Woman immortalized by 5-foot iPhone headstone in Russia

Posted:
in iPhone
An unusual headstone has been discovered in a Russian cemetery that takes the form of a giant iPhone, a 5-foot tall recreation of the popular smartphone bearing an image of the deceased on the display.

via Ufa1/eat2west news
via Ufa1/eat2west news

Images of the giant iPhone surfaced on Wednesday, after mourners commented to local media about the unusual memorial, reports the Mirror. Erected earlier this year, the stone iPhone commemorates the passing of 25-year-old Rita Shameeva, who died in January 2016 from unknown causes.

The iPhone measures 5 foot in height, is made from basalt, and features an image of the deceased on the screen area. The stone itself is quite detailed, with representations of the Home button, earphone speaker, volume and standby buttons, rear camera, and even an Apple logo on the rear, all in a black stone structure with white highlights.

The tall nature and unusual design caught the eye of other patrons of the cemetery, with one stating to local press "I thought I was having hallucinations. How can an American smartphone suddenly appear at our cemetery? And such a big one?"

Few details are reported about the person's life, aside from being a keen traveller and having friends in Germany. While it is plausible that Shameeva had a passion for smartphones and self portrait photography, it is unlikely that she was a major fan of Apple specifically, as photographs show her using other smartphone brands.

It is unclear who produced the gravestone, with the current belief that it was commissioned from a Siberian firm that produces "death accessories."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    so beautiful...
    doozydozencornchipDead_Poolclaire1xamaxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Now she’s in heaven - with her iPhone 7
    edited September 2018 anton zuykovSpamSandwichclaire1xamaxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I like it. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    /r/anormaldayinrussia 
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I want one!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That looks like an iPhone 7 but I think it's an iPhone XALTED.
    pscooter63cornchipfreshmaker
  • Reply 7 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It looks like they've done a very nice job of it with the shiny stone, but you don't really want tech on your grave because it goes out of date so quickly. You really want something timeless.
    tycho_macuserrossb2arlomedia
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Is there an upgrade path for this?
    cornchipwlym
  • Reply 9 of 27
    I hope this headstone come with AppleCare+?
    arlomedia
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Very nice. I suppose there are going to be the critics who say that iPhone is TOO expensive. Unfortunately, I know some a**holes that will try to destroy it with a sledgehammer or something. Most likely some anti-Apple, Android smartphone users. Other than being destroyed by someone, this is one iPhone that should last for many, many years.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    WANT.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Is the mute button activated?
    SpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 27
    As someone who is worried about iPhones getting bigger and heavier every year, this troubles me. 
    arlomedia
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Sweet! Why didn't I think of that? Maybe I do like Google Android OS, and just steal the idea.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Soli said:
    I wonder how long until it is vandalised. Sadly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    In Russia, phone upgrades *you*
    PickUrPoisonarlomediawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    iqatedo said:
    Soli said:
    I wonder how long until it is vandalised. Sadly.
    It does seem inevitable. :(

I hope everything was backed up to the Cloud.
    arlomediawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    The reflexion seems to show an clickwheel iPod but upside down.
    Normally headstones have timeless designs and a date on them, on this cemetary the year is not written in stone but can be recognized by the generation on Apple device. Did anybody spot a PowerMac Cube?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    The reflexion seems to show an clickwheel iPod but upside down.
    Normally headstones have timeless designs and a date on them, on this cemetary the year is not written in stone but can be recognized by the generation on Apple device. Did anybody spot a PowerMac Cube?
    1) You're looking at someone else's gravestone that is clearly not an iPod.

2) The date of her birth and death are clearly labeled on this tombstone.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Other than being destroyed by someone, this is one iPhone that should last for many, many years.
    Unlikely. Given the way the tombstone and that fence look comparing to everything that is located next to it, this was a daughter of some moderately important person. Destroying that thing with a hammer might prove VERY unhealthy to whoever decides to try it.
    watto_cobra