Apple said to be working on fixing 'aggressive' skin smoothing in iPhone XS photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Why do Apple keep making things worse for their subjective opinions on what’s better in their perfect testing environments? They never bothered to disable, or make disableable, the awful smoothing applied to hair either, which has been a thing since iOS 9 and iPhone 6.

My iPhone 4 has a worse camera than my iPhone 6s, but my iPhone 4 (still on iOS 6.x) takes better photos than my iPhone 6s. It’s entirely because of too aggressive smoothing in the camera firmware (no other app is free of it that I’ve seen, so I assume it’s the firmware or in the camera control private API that’s not available to developers).

Sure, perfect lighting helps, but not enough.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    I think you mean 'problem' not a 'feature', Apple once again takes full control away from the user and replaces it with something less than ideal, totally surprised by this, If you use Photoshop and are used to doing what has been done in the above image you will know full well the blurring or softening of the image is what happens when you apply too much noise reduction or some median filter
    dysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Its is not just the selfie-camera. Any person shot in portrait model also looks over-processed. There is a real "Apple-filter" look to them, especially in low light. While they are not bad-looking, it is quite unnatural and I expect people to get tired of this standardized look over time. I do wish there was a slider for this...!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 44
    The XS photo is clearly out of focus. Why is Apple to blame every time a photo is out of focus? Worthless article.
    That’s what skin smoothing does, it blurs the skin hence making it out of focus. Maybe it’s just too excessive and should be toned down. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I find it interesting reading these comments because I know for a fact that there will NEVER EVER be a consensus of opinion on what constitutes a good photograph. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    lkrupp said:
    jcs2305 said:
    On the front camera? That sounds like a feature, not a problem. Just because a few people with nothing better to do want to feel important doesn't mean we need to give them attention. Our safe-space, politically hyper-correct culture is getting out of control.

I saw this a couple of days ago. There are over 2 million views and over 20K comments. It's not surprising that it has turned into a "thing".

Bozos like that guy are always looking for a “thing” when it comes to Apple. No need to worry about crap like this. Bozos carping about Apple on YouTube and the Internet have had zero effect on Apple’s sales, reputation, and customer service. And never will. They’re just preaching to the choir of long established Apple haters who wouldn’t buy an Apple product to save their grandmother’s life. It’s much like the usual suspects here on AI who attempt to dramatize everything Apple does into a negative for the company.

Speaking of which, it’s been a week since the new products were released and we still don’t have a bona fide “-gate” yet. What are the haters up to this time? 
    I am not talking about Apple sales I am talking about Apple doing something undesirable with the front facing camera.I think it's a bit more than people just hating.

Not everyone reporting this is Anti Apple.. I don't take selfies except for every once in a while when the lady and I are somewhere having a good time and goofing with the camera.  So I would probably never notice this.

It also looks like Business Insider is calling it "Beautygate"  hahaha  so there is the gate that you mention.

Seriously though.. there is def something going on with these photos... It looks like before and after makeup. I don't think this is an out of focus thing.

dysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 44
    I noticed this within minutes of receiving of my Xs Max last Friday and posted a comment about it on here.

"The most impressive aspect of my Xs Max so far is the quality of selfies taken by the front-facing camera. For the first time ever, I look better in selfies than in the mirror. There's obviously some "beauty filtering" going on because I know I don't look this good in real life. I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet."

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3094445/#Comment_3094445

avon b7sphericmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    jcs2305 said:
    lkrupp said:
    jcs2305 said:
    On the front camera? That sounds like a feature, not a problem. Just because a few people with nothing better to do want to feel important doesn't mean we need to give them attention. Our safe-space, politically hyper-correct culture is getting out of control.

I saw this a couple of days ago. There are over 2 million views and over 20K comments. It's not surprising that it has turned into a "thing".

Bozos like that guy are always looking for a “thing” when it comes to Apple. No need to worry about crap like this. Bozos carping about Apple on YouTube and the Internet have had zero effect on Apple’s sales, reputation, and customer service. And never will. They’re just preaching to the choir of long established Apple haters who wouldn’t buy an Apple product to save their grandmother’s life. It’s much like the usual suspects here on AI who attempt to dramatize everything Apple does into a negative for the company.

Speaking of which, it’s been a week since the new products were released and we still don’t have a bona fide “-gate” yet. What are the haters up to this time? 
    I am not talking about Apple sales I am talking about Apple doing something undesirable with the front facing camera.I think it's a bit more than people just hating.

Not everyone reporting this is Anti Apple.. I don't take selfies except for every once in a while when the lady and I are somewhere having a good time and goofing with the camera.  So I would probably never notice this.

It also looks like Business Insider is calling it "Beautygate"  hahaha  so there is the gate that you mention.

Seriously though.. there is def something going on with these photos... It looks like before and after makeup. I don't think this is an out of focus thing.

