Apple's iOS 12 update is causing sporadic issues with iPhone charging

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    hentaiboy said:
    iOS 11 had this issue when it first came out as well. 
    However, on occasion, users plugging the phone will neither get a charge symbol, nor the noise that the device plays when it begins charging. 

I had my previous iPhone 8 Plus swapped out at the end of July for this very issue. It wasn’t just when ios 11 was first released. I swapped the phone and restored it from back up and sure enough the problem came back that night. I restored the phone as new a couple of days later and that fixed the issue.  I was also using the bleacher report app at the time. Hmmmm .......I didn’t reinstall it after I restored the phone as new. Someone here mentioned that he had the charging problem with his X when the bleacher report app was installed. Interesting .... 

• Reply 22 of 37

Just another example of iPhone catching up. :-) My Windows 950XL, charging on a Qi pad for three years now, does this same thing from time to time. Seriously, I do believe it is the software trying to deep sleep and yet be able to recognize the non-physical connection of the Qi pad. Make sure your phone is awake before trying to charge it. You guys do have some amazing power management, at least from my experience with my "aviation use" Ipad.

No. Apple made the Power Management IC that other companies buy from Dialog Semiconductor, TI, STM etc. If that's catching up for you, Africa probably has the worlds best health and education system. ^^ Actually I would be surprised if everything worked perfectly with it from day one on such a large user base, after all its custom silicon. Luckily though, it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. Technology is at its best when its identity completely disappears in front of the users eyes, having such an 'edge' or impurity like your explanation assumes (deep sleep which affects key device functionality) defeats the purpose of the entire phone as it has been designed around it. Anyways, that's dangerous half-knowledge you are spreading. Please kindly refrain from un-educated guesses.

Others explanation that the USB restricted mode may influence charging functionality makes much, much more sense. I think it may be related to a mitigation against a side-channel attack known as power monitoring where the power consumption of the device / microprocessor is used as an indication of what key the secure enclave may use to encrypt / decrypt something at a given time, reducing the time to brute-force the key drastically. Usually, there would be mitigations at microprocessor level within the software, where the software would randomise energy consumption by executing seemingly unrelated code or trying to make all processor instructions consume the same energy (less feasable), but simply not charging would seem like the easiest way to not even have a possibility of a side channel. The chair where I worked some time ago at, Embedded Security at Horst-Görtz Institute in Bochum, Germany has excellent research on this topic.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 23 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Thought it was odd that my 5s was only at 94% after charging all night and most of the morning! 
  • Reply 24 of 37
    ManeMannManeMann Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I was able to start charging after I woke the iPad mini up, handling it, unlocking it, then laying it down motionless and plugging in the charger.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    ManeMannManeMann Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    For the record: this was achieved through trial and error over two days and with the USB Accessories switched ON.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    ivanh said:
    The whole article surrounds the iPhone XS I.e. the latest model of current year. Almost all older models are ignored. Wth this kind of focus, the problem will disappear without doing anything in a year because iPhone XS will be an old model by then. What I want to say is: older models, like iPhone 6Plus and iPhone 6s, also encounter such problem! A lot of consumers actually buy an electronic device and want to use it for 4,5, 6 years or as long as it can work, not want to be ignored in just ONE year.
    It does not. This comment is nonsensical.

Not surprising at all, if you've been following his posting history.
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 37

Just another example of iPhone catching up. :-) My Windows 950XL, charging on a Qi pad for three years now, does this same thing from time to time. Seriously, I do believe it is the software trying to deep sleep and yet be able to recognize the non-physical connection of the Qi pad. Make sure your phone is awake before trying to charge it. You guys do have some amazing power management, at least from my experience with my "aviation use" Ipad.

So the fact that the first sentence explains the issue is when plugged into a power source means nothing? 

Multiple reports are suggesting that iOS 12 may have a bug, causing periodic and random issues with devices not charging when plugged in to a power source, or placed on a wireless charging pad without user interaction.

