Apple now blocks iOS app backups, but you can do something about it

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    "It also let you pick one of those apps and drag files to it via your Mac. We don't miss that"

I don't miss it either because it is still here :-) It's called iTunes file sharing and is still very convenient to transfer very large files.
    edited October 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 22 of 27
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Hell one project I worked on in 2005 was installing Win2K on brand spanking new HPs. FFS Win2K had been 10 years out of support by that time and it was all because “the software they were using just worked”.
    Considering Win2K came out in Feb 2000 and was only 5 years old, hard to see how it was 10 years out of support. In fact, Win2K continued to be supported with security patches through 2005, and was only ten years out of support three years ago. Are you sure you have ever worked in IT?
  • Reply 23 of 27
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Fortunately the article is wrong, though it did cause a moment of panic.

iCloud Backups do include Messages and Photos unless you have iCloud Messages and iCloud Photos enabled, in which case they are already stored on iCloud - from the support article that should have been linked:

• iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages
    • Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
    Similarly the other "unincluded" data are synced to iCloud or another source.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 27
    This is nonsense that I cannot backup my own apps, ESPECIALLY ones I PAID MONEY FOR!!!  

This is a legitimate reason to sue Apple over, if you ask me.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    This is nonsense that I cannot backup my own apps, ESPECIALLY ones I PAID MONEY FOR!!!  

This is a legitimate reason to sue Apple over, if you ask me.
    Maybe you should a) go read your App Store terms of service agreement you already agreed to, then b) read this article and the comments, both of which discuss ways to backup your precious apps without iTunes. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Ha, yes, iCloud backups...

...”great” when iOS devices sport 512GB capacity (and you may have a few of them), and you want to store some documents and e-mail in iCloud, too.

It means you’re almost forced into the $9.99/month plan (in addition to you mobile plan, your AppleCare subscriptions, your AppleMusic subscription, your home internet subscription), and after spending all that money on Apple hardware and services you may still run out of space and lose the use of apps for which you have paid.

Meanwhile a 5TB USB3 portable drive cost about as much as a one year iCloud subscription, will last you more than twice as long and offers more than twice the capacity.

Of course, with Apple pushing app subscriptions, in addition to all the above mentioned fees, you need to pay app subscriptions, and if the company goes belly up, you lose the app and the data...
    ...start to get why app subscriptions are evil?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    rcfa said:
    Ha, yes, iCloud backups...

...”great” when iOS devices sport 512GB capacity (and you may have a few of them), and you want to store some documents and e-mail in iCloud, too.

It means you’re almost forced into the $9.99/month plan (in addition to you mobile plan, your AppleCare subscriptions, your AppleMusic subscription, your home internet subscription), and after spending all that money on Apple hardware and services you may still run out of space and lose the use of apps for which you have paid.

Meanwhile a 5TB USB3 portable drive cost about as much as a one year iCloud subscription, will last you more than twice as long and offers more than twice the capacity.

Of course, with Apple pushing app subscriptions, in addition to all the above mentioned fees, you need to pay app subscriptions, and if the company goes belly up, you lose the app and the data...
    ...start to get why app subscriptions are evil?
    ... So don't back up to iCloud then. I don't.