Early iMac 5K display assembly reportedly in short supply, free delayed repairs offered

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2018
Looking to keep owners happy, Apple is offering compensation to some owners of the late 2014 and mid-2015 iMac 5K coming in for screen repairs and finding parts in short supply, AppleInsider can confirm.

2015 iMac

The company's display supply will be limited until mid- to late December. Apple is telling at least some service providers that if someone comes in for a repair due to non-accidental damage, they should offer a free repair once displays are back in stock. If a customer is unwilling to wait, Apple is offering $600 off an equivalent 27-inch 2017 iMac. Accepting the discount for a replacement does mean leaving the old computer with the company.

The arrangement is also limited to people needing out-of-warranty repairs, since people who do fall under warranty are being serviced as usual. People bringing in iMacs with broken screens caused by reckless or deliberate treatment, and/or exposure to liquid, are ineligible for the new program.

The memo was originally obtained by MacRumors. AppleInsider subsequently confirmed that it exists, but only a small handful of repair venues contacted have the memo for reasons as yet unknown.

Apple has yet to update the iMac this year with just two months to go. If it does release a 2018 refresh, it will presumably happen in October, carrying over improvements from the iMac Pro such as its T2 chip responsible for system management and other behind-the-scenes tasks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Definitely hoping this points to an October update, and with a changed display assembly. Both models going even halfway into their bezels with screen would be a substantial step up, it's not just a vanity on a desktop, on the 21 in particular that's a significant increase in space both ways. 

Bonus hope would be ditching all HDD options to get the iMac Pro-like dual blower design. Really quiet and much higher TDP. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    I keep hoping for a return of VESA kit as has been offered on the iMac Pro, vs the BTO option and resulting limitations and expense...

Target display with TB3 I understand may be possible @ 5K, and would also be on my list.

edited October 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    I keep hoping for a return of VESA kit as has been offered on the iMac Pro, vs the BTO option and resulting limitations and expense...

Target display with TB3 I understand may be possible @ 5K, and would also be on my list.

At present, unless Apple works some magic, the Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge TB3 chipsets don't allow for target display mode.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member

At present, unless Apple works some magic, the Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge TB3 chipsets don't allow for target display mode.
    Too bad... I recall somewhere reading ruminations on the possibility of screen sharing being fast enough via TB3 networking to act as a kind of workaround for 5K target display...?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

Too bad... I recall somewhere reading that screen sharing might be fast enough via TB3 networking as a kind of workaround for 5K target display...?
    No reason networking wouldn't work I don't think, the limitation was just about physical video inputs. Like PS4 Remote Play or Remote Desktop would already get your other systems on the iMac 5K screen, doing it more locally should work with the right setup. 

Bears some testing...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tipoo said:
    Definitely hoping this points to an October update, and with a changed display assembly. Both models going even halfway into their bezels with screen would be a substantial step up, it's not just a vanity on a desktop, on the 21 in particular that's a significant increase in space both ways. 

Bonus hope would be ditching all HDD options to get the iMac Pro-like dual blower design. Really quiet and much higher TDP. 
    Me, too.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

Too bad... I recall somewhere reading ruminations on the possibility of screen sharing being fast enough via TB3 networking to act as a kind of workaround for 5K target display...?
    Networking-based screen sharing works, but the latency for it given the networking protocol isn't great.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Oh, GOOD! I have a late-2014 iMac 5K that has dust streaks inside the display in the bottom corners that are very obvious on light colored background. My AppleCare expired several months ago. Since others have reported this same issue, I called to see what, if anything, Apple would do. They politely told me to go pound sand. Never mind the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent on Apple products (and warranties that I never used) over the last decade. Maybe this campaign will benefit me in this situation.