Thanks for joining and adding to the conversation...
  • Reply 28 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I've always had this problem with some non Apple cables.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ManeMann said:
    For the record: this was achieved through trial and error over two days and with the USB Accessories switched ON.
    Some of these reports are bad cable or lint issues, I am pretty sure. The software may be at fault in not being as optimistic as in the past with recognising a power source. 
  • Reply 30 of 37
    damians said:
    My 6s is having this problem after the OS12 update. I thought it was my new cable. Sometimes,  I have to flip the cable to get it to charge. It's pretty random.
    I have exactly the same issue (and then, solution) with my Xs Max. It comes and goes.
    I am finding I need to suddenly flip the lightning cable in my car a couple of times to get it to work since I have had my Xs Max. It’s a lightning cable plugged into a USB port in the center armrest. Seems to be random as well. Today I restarted my phone while it was plugged in and it connected and worked for the rest of the time I ran errands this morning. When I first got in and connected no matter how many times I reconnected the cable,  the music kept playing from the phone speakers and not letting the usb connection be recognized by the car stereo. 

anantksundaram
  • Reply 31 of 37
    asdasd said:
    ManeMann said:
    Some of these reports are bad cable or lint issues, I am pretty sure. The software may be at fault in not being as optimistic as in the past with recognising a power source. 
    I can assure you the issues I had with my iPhone 8 Plus and now the Xs Max are not from lint. I have had this acccesory may not be supported with Apple and non Apple brand cables occasionally where I need to plug and unplug to get things working. This is not that. 
    asdasdanantksundaram
  • Reply 32 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    ivanh said:
    The whole article surrounds the iPhone XS I.e. the latest model of current year. Almost all older models are ignored. Wth this kind of focus, the problem will disappear without doing anything in a year because iPhone XS will be an old model by then. What I want to say is: older models, like iPhone 6Plus and iPhone 6s, also encounter such problem! A lot of consumers actually buy an electronic device and want to use it for 4,5, 6 years or as long as it can work, not want to be ignored in just ONE year.
    It does not. This comment is nonsensical.

Not surprising at all, if you've been following his posting history.
    Yes, extremely low-value posts. 
  • Reply 33 of 37
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    My iPhone 6 Plus does the same thing but it physically brings a message about needing to be unlocked and when I do it charges fine.

My thinking is that it’s due to the USB Restricted Mode purely from the messages I’m seeing.
    This is what I am thinking. I think many people don't realize that Apple locked up the USB port. If you don't have your phone unlocked before you plug your phone in, it won't charge. Maybe the same holds true with wireless charging. So I'd make sure your phone is unlocked before you plug it in to charge or put it on a charging mat. It'll shut off on it's own after that. You should see the charging symbol on the screen over the battery indicator. Just to double check. The other thing about wireless charging is you phone has to be on the mat at just the right point for it to work otherwise it won't charge. This is/was someting Apple was trying to fix with their AirPower mat where you could place your device anywhere and it'll still charge.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jbdragon said:
    My iPhone 6 Plus does the same thing but it physically brings a message about needing to be unlocked and when I do it charges fine.

My thinking is that it’s due to the USB Restricted Mode purely from the messages I’m seeing.
    This is what I am thinking. I think many people don't realize that Apple locked up the USB port. If you don't have your phone unlocked before you plug your phone in, it won't charge. Maybe the same holds true with wireless charging. So I'd make sure your phone is unlocked before you plug it in to charge or put it on a charging mat. It'll shut off on it's own after that. You should see the charging symbol on the screen over the battery indicator. Just to double check. The other thing about wireless charging is you phone has to be on the mat at just the right point for it to work otherwise it won't charge. This is/was someting Apple was trying to fix with their AirPower mat where you could place your device anywhere and it'll still charge.

That fits with what I've been seeing, too. I was getting the error on the public beta on my iPad and old iPhone, but sice the upgrade. have also seen it on my production phone. At least to start with, I thought it might be an issue with third party chargers and cables (and the USB Restricted Mode), but I've had it using solely Apple branded equipment.

It's not currently bothering me, since unlocking the device seems to work (it doesn't get the error if it's awake when plugged in, then locks), presumably if Apple know about it, they'll do something about it with the next update.

• Reply 35 of 37
    I had this problem on iPhone 6s immediately after upgrading to IOS 12.  Changing the USB Accessory setting explained in this article fixed it for me. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208857
  • Reply 36 of 37
    WA SWA S Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The same technology that allows Wi-Fi extenders to could also allow a 3rd party to go right through your house wiring through your charger straight into your phone bypassing any firewalls or security if you are using your phone while charging.