Apple's iOS 12 update is causing sporadic issues with iPhone charging

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
Multiple reports are suggesting that iOS 12 may have a bug, causing periodic and random issues with devices not charging when plugged in to a power source, or placed on a wireless charging pad without user interaction.

iPhone XS in Gold

At Apple's discussion board, there are currently 108 users commenting on a potential problem with either the iPhone XS or iOS 12. The fault occurs when the user connects a Lightning cable to the charge port using a common wall charger, or place the device on a Qi charging pad.

Most of the time, the iPhone functions as expected, and immediately begins charging the phone.

However, on occasion, users plugging the phone will neither get a charge symbol, nor the noise that the device plays when it begins charging. Some users were able to get the phone to begin to charge by plugging it in, waiting between 10 and 15 seconds, and waking the phone -- but not necessarily unlocking it.

"If i haven't interacted with the phone for some time, it becomes unresponsive to a charger being plugged in," said one user. "But if I unplug then lift it and start using it, it will recognize the charger."

UnboxTherapy tested a variety of iPhone XS units in studio and found they could repeat the problem. They tested nine separate iPhone XS and XS Max phones and were able to demonstrate the issue a handful of times. However, AppleInsider has not yet gotten the issue to manifest with an iPhone XS Max, iPhone X, or iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 12 connected to USB-A to Lightning or USB-C to Lightning plugged into either a computer, a wall adapter, or any one of a variety of Qi charging pads.

However, an iPhone 7 and 12.9-inch first-generation iPad Pro have both manifested the problem once each during some testing on Saturday evening.

The issue may be related to USB restricted mode, a feature that Apple developed to help secure data on the phone against devices that try and download a phone's data for law enforcement or nefarious purposes. USB restricted mode shouldn't be interfering with a simple wall charger, but the interaction that users are noticing, lifting the phone in order to get it to charge after it's been left idle, seems related to the need to unlock a device to get it to connect to a peripheral through Lightning.

The issue may also be manifesting elsewhere. Belkin has confirmed that its original PowerHouse and Valet charging docks are incompatible with the iPhone XS family. Users attempting to use those devices are finding that the iPhone simply will not charge when placed on the device. Belkin has noted on the product page that the devices aren't compatible with the iPhone XS family, or the forthcoming iPhone XR -- but has not elaborated as to why.

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    iOS 11 had this issue when it first came out as well. 
    magman1979claire1cornchipcurtis hannah
  • Reply 2 of 37
    On iPhone XS max I don’t have the problem, but on my old iPhone 7 Plus and IPad Pro 12.9” (first gen) sometimes I have this problem from iOS 11.4.1 update. I solve it removing lightning plug from the device or removing the charger from socket. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 37
    The whole article surrounds the iPhone XS I.e. the latest model of current year. Almost all older models are ignored. Wth this kind of focus, the problem will disappear without doing anything in a year because iPhone XS will be an old model by then. What I want to say is: older models, like iPhone 6Plus and iPhone 6s, also encounter such problem! A lot of consumers actually buy an electronic device and want to use it for 4,5, 6 years or as long as it can work, not want to be ignored in just ONE year.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    If you are experiencing this issue and are using the Bleacher Report App delete it. My X was having this issue on iOS 11. Deleting that one app and a restart solved the problem. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    ivanh said:
    The whole article surrounds the iPhone XS I.e. the latest model of current year. Almost all older models are ignored. Wth this kind of focus, the problem will disappear without doing anything in a year because iPhone XS will be an old model by then. What I want to say is: older models, like iPhone 6Plus and iPhone 6s, also encounter such problem! A lot of consumers actually buy an electronic device and want to use it for 4,5, 6 years or as long as it can work, not want to be ignored in just ONE year.
    It does not. This comment is nonsensical.
    mwhiteStrangeDaysbb-15claire1cornchipasdasdmuthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 37
    I've had this problem too.  I thought it was a faulty cable but now I think it's a software problem.  I have a iPhone X 256 GB.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    ivanh said:
    The whole article surrounds the iPhone XS I.e. the latest model of current year. Almost all older models are ignored.
    You really should make the effort to read the whole article before commenting. The fourth paragraph mentions the first of several non-recent models that also exhibit the issue.
    bb-15
  • Reply 8 of 37
    My iPhone 6 Plus does the same thing but it physically brings a message about needing to be unlocked and when I do it charges fine.

My thinking is that it’s due to the USB Restricted Mode purely from the messages I’m seeing.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Pete WargoPete Wargo Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The first few times I went to charge my new Xs Max (still a terrible name) it wouldn’t start charging until I fussed with it. Now it appears to no longer have the issue. This is anecdotal; I did no formal testing.
    bb-15
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Apple should be able to correct this fault through a software update in ios 12!
    bb-15claire1
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Wow, I thought the USB plug was broken on mine... was setting up a genius appointment 
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Haven't experienced this issue at all with an XS. It's worked normally for charging 100% of the time. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 13 of 37

Just another example of iPhone catching up. :-) My Windows 950XL, charging on a Qi pad for three years now, does this same thing from time to time. Seriously, I do believe it is the software trying to deep sleep and yet be able to recognize the non-physical connection of the Qi pad. Make sure your phone is awake before trying to charge it. You guys do have some amazing power management, at least from my experience with my "aviation use" Ipad.

• Reply 14 of 37
    Yeah, yeah! It could even be something like crap apps that don't pass muster with Apple's "walled garden" meanie engineers. Or in the case of one iPhone 7 in the family, the problem went away after vacuuming the ports, removing pocket lint and dog hair.  Sheesh!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    sevenfeet said:
    I've had this problem too.  I thought it was a faulty cable but now I think it's a software problem.  I have a iPhone X 256 GB.
    I also have an iPhone X 256 gig and occasionally when I put my phone on the wireless charger it starts to charge and then a few minutes later stops charging.  
    bb-15
  • Reply 16 of 37
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    This is the new "gate" and media is going nuts over it. Should be fixed in a few days, will be talked about for a few years.

ivanh said:

Are you suggesting it's gonna take a year for Apple to address the issue?

You're new to Apple aren't you? Apple tends to fix problems within a week. This isn't android where you'll never get an update.
    bb-15
  • Reply 17 of 37
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    hentaiboy said:
    If this is the only issue iOS 12 has it will be way ahead of 11
  • Reply 18 of 37
    My 6s is having this problem after the OS12 update. I thought it was my new cable. Sometimes,  I have to flip the cable to get it to charge. It's pretty random.
    bb-15
  • Reply 19 of 37
    damians said:
    My 6s is having this problem after the OS12 update. I thought it was my new cable. Sometimes,  I have to flip the cable to get it to charge. It's pretty random.
    I have exactly the same issue (and then, solution) with my Xs Max. It comes and goes.
  • Reply 20 of 37

MplsP said:
    hentaiboy said:
    If this is the only issue iOS 12 has it will be way ahead of 11
    That's setting a low bar: iOS11 has to be one of most buggy updates I can recall from Apple. Especially for something utterly inconsequential in terms of advancing the ball.

It was mostly a bunch of crappy, incremental stylistic changes.
    cornchipmuthuk_vanalingam