Apple doing 'outreach' to address weak LTE for some iPhone XS & XS Max owners

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is reaching out to some iPhone XS and XS Max owners suffering from LTE connection problems, which have been ongoing since the devices shipped in September.

iPhone XS

Those affected by the issue have encountered weaker connections than with earlier iPhones, even devices as recent as 2017's iPhone 8 and X. The problem is inconsistent however, as some other XS owners have seen no trouble, or even improvements.

"Apple just reached out to me to see if I could answer some questions about my XS Max reception issues," Twitter user Devin Meredith wrote on Wednesday, adding that "they're doing an outreach to some affected users and are asking to install a baseband logger to track my connection to the tower."

The root of the problem is uncertain. While hardware defects are a possibility, it could also be a software glitch, whether in iOS or carrier firmware. Apple has pushed out software updates for similar issues in the past.

Sources inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company have confirmed to AppleInsider that there is a "limited data collection effort" in progress.

Apple is already testing iOS 12.1, which could include related fixes. If the issue is deemed serious enough however, the company could push out a smaller interim fix.

The current outreach was first highlighted by MacRumors.
2lowes@att.net

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I'm pretty sure this happens with every new iPhone generation. It's good Apple is working to most likely fix the software issue with those few that suffer the issue.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    its always easy to overlook the real life practices when you're just testing in contrived environments.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    So, I have the new iPhone XS Max that I took delivery on the first day it was available and had connectivity issues for about a week. Called Verizon twice and they claimed that it wasn’t their problem. There is a fix so read on.

I noticed the problem whenever I leave the area of my WiFi connections either from home or at work. So, I’d leave my home and drive away, my WiFi drops and LTE doesn’t pick up. I would have no data connection but had voice service. I was able to place a call to Verizon from now iPhone and ended up resetting my network connection only on my iPhone (Reset Network Settings). That work around worked until next day.

Next day leaving work, I had the same issue. Worked fine all day on WiFi, get into my car and no data but had voice only like the day before. Drove through an area and I saw LTE go away and when the iPhone picked up 3G, I had data again, albeit slower connection.

Next day, leaving home, same issue; called Verizon and they told me it wasn’t their end. I then reset the iPhone by Resetting the Network Setting and that resolved the issue. I was prepared to reset the network 2 to 3 times a day until I could go to Apple Store and all of sudden, the issue went away on its own. So, fix for me ended up being 2 maybe 3 network only resets.

edited October 2018 wlymGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I've had this issue with my iPhone XS since I've had it. I just reboot the phone and the signal goes back to normal for a while...then I reboot and it comes back again for a while, etc. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I noticed connection issues too with my Max. Maybe that’s the price we pay for having an Intel modem instead of one from QUALCOMM.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Why don’t people just take defective units back? Why hold on to them?
    microbe
  • Reply 7 of 25
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    entropys said:
    Hate to say it but Apple needs to do more testing with responsible employees who won't leak the products in excitement.

Edit: Before release is what I mean. Strenuous testing before release.
    edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    entropys said:
    Because if its a software issue getting a new one won't fix it. Thats why! It appears as if in the 12.1 Beta the signal is better so to me its not a hardware issue, but rather a software issue. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 25
    New stuff will always require a lot of new fixes.  Apple dropped the first beta of iOS 12.1 almost immediately following the 12.0 release.  I'm with ATT and I had a carrier update popup on my new XS Max as soon as I fired it up.  As far as what's being reported in this case, Im happy to say Ive got no issues and things are way better than they were on my X as far as LTE goes.  No complaints here thankfully.... but, full disclosure, I am running iOS 12.1b2.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 10 of 25
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    My XS Max drops to 4G connection every now and then, so with my X that it replaced. Luckily, I haven’t yet noticed a no connection issue with LTE nor WiFi. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 11 of 25
    claire1 said:
    entropys said:
    Hate to say it but Apple needs to do more testing with responsible employees who won't leak the products in excitement.

It can be extremely difficult to reproduce and discover problems, and predict usage scenarios for millions of people in countless connectivity situations. That Apple puts out millions of devices and has had relatively few problems is actually very impressive.

