Apple again touts size in new 'Growth Spurt' ad for iPhone XS Max

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Friday debuted a new ad for the iPhone XS Max, "Growth Spurt," once again dwelling on the theme of size in marketing the XS line's flagship.

Giant Corgi

The commercial features people taking photos with the Max or watching video content on its screen, the simple act of which causes people, animals and objects to become enormous in real life. It ends with an entire city growing, and the tagline "Everything you love just got bigger."

Apple has concentrated on display size in ads well before the XS and XS Max even launched. The XS has a relatively standard 5.8-inch screen, but the Max is 6.5 inches, making it not just Apple's biggest smartphone to date but one of the largest on the market overall.

An upcoming mid-range phone, the iPhone XR, will be nearly as big at 6.1 inches.

Apple was once infamously resistant to build an iPhone over four inches, insisting that it was better if people could reach every corner of the screen with one hand. It caved with 2014's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus after realizing it was losing ground to Android phones, many of which were already five inches or more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Great ad
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Funny!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    The ‘Max’ suffix suddenly doesn’t seem so odd, eh?  Maybe Apple really does know what they’re doing after all.  
    cornchipcaladanianStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    The ‘Max’ suffix suddenly doesn’t seem so odd, eh?  Maybe Apple really does know what they’re doing after all.  
    Indeed! I was at work the other day, and a co-worker noticed the phone right away, saying "Is that the X? I have the 8 Plus, but I want it!" Definitely more noticeable than my iPhone X was.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Sorry, I meant to type "Max"!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Can't innovate, my a.......
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    But, some still prefer smaller phones.  Easier to carry.   Easier to handle.   Cheaper....

Bigger is not always better.

The best would be an SE with a full Face screen.  The perfect merger of external form factor and screen size.

Added:   Conversely though, another great option is a phablet sized phone and Apple Watch with LTE -- the watch can provide enough cell phone like functions that you could leave your phablet at home when it is inconvenient to carry it -- but still have a large screen when needed.
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Now that’s an Apple ad that Steve Jobs would be proud of!
    I love my iPhone XS Max!
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    tenchi211 said:
    Sorry, I meant to type "Max"!
    There's an edit feature to fix comments. No need to create another post just to state a correction.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but unless that little girl is breathing out hydrogen, helium, methane etc, I can't see why she would float away. I guess it's not meant to be a scientifically realistic ad anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but unless that little girl is breathing out hydrogen, helium, methane etc, I can't see why she would float away. I guess it's not meant to be a scientifically realistic ad anyway.
    But you have no problem with a cat that size . . .
    SpamSandwichStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    If there is one thing about this ad: Apple Max screensize shows everything bigger instead of more
  • Reply 13 of 15
    How do you explain the objects being enlarged by the iPhone? Is it technical, or is it magic? How does it affect the health of the organisms after enlargement?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Getting a little pedantic here, I have seen many people referring to the new phones as "Xs" and "Xs Max" because the "S" is in a box that is smaller than the preceding "X". I've always referred to them as "XS" and "XS Max" and I think this is the correct way, since I think the Apple email I got welcoming me to my new phone did say "XS Max".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    How do you explain the objects being enlarged by the iPhone? Is it technical, or is it magic? How does it affect the health of the organisms after enlargement?
    I don't imagine that they would have a long life expectancy after being enlarged. And I'm not sure of the technical process. The only thing that comes to mind is some anti-gravity device that allows the body's atoms to expand outwards, which might also explain the balloon, although it'd be life threatening. I wonder what happened to the girl. Probably it's just some type of magic.