Apple drops BeatsX pricing, cuts several color options

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday lowered the price of its BeatsX headphones from $149.95 to $119.95, simultaneously sacrificing multiple color options.

BeatsX

The headphones are now available in just two colors from Apple, silver and black. Blue, gold, space gray, and even white have been eliminated, as has the black and red "Defiant" option.

The reason for the changes is uncertain. The product may have had trouble competing at its previous price point, which was only about $10 cheaper than AirPods. Both accessories use Apple's W1 wireless chip, supporting easier pairing and steadier connections, but the AirPods are of course fully wireless, and offer additional perks like a charging case.

The main advantages of the BeatsX are an inline remote, and the ability to let them hang around the neck, thanks to cords as well as magnets that lock the earbuds together.

Apple may also have realized that it's being undercut by third-party retailers. B&H, for example, is selling the BeatsX for $99, and Best Buy is even cheaper at $90.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    I know they aren't the best wireless headphones out there, but I've been very happy with my BeatsX.  I bought them "certified refurbished" from Best Buy about a year ago for only $59 and they have performed pretty well so far.  I prefer the strap style around the neck as I'm pretty active and was worried about losing a single earbud if I had gone with the AirPods.   Also I like having inline pause/volume controls on the cord.

