2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:
    volcan said:
    MplsP said:
    ...and this should show just how much your data is worth to Google. 
    How does Google capture your personal data from a search box?
    Ever hear of cookies and tracking?  If your entry point to the web is that search box, they can keep track of everywhere you go.  What you do in your browser is also personal data.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/apple-limits-safari-tracking-gives-more-control-over-personal-data.html
    So that’s why I’m seeing cookie acceptance dialogs poppingup all over the web when I use Safari.  Lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    linkman said:
    While much of the engine's popularity stems from being a default, alternatives like Microsoft's Bing -- used in Siri searches -- have been criticized for sub-par results.
    Agreed. Google's search beats the pants off of the competition for most searches. Most of the time that I have to resort to Bing/Yahoo/DuckDuckGo I cringe. Bing's image search is fairly decent however.
    Google does way too much presumption on my searches and ignores explicit strings. That’s why I went to DuckDuckGo... which has started doing the same, but not as consistently. 
  • Reply 23 of 33

Alphabet/Google is probably making more money from having Google Search to be the default on iOS than the amount of money Apple is receiving from them. Apple should purchase DuckDuckGo and tell Alphabet/Google to take a hike. If Google Search is that great then most consumers will personally choose it as their main search engine and Google will save $9B. I don't see why Apple doesn't at least try to acquire DuckDuckGo and give that programming team all the resources they need to at least give Google Search some serious competition. Google Search has free reign over the internet. I doubt Bing Search has much market share at all. It just seems that no one is even trying to knock Google Search down a peg. Has Bing Search improved at all over the last few years?
    The only reason I hope Apple has no interest in acquiring DDG is that I’m sick of consolidation. Otherwise, yeah...ish. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    FYI: All my devices use DuckDuckGo...will not have any Google services in my home. :)
    williamlondonpalomineclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I wish Apple would make DuckDuckGo the default for free for at least 1 year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    kimberly said:
    . the quality of search results from Google is much better than alternatives. 
    That's why I can't pry myself from Google. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 33
    MacPro said:
    This is why Google continues to support and improve Android without charging explicit fees but requiring adherence to Play and default app rules. Imagine how much Apple could charge for this positioning if Android did not exist.
    True but then again the vast majority of Android phone owners wouldn't use Apple iPhones if it didn't exist.  They'd be using some cheap flip phone had Google not purloined Apple's iOS.
    Huh? Google wouldn’t have the reach it has and access to affluent buyers to market to if Apple didn’t Exist. Android as you know it wouldn’t exist because it was IOS that it was derived from, much like Microsoft did with windows taking from Mac OS. Mobile Maps was disigned by Apple and data and functionality supplied by Google on the original IPhone when Google was assuring Apple they would not directly compete in the same high end market. They later copied the idea when they switched Android to be the IPhone alternative and later added turn by turn to Android but withheld it from Apple for years. With Chrome they forked the Apple created Open Sourced WebKit and pulled a Microsoft. Interestingly they have been hailed for supposedly supporting open source but in reality they abuse the market by making their edits proprietary like with WebKit. Now in Microsoft fashion with explorer, they have their advocates who many are former Microsoft or just anti-Apple - love anything but Apple people in place. They are creating chrome extension that are actually just modified WebKit extensions that only work with chrome to force the need for chrome to use certain features. Had they used the standard version, they would be compatible with all WebKit compatible browsers including chrome, but we are on a path to a repeat of the problems that came with Internet explorer being required to use many softwares. When they lost interest because there was less competition and with litigation it because unprofitable to support the browser consistently, those feature stopped working reliably. 
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:
    volcan said:
    MplsP said:
    Ever hear of cookies and tracking?  If your entry point to the web is that search box, they can keep track of everywhere you go.  What you do in your browser is also personal data.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/apple-limits-safari-tracking-gives-more-control-over-personal-data.html
    So that’s why I’m seeing cookie acceptance dialogs poppingup all over the web when I use Safari.  Lol
    I think those are more likely from the EU privacy laws
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Google and Apple. I love em both. Great companies. Great products. Great stocks to own for the long haul.  My awesome goes-everywhere-with-me iPad wouldn’t be nearly the indispensible, and well used tool is for me without Google software. 
    gatorguyclaire1
  • Reply 30 of 33
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Hopefully "or more".

My beef with Apple buying DDG is the ugly name. 

Siri was supposed to destroy Google search and Apple is dragging their feet there.
    I would much rather ask "Where can I get the best pixie here?" Than search "best pizza in mid Phoenix by 7th avenue" and get ads and weird search results about how unhealthy pizza is along with unrelated youtube videos. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Typical two faced Apple. They pretend they are a ‘no compromises’ company, user focused. 

If if so they should use the best search provider. Not the highest bidder. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    gatorguy said:
    auxio said:
    volcan said:
    MplsP said:
    I think that has more to do with the EEs GDPR. 
  • Reply 33 of 33
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    My default on everything is DuckDuckGo, but for really obscure searches I do jump over to Google (in a private window though).
    watto_cobra