You can be assured there is no iOS 12 situation with LTE or WiFi connectivity where Apple said ‘Hey, it works in our controlled and perfect test labs, so ship it!’ 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    entropys said:
    I don’t understand either. If the $1200 you gave Apple had several defective $10s and $20s I’m willing to bet they wouldn’t just sit back and say “Oh well, that’s the way life is!”.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    macxpress said:
    I've had this issue with my iPhone XS since I've had it. I just reboot the phone and the signal goes back to normal for a while...then I reboot and it comes back again for a while, etc. 
    Same here with the XS Max. It's making me crazy. I am hoping there is a software fix soon. If not I have to get it swapped out. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I'm pretty sure this happens with every new iPhone generation.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't. There's usually something that involves a smaller percentage of users, but not WiFi every time. But yeah, Apple gets it sorted.

netrox said:
    its always easy to overlook the real life practices when you're just testing in contrived environments.
    Don't be an idiot. Apple does a lot of real world testing outside of their labs and campus.

claire1 said:
    ...with responsible employees who won't leak the products in excitement.

Talk sense.

georgie01 said:
    It can be extremely difficult to reproduce and discover problems, and predict usage scenarios for millions of people in countless connectivity situations. That Apple puts out millions of devices and has had relatively few problems is actually very impressive.
    This ^ Nobody ships a perfect software/hardware device, not Apple or anybody else. It is the nature of tech.  I'd love to be able to say 'Apple always gets it right!" but they  don't. They do almost always make it right, though.

Maybe Samsung has found a way to test for every possible scenario and permutation of hardware and software interaction, before every model of every phone ever ships. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 25
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    This affects me on my XS Max.  I tried the network settings reset mentioned above without any discernible change.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I consistently get only 1 to 2 bars on my XS Max in locations where my 7 Plus had 4. I took the phone to AT&T, who did a SIM card change; no difference. They also reset Network Settings; no change. So they told me I needed to call 611 and have a network tech look into the problem while it was occurring. I did that as I left the AT&T store. After 20 minutes of remote testing, they told me it wasn’t their problem and I should take the phone to an Apple Store.

At the Apple Store, they started by taking my SIM card and installing it in an older phone, which had full strength ... not the SIM card. Then they did a full factory reset, no change. They swapped the phone for a new one. The new one started out at 3 bars, so I left, but within minutes it had dropped back to 1. I also updated to iOS 12.1 beta 2 when I got home to see if it had a fix; no change.

I tried to make another Genius Bar appointment, but when I identified the problem, the Apple support site wanted to do a call with a tech instead of letting me make an appointment. I got routed to a second level tech who told me Apple is aware of the issue and investigating, and asked if would I provide data from my phone for their engineers. I did, and it ended up being an hour long call while she took me through installing remote diagnostic profiles, multiple reboots, toggling WiFi on and off, Airplane Mode on and off, taking a gazillion screenshots of every step, and finally syncing to iTunes on my MacBook Pro and uploading the resulting gigabyte of log files and screenshots to Apple. And there were two 10 minute waits in the middle of it while the phone ran diagnostics. Thankfully the tech was delightful so those waits weren’t painful. 

Hopefully others are doing the same and giving Apple data to solve the problem quickly.
    edited October 2018 loquiturbluefire1tycho_macuserGeorgeBMaccaccamuccaKak1
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Today, XS Max, indicates 4 bars on lte but no networks connection....i hve to power down to get network connection back....not good sign
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macgui said:
    I'm pretty sure this happens with every new iPhone generation.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't. There's usually something that involves a smaller percentage of users, but not WiFi every time. But yeah, Apple gets it sorted.

netrox said:
    Don't be an idiot. Apple does a lot of real world testing outside of their labs and campus.

claire1 said:
    ...with responsible employees who won't leak the products in excitement.

Talk sense.

georgie01 said:
    This ^ Nobody ships a perfect software/hardware device, not Apple or anybody else. It is the nature of tech.  I'd love to be able to say 'Apple always gets it right!" but they  don't. They do almost always make it right, though.

Maybe Samsung has found a way to test for every possible scenario and permutation of hardware and software interaction, before every model of every phone ever ships. 
    In many cases, I think what we're seeing is simply the power of suggestion.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    macxpress said:
    entropys said:
    Because if its a software issue getting a new one won't fix it. Thats why! It appears as if in the 12.1 Beta the signal is better so to me its not a hardware issue, but rather a software issue. 
    Agreed..

I have posted here previously that I have also been experienced reduced wifi signal and speed on my Ipad Pro 10.5 since updating to IOS 12 it's not just my Xs Max.  So I also believe it is a software issue.

Still doesn't make me happy to have to deal with an issue like this with a 2 week old phone, or a less than a year old iPad but what can I do except wait for a software fix? If that doesn't work I will make an appointment to have them taken care of at the Apple store.

edited October 2018
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Today, XS Max, indicates 4 bars on lte but no networks connection....i hve to power down to get network connection back....not good sign
    Had this last night while reading and trying to post on the AI app.  I turned off WiFi and LTE and then just LTE back on and it allowed me to load a page and post a comment. I am def not happy as well..