Apple to reveal Q4 2018 earnings on Nov. 1

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited October 2018
Apple on Tuesday announced plans to report quarterly earnings for the fourth quarter of 2018 at the end of trading on Nov. 1, when company executives could reveal an initial glimpse at iPhone XS and XS Max sales performance.

Earnings

Announced in an update to its Investor Relations webpage, Apple's fourth quarter conference call is scheduled for Thursday, Nov.1, at 2 p.m. Pacific, 5 p.m. Eastern.

As with past earnings calls, CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri are expected to provide detailed analysis and numbers for the three-month period ending in September. The pair will also field questions from investment analysts.

While the quarterly report is unlikely to exhibit material impact from last month's iPhone XS and Apple Watch Series 4 debut, Cook and Maestri might offer color on the new products' performance over what will be seven weeks.

The company is coming off its best June quarter ever, when it brought in $53.3 billion in revenue on the back of 41.3 million iPhone sales. With a higher mix of premium handset sales, revenue from iPhones hit $29.9 billion for the quarter, up 20 percent from $24.8 billion in 2017. The high-end iPhone X maintained its spot as Apple's most popular iPhone model, driving the smartphone's average selling price to $724.

Services also grew during the period, marking the 13th straight quarter of double-digit gains. Wearables, which includes products like Apple Watch and AirPods, grew 60 percent during the three-month period.

"Our Q3 results were driven by continued strong sales of iPhone, Services and Wearables, and we are very excited about the products and services in our pipeline," Cook said at the time.

Following news of the monster quarterly performance, Apple stock prices hit $200 for the first time since it split four years ago. Apple also became the first U.S. company to reach a market capitalization of $1 trillion.

For the September quarter, Apple is forecasting revenue between $60 billion and $62 billion with a gross margin between 38 percent and 38.5 percent.

AppleInsider will offer full coverage of the earnings call on Thursday, Nov. 1, starting at 2 p.m. Pacific, 5 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Q4 results and not Q3? Is Apple’s fiscal calendar not Jan to Dec? 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 9
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    joe28753 said:
    It’s roughly October through September. The actual dates vary from year to year because Apple’s quarters are 13 weeks rather than 3 months long, with a 14 week long quarter thrown in every now and then.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 9
    There are going to be a lot of very upset people that day.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 9
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    carnegie said:
    joe28753 said:
    It’s roughly October through September. The actual dates vary from year to year because Apple’s quarters are 13 weeks rather than 3 months long, with a 14 week long quarter thrown in every now and then.
    To be more precise about the definition, Apple’s quarters end on the last Saturday of each calendar quarter.  
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 9
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Short sellers?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 9
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Naysayers?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 9
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    carnegie said:
    joe28753 said:
    To be more precise about the definition, Apple’s quarters end on the last Saturday of each calendar quarter.  
    That’s typically how it works out, but it isn’t always the case. Quarters after the 14-week quarter (e.g., FY 2017 Q2) sometimes end on April 1st, the first Saturday of the following calendar quarter.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 8 of 9
    What I'm most interested in is the forecast for this holiday quarter.  Horace Dediu has predicted 30% growth in IOS devices compared to the holiday quarter of 2017.  Since Apple's forecasts tend to be very accurate, and Dediu is no slouch himself, I'm optimistically expecting to see a very large forecast.  Any opinions about this?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    What I'm most interested in is the forecast for this holiday quarter.  Horace Dediu has predicted 30% growth in IOS devices compared to the holiday quarter of 2017.  Since Apple's forecasts tend to be very accurate, and Dediu is no slouch himself, I'm optimistically expecting to see a very large forecast.  Any opinions about this?
    I think last year’s holiday quarter was a week shorter than this year’s holiday quarter, which (if it’s true) would give a nice little boost to the year-over-year comparisons. But I’m feeling pretty good about the quarter regardless—I think a lot of people are probably buying the Xs Max, because it’s an all-new design, easily recognizable as such, it’s got a massive screen in a relatively small body, and it’s the fanciest phone you can buy. It’s also very expensive, and probably has very respectable margins. The margins on the Xs will also be better than last year’s X, because it’s similar to the X in a number of ways, and the margins are alway better on the iterative releases.  So I expect to see great numbers for ASP and margins, maybe even some growth in units sold. Plus the new watch has gotten stellar reviews across the board and services will continue to grow at a fast pace. And maybe one more hardware announcement before the holidays?
    delreyjones