Both are great shots, none out of focus. The BI author states the Smart HDR feature of Xs Max without relating it to smoothness but I believe the two are related. The X photo has a deeper tonal range but contrast is an unwanted thing in portraits because it makes people look aged. The HDR of Xs Max may be smart enough to take care of that.
    edited September 2018 zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jcs2305 said:
    lkrupp said:
    jcs2305 said:

Both are great shots, none out of focus. The BI author states the Smart HDR feature of Xs Max without relating it to smoothness but I believe the two are related. The X photo has a deeper tonal range but contrast is an unwanted thing in portraits because it makes people look aged. The HDR of Xs Max may be smart enough to take care of that.
    Someone here mentioned that the example photo in this article was out of focus. So that is why I said that..I don't think either of these photos look bad, but the processing on the right is quite obvious.

So basically what you are saying is that the smart HDR is smoothing and processing the photos? I think that contrast is not as unwanted as you think..or people wouldn't be expressing dissatisfaction with how these end result photos look.  .

I am just making observations as I don't use the selfie camera much ( as I mentioned ).

• Reply 30 of 44
    jcs2305 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    lkrupp said:
    jcs2305 said:

Someone here mentioned that the example photo in this article was out of focus. So that is why I said that..I don't think either of these photos look bad, but the processing on the right is quite obvious.

I said that. They have to come with a better sample. One cannot prove the supposed excessive smoothing with a badly out of focus photo.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I immediately noticed this when testing out the cameras just after unboxing. Nobody had to tell me about it - it's pretty obvious.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 32 of 44
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Wow.
    Seek help, seriously.

dysamoriaStrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 44
    I initially ignored the rest of this post after seeing you blow off the issue in this article... Then someone else replied to it and I read the quoteback. My goodness.

Your ignorance of the issue does not mean that everyone else is equally ignorant or that it’s a non-issue. Then you went... really far off topic with some kind of anti-progressive culture commentary... Maybe you should take that commentary elsewhere, like to a political forum.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 34 of 44
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Some people put screen protectors on their phones I wonder could this be a factor in this. 
  • Reply 35 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    The question is why I need any camera perform role of Photoshop? This job is doen for publishing using computer (or mobile) software. That does not mean that we want genuine photo to have those corrections. The original photo is supposed to have all details as in reality. Otherwise it is not camera, but some sort of reality corrective device and it is not in the same league with real cameras.
    Welcome to Apple's new target market.
    It's about what they want, not what we want. They don't have time (knowledge?) about photo editing... the question is what is the quickest path to get the photo into Instagram looking 'better' than the other Instagram'r.

(Now, just follow that chain of thought, applied to other areas, and you'll see what I'm concerned about Apple's future. If you need an analogy - and are old enough - look what happened to home audio over the last 30 years.)
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 36 of 44
    cgWerks said:
    The question is why I need any camera perform role of Photoshop? This job is doen for publishing using computer (or mobile) software. That does not mean that we want genuine photo to have those corrections. The original photo is supposed to have all details as in reality. Otherwise it is not camera, but some sort of reality corrective device and it is not in the same league with real cameras.
    It's about what they want, not what we want. They don't have time (knowledge?) about photo editing... the question is what is the quickest path to get the photo into Instagram looking 'better' than the other Instagram'r.

(Now, just follow that chain of thought, applied to other areas, and you'll see what I'm concerned about Apple's future. If you need an analogy - and are old enough - look what happened to home audio over the last 30 years.)
    Apple doesn’t know about photo editing? Besides the fact that they produced photo editing software for many years? You’re living in a dream world, man, where it’s you vs Apple And Their Great Mustache Twirling Conspiracy And Oh Things Used to Be Better in My Day.

concern troll on!
  • Reply 37 of 44
    cgWerks said:

Apple doesn’t know about photo editing? Besides the fact that they produced photo editing software for many years? You’re living in a dream world, man, where it’s you vs Apple And Their Great Mustache Twirling Conspiracy And Oh Things Used to Be Better in My Day.

concern troll on!
    I’m pretty sure the reference was to users not having photo editing ability. 
    edited September 2018 cgWerksavon b7
  • Reply 38 of 44
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    cgWerks said:

concern troll on!
    I’m pretty sure the reference was to users not having photo editing ability. 
    Bingo!
    Instead of troll on, it maybe should have been a plea to join the Apple Fanboys Club™. Sheesh!  The mantra: Everything Apple does is awesome. Sing it now.... 'Everything is awesome! Everything is cool with an Apple logo. Everything is awesome! ...'
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 44
    clemynx said:
    Wow.
    Seek help, seriously.

You actually felt the need to post that comment?

And you think I need help? Lol
  • Reply 40 of 44
    dysamoria said:
    I initially ignored the rest of this post after seeing you blow off the issue in this article... Then someone else replied to it and I read the quoteback. My goodness.

Your ignorance of the issue does not mean that everyone else is equally ignorant or that it’s a non-issue. Then you went... really far off topic with some kind of anti-progressive culture commentary... Maybe you should take that commentary elsewhere, like to a political forum.
    Lol, what?

Get triggered much?

I'm 'ignorant of the issue'? Please elaborate. Or would you rather hide behind insults like coward? Also, it looks like a lot of others on here share my opinion. Does that make them 'ignorant' too?

And it wasn't off topic. Seems like the culture of whiny, first-world-issues-complaining, politically hyper-correct culture is why this video has so many views. If you don't agree, maybe you can offer your view on it, rather than going around calling people ignorant, like a child.