacts it will just do the Dark mode switch without the warning dialog.

• Reply 27 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Do not squeeze languages into the same bucket based on syntax. It is not smart idea as they are processed by OS differently and require different ooptimizations if any.
    That is a good point, but I still argue that basing a programming language on a spoken language is an inherently flawed idea.
    I think it works well for the non-programmers it’s aimed at, but as a regular programmer, when I see an article mentioning AppleScript, I skip past it. It’s very much like English: you have to learn the nuances (through, though) rather than learn the principle syntax and build in that. 

• Reply 28 of 33
    Just gotta say, I love Apple's new Mojave OS. It's the best new OS release in years. It feels so intuitive, stable and functional. And the new Dark Mode is just wonderful! 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Batman in PeacetimeBatman in Peacetime Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The script works but I can't use it using the shortcut command. Can anybody help me out with the shortcut thing? What should be an appropriate shortcut?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    thatdonfcthatdonfc Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    There is actually a much easier way to do this. Instead of using a script, select utilities and add change system appearance to the workflow. It will let you select a switch to light, dark or to toggle between the two.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    I don't find Contextual Workflow in Automator neither the Dark mode in the keyboard shortcuts(System Preferences). I am running macOS Mojave on an iMac. How can I get this to work?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    MattttaMMattttaM Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "click on Keyboards, then go to the Shortcuts tab. Click on Services, and look for Dark Mode at the bottom of the list. Make sure the box next to Dark Mode is checked, and click on Add Shortcut. I don't see my dark mode Automator in keyboard shortcuts - in the video it's under Services / General - I see Services but no General category. OS X Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)
  • Reply 33 of 33
    CLJCLJ Posts: 1member
    Great post. Thanks! Creating a keyboard shortcut went smoothly, but the touch bar shortcut wouldn't appear in the Customize Controlstrip. No idea why not. Created a few different shortcuts with different Automator symbols, and they all appeared in the Extensions panel of System Preferences. Followed the instructions above to the "T" and still no luck. Trying a reboot now and will report back if that works. Thanks Any thoughts what I might be missing?