AAPL ends day with new closing high of $229.28, hit $230 during trading

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Apple has set yet another record in the financial markets today, with the trillion-dollar company hitting $230.00 during trading and achieving a new all-time closing high of $229.28 on October 2.

Opening at $227.25 from a previous close of $227.26, the price of AAPL quickly rose to $229, hovering close to $230 and briefly touching the figure. At the end of the trading day, the price per share finished at $229.28, beating the previous closing high of $228.36 on September 1, which itself was increasing the record $227.63 one day earlier.

The shift in stock price arrives approximately ten days after the release of the premium iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, and two weeks before the release of the iPhone XR. The iPhone is a major revenue source for Apple, and early sales reports from analysts anticipate high shipment numbers by the end of the launch period of up to 80 million iPhones.

The new record is the latest in a number of financial events that have kept investors happy. One day after the July 31 quarterly earnings report, Apple's stock hit $200 per share for the first time since the company's stock split in 2014.

One day later, Apple became the first American company in history to achieve a market capitalization of $1 trillion. Currently, Apple's market capitalization lies north of $1.1 trillion.

Ahead of the launch of the iPhone XS, it was discovered Apple was the most-shorted company at $9.8 billion on September 10, the highest of any U.S. company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple is now $100 billion north of that $1 Trillion goalpost but still proudly failing at everything it tries. Just ask any YouTuber, any tech blogger, any analyst, any pundit.
    tmaychiaStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 10
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple is now $100 billion north of that $1 Trillion goalpost but still proudly failing at everything it tries. Just ask any YouTuber, any tech blogger, any analyst, any pundit.
    And rolling in cash every quarter 

• Reply 3 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    genovelle said:
    lkrupp said:
    And rolling in cash every quarter 

And they are slowly pulling farther away from Amazon, the darling of the FAANG stocks. One day Amazon briefly tapped $1 Trillion and immediately fell back. Apple hit $1 Trillion and never looked back. But it’s Apple that is worrisome? 
    edited October 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No complaints here and the ongoing negotiations with China over tariffs haven't hurt Apple in the slightest.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Apple currently has a P/E of 20.77.
    Google is at 51.83.
    Amazon is at 156.

In saying this, Apple probably turns more profit in one quarter than Amazon has ever done in it's lifetime.

I don't use Amazon or Walmart. I buy everything locally and if I can't purchase locally, I look for Mom & Pop websites. I get better prices and better personalized service; so screw Amazon.

I have been using Apple computers since 1984. Currently have 3 Apple Computers, a couple of iPads and 3 iPhones.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Borderdog said:
    Apple currently has a P/E of 20.77.
    Google is at 51.83.
    Amazon is at 156.

In saying this, Apple probably turns more profit in one quarter than Amazon has ever done in it's lifetime.

I don't use Amazon or Walmart. I buy everything locally and if I can't purchase locally, I look for Mom & Pop websites. I get better prices and better personalized service; so screw Amazon.

I have been using Apple computers since 1984. Currently have 3 Apple Computers, a couple of iPads and 3 iPhones.
    I know stock investing and valuation is commonly thought of as if separate from the rest of the real world and free from human factors, but stocks also gain or lose value based on sentiment and emotion. This is why I find references to the P/E number irrelevant and why most of all chartists amuse me with their reliance on trends. The stock is what it is because people like Apple. At some point, they may dislike it and the stock will go down.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 7 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    $1610 pre-split, incredible. 
    SpamSandwichspace2001
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lkrupp said:
    The first Trillion is always the hardest...
    space2001
  • Reply 9 of 10
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    And then you are only talking about the latest split...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    JanNL said:
    And then you are only talking about the latest split...
    Yeah, the only once since I bought in. :) It's amazing to think that shares I bought at ~$610, thinking they may  be peaking, are worth nearly 3x as much now.

I do wish I had the few shares at around $42 in 1990-something back in the day still. :)