Kanye West makes bizarre claim about the 'YZY' brand being part of Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a series of seemingly unprompted Tweets, Kanye West calls Steve Jobs a hero and claims his for-profit firm is actually a non-profit arm of Apple.

Rapper Kanye West

Rapper and fashion designer Kanye West has spontaneously tweeted a series of comments declaring that his clothing company YZY is effectively owned by Apple. But, it is not.

Kanye West's tweet about YZY being part of Apple

"YZY Is a for purpose (non profit) arm (branch) of Apple," he tweeted on September 30. "We unofficially work for Steve Johnny Tim and Lorraine. Everything we do at YZY is to be an arm (branch) of what our hero Steve has created. With love."

Spelling mistakes aside, he's referring to Steve Jobs, Jony Ive and Tim Cook. We can only guess that by "Lorraine" he means Laurene Powell Jobs, the businesswoman and widow of Steve Jobs.

West attempted to clarify matters a few minutes later by adding: "We also work for Eddie Q and all 123 thousand {Apple} crew members." Next to Eddy Cue's name, West placed a crying-with-laughter emoji.

Kanye West tweets about working for Eddy Cue

We think West may then have wanted to be a little clearer that this bond with Apple was less contractual, more spiritual as he also said: "I will never be Steve. I will always be YE. We are here in service to Steve's vision. Let's make the planet {Apple} level."

Apple has yet to respond to requests for comment. However, according to AppleInsider sources inside Apple who are not authorized to speak on the record, there is a great deal of amusement inside Apple Park about the suggestion that YZY is somehow affiliated with the iPhone maker in any way.

YE Forever

He may well "be Ye forever" but he'd only been it for one day a the time of the proclamation. West tweeted "the being formally known as Kanye West I am YE" on September 29.

Kanye West performing on Saturday Night Live

At the time he tweeted that, he would have been in rehearsals at "Saturday Night Live" where he performed as the season 44 opener's musical guest.

YE Olde History with Apple

Ye aka Kanye West may now be an Apple fan but previously he has had different views. He did boast in 2016 that his wife Kim Kardashian's Kimoji app "just shut down the app store, uh! And we made a million a minute."

Kardashian herself repeated that claim several times, despite Apple issuing a statement saying "there were absolutely no issues with the App Store."

At the same time, West criticized Nike, the only sportswear firm to have an official partnership with Apple, but he has long kept up this his praise of Steve Jobs. Speaking to Vogue magazine, he said in 2015 that: "One of my dreams was to be the head creative director of the Gap. I'd like to be the Steve Jobs of the Gap When I say Steve Jobs of the Gap, as I talk to the people at the Gap right now, I'm not talking about a capsule. I'm talking about full Hedi Slimane creative control of the Gap is what I would like to do."

Slimane is a photographer and fashion designer who at the time of that interview was creative director for Yves Saint Laurent.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The man really should be committed.
    mike1StrangeDayslordjohnwhorfinracoleman29tmayjahbladechasmjony0cornchiptyler82
  • Reply 2 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Kanye is dipping into Musk's stash.
    mike1edredStrangeDaysVicWLordeHawkboltsfan17dewmejahbladewilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Attention-seeking at its very worst. 
    mike1williamlondonjony0cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Wish he’d advance to cannibal-level crazy and we’d be done with it after he’s committed. 

(PS - does anyone else use Safari on iPad for these forums and find it very difficult to enter text and select text? This is the only site where I have such issues)
    edited October 2018 williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I help folks buy smart and picking a Mac.  Does that mean I "unofficially" work for Apple too?
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    The man is a self-centered, egotistical idiot whose ramblings are largely insane and IMO, there's no reason to publish anything that he says.   
    VicWmazda 3sLordeHawkstevenozjahbladewilliamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    VicWVicW Posts: 12member
    What a nut job. Zero grasp on reality, like his so-called pal DJT.
    lordjohnwhorfingutengelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    zoetmb said:
    The man is a self-centered, egotistical idiot whose ramblings are largely insane and IMO, there's no reason to publish anything that he says.   
    The ramblings on SNL about the POTUS and now this... Perhaps the advice in earlier posts are right on the nail.

lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    melgross said:
    The man really should be committed.
    to be fair, there aren't many more committed than Ye. And - his PR exploits range from harmless to amusing. And his music is pretty unfailingly great. I like artists.
    patchythepiratewilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 37
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    Wish he’d advance to cannibal-level crazy and we done with it after he’s committed. 

(PS - does anyone else use Safari on iPad for these forums and find it very difficult to enter text and select text? This is the only site where I have such issues)
    Use it daily on my iPad without any issues. 
  • Reply 11 of 37
    to be fair, there aren't many more committed than Ye. And - his PR exploits range from harmless to amusing. And his music is pretty unfailingly great. I like artists.
    I like artists too. That's one thing he isn't. I could call him a talentless hack but I'd feel like I'm insulting hacks.
    robin hubermontrosemacsking editor the gratewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Wish he’d advance to cannibal-level crazy and we done with it after he’s committed. 

As a designer myself with so many friends in the creative arts, we all should probably be committed a little bit.
    True creatives are off the deep end, so to speak.

I have problems with this forum on my iPhone  Safari.  Nothing major, just irritating.  Now I write in notes and paste it in.

patchythepirateking editor the grateclaire1
  • Reply 13 of 37
    This poor guy has mental issues. I feel sorry for Kim and the kids. :|
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Did those who call him an artist actually SEE his performance on SNL? The emperor has no clothes. And that includes his “fashion” line. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    I ate an apple today.
    stevenozSpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 37
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    No wonder Kanye adores Donald... they are both liars, braggarts, narcissistic and repulsive.

gutengelrobin huberwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    LordeHawk said:

(PS - does anyone else use Safari on iPad for these forums and find it very difficult to enter text and select text? This is the only site where I have such issues).
    I have problems with this forum on my iPhone  Safari.  Nothing major, just irritating.  Now I write in notes and paste it in.
    It’s fairly major — the inability to use the iOS selector anchors to highlight something to delete or emphasis, for example. It absolutely should not be neccesary to use Notes first. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Wish he’d advance to cannibal-level crazy and we’d be done with it after he’s committed. 

What exactly do you mean by that?

Anyway, there are a lot of people on here voicing some pretty strong judgements that don't seem to have much of an understanding of mental illness.

But if judging makes you feel better, I suppose that's what you should do?
    claire1
  • Reply 19 of 37
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I'll use a quote from Michael Bolton in Office Space. Kanye is a "no talent ass clown."
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Yes indeed. 

Sometimes the keyboard doesn't appear. Text selection is the worst I’ve seen on any forum.  And I usually have to go to html mode to type outside of the quote. 

Not sure what the problem is. 
    StrangeDaysfastasleep