Apple wins FCC clearance for iPhone XR in time for Oct. 19 preorders

Posted:
in iPhone
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Thursday granted its stamp of approval for the iPhone XR, which goes on sale in less than a month.

Apple iPhone XR

Until today Apple had been forced to include a disclaimer on the XR's product page. "iPhone XR has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. iPhone XR is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained," the text read.

The warning can still be found on the page, but Apple will presumably remove it in the near future.

The XR was generally expected to pass FCC scrutiny. Apple often waits as late as possible before getting regulatory approval though, a step which can help prevent leaks. The company will also frequently take advantage of secrecy options the FCC offers.

Preorders for the iPhone XR start Oct. 19 ahead of an Oct. 26 shipping date. The phone will share many of the features of the iPhone XS and XS Max, such as an A12 processor, Face ID, and an edge-to-edge display. It will however use a 6.1-inch LCD instead of OLED, and skip both 3D Touch and a second rear camera lens.

The tradeoff means the XR will start at $749, a full $250 less than the XS. Reports have suggested Apple expects the XR to be more popular as a result, making up 50 percent or more of new iPhone shipments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Although the XS has strong advantages over the XR, including true OLED blacks, HDR, optical zoom, higher pixel density, thinner, lighter, narrower bezels, etc - there are some good reasons for considering the XR.

Compared to XS, XR has
    As much as 25% longer battery life.
    Colors.
    A 128GB option (if you need more than 64GB but don’t need 256GB this option makes the XR $350 cheaper!)
    A bigger display that shows a little more content.
    Symmetrical speaker grills and antenna lines.
    albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 6
    robjn said:
    Although the XS has strong advantages over the XR, including true OLED blacks, HDR, optical zoom, higher pixel density, thinner, lighter, narrower bezels, etc - there are some good reasons for considering the XR.

Compared to XS, XR has
    As much as 25% longer battery life.
    Colors.
    A 128GB option (if you need more than 64GB but don’t need 256GB this option makes the XR $350 cheaper!)
    A bigger display that shows a little more content.
    Symmetrical speaker grills and antenna lines.
    If I wanted the screen size of the Xs and Xr, I would buy the Xr.
    I will get the Xs Max when I decide to move on from the 7+
    albegarcRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    If Apple could have squeezed a 1920x1080 screen into the XR it would have been perfect. My 6 Plus was great to use with my Apple TV and 1080p HDTV because no scaling was required for mirroring. Using an iPad Pro with Apple TV and 1080p HDTV is far less enjoyable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    dewme said:
    If Apple could have squeezed a 1920x1080 screen into the XR it would have been perfect. My 6 Plus was great to use with my Apple TV and 1080p HDTV because no scaling was required for mirroring. Using an iPad Pro with Apple TV and 1080p HDTV is far less enjoyable. 
    Won't it play native 1080p over airplay? If not this is something Apple should fix.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    claire1 said:
    dewme said:
    Won't it play native 1080p over airplay? If not this is something Apple should fix.
    It probably does for playing media, but I’m talking screen mirroring, e.g., running Safari on your iPhone and seeing the same exact display without scaling on your Apple TV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I currently have the iPhone X. I don’t plan on upgrading this year, but when I do upgrade next. I am strongly considering the iPhone X max or what ever apple calls it next year.  I strongly suspect the iPhone X 5.8” will not exist next year. I suspect it will go back to 2 models. The iPhone Xr and the iPhone X max.  Becuase, I suspect that most people will either buy the iPhone X max or the iPhone Xr.