These are the top 7 features of the new iPhone XS & iPhone XS Max

Posted:
in iPhone
There are lots of new features baked into Apple's latest handsets. Instead of outlining everything new, we've picked out our favorite new features that have made the biggest difference day-to-day using Apple's latest phones.

Unlike in years past, both the smaller and plus-sized iPhones have feature parity. Everything found one is found in the other, minus the larger display and slightly prolonged battery life.

So let's dig in to our favorite new features.

Gold finish

We are a bit divided on the traditional yellow-gold, but Apple's implementation has won us over. It is a subtler hue of gold that looks fantastic, with an off-white glass panel on the back.

Even better, it perfectly matches the new stainless steel gold Apple Watch Series 4.

6.5-inch display

This year marks the largest display ever included on an iPhone, with the iPhone XS Max coming in at 6.5-inches. Even though the phone is very nearly the same physical size as any of the older plus-devices ranging back to the iPhone 6 Plus, the display is now completely edge-to-edge.

Compared to the 8 Plus and before, the frame is made out of glossy stainless steel instead of aluminum, which has a bit more grip.

Live wallpapers

There are three new Live wallpapers included on the XS and XS Max. You may be familiar with them if you've seen any of Apple's recent advertisements.

Each of the three has a slightly different hue. While they look like planets, they are instead mixes of vivid moving swirls of paint.

Faster wireless charging

Instead of upping the wattage supported by wireless charging, Apple has improved the tech they already have implemented.

The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have tighter coils internally that will support quicker and more efficient wireless charging on existing 7.5W chargers. Best yet, you don't need to upgrade the Qi charger you already have to take advantage of it.

Improved cameras

We aren't going to delve into everything new with the latest cameras here, so we will just touch on our favorite enhancements.

First, thanks to the new larger pixels with increased depth, there is better low light performance. Second, thanks to the new ISP and Neural Engine, color representation is more accurate, Portrait Mode locks on quicker and looks better than ever.

The depth can also be adjusted in the photos, increasing and decreasing the amount of background blur.

4GB RAM

Up from the 3GB of RAM found in that iPhone X and XR, the iPhone XS and XS Max both have 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. This is helpful throughout the OS, but particularly when there are lots of web pages open or you constantly jump between active apps.

Gigabit-class LTE

This feature will entirely depend on your location and carrier, but we noticed significant improvements to our cellular performance.

On the exterior, two new antenna bands -- one on the top and one on the bottom -- help support this new gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO. These new devices also support T-Mobile's Band 71 spectrum which will come into play for users in rural areas.

More to love

These are just our top features. This doesn't touch on the new speakers, faster A12 Bionic processor, more robust water resistance, stereo recording in video, and the other improvements found on the iPhone XS and XS Max.

Go on over to Twitter @AppleInsider to let us know what your favorite new features are.

Where to buy the iPhone XS and XS Max

If you haven't already ordered Apple's iPhone XS or XS Max, wireless carriers are incentivizing the purchase with buy one, get one $700 off promotions and more. Want to get your hands on a new iPhone asap? eBay sellers are also shipping units now.

Carrier deals:

• AT&T Wireless: Buy one iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max, get a second $700 off when you add a line.
  • Verizon Wireless: Buy one iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max, get a second $700 off when you add a line. Or save $100 with an eligible trade.
  • Sprint: Get the 64GB iPhone XS for $0 per month with eligible trade-in and Sprint Flex lease.
  • T-Mobile: Save up to $300 on the iPhone XS with an eligible iPhone trade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    The live wallpapers are bubbles, not „swirling paint“. 
    caladanianwlymStrangeDaystycho_macuser
  • Reply 2 of 10
    No details or deals for Canadian readers? 
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 3 of 10
    “This feature will entirely depend on your location and carrier, but we noticed significant improvements to our cellular performance.“

What exactly is Gigabit class LTE? Should I expect better signal strength? 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Of course it's all opinion, but I totally disagree with you about how "fantastic" the gold finish is. I pre-ordered the silver Xs Max and while I was awaiting its delivery, I had some regret and convinced myself to immediately exchange it for the gold when it arrived.  Sadly I didn't get it on launch day as I thought I would, so I went into a BestBuy to have a look at the gold and I thought it was hideous. Looks more bronze-ish and reminds me of the bowls they serve you rice in at upscale Indian restaurants.  Great for bowls, not for phones. I have to admit, the silver and space grey are plain boring at this point. But the gold is bloody ugly IMO. Looks pretty in the ads, but in person... yuck.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Faster data.
    Anilu_777 said:
    “This feature will entirely depend on your location and carrier, but we noticed significant improvements to our cellular performance.“

What exactly is Gigabit class LTE? Should I expect better signal strength? 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Well, where is Gold for XR ?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,555member
    rrrize said:
    Of course it's all opinion, but I totally disagree with you about how "fantastic" the gold finish is. I pre-ordered the silver Xs Max and while I was awaiting its delivery, I had some regret and convinced myself to immediately exchange it for the gold when it arrived.  Sadly I didn't get it on launch day as I thought I would, so I went into a BestBuy to have a look at the gold and I thought it was hideous. Looks more bronze-ish and reminds me of the bowls they serve you rice in at upscale Indian restaurants.  Great for bowls, not for phones. I have to admit, the silver and space grey are plain boring at this point. But the gold is bloody ugly IMO. Looks pretty in the ads, but in person... yuck.
    I know what you mean, but it’s really growing on me. 

Its actual hue hue varies pretty dramatically with the light — it can be anything from a sickly yellow to a warm shimmering ochre. 

I was a bit skeptical, but I’m liking it more and more every day (had the phone since Thursday). 
    bb-15
  • Reply 8 of 10
    "So let's dig in to our favorite new features...

...top of the list?..Gold finish"

I actually loled at that!

• Reply 9 of 10

The Space Grey is underrated, with all the attention going to the new colour (colorways?). I have the Space Grey Max and it is just amazing. It reminds me so much of my Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus.

The gunmetal like sides are also very classy.

edited October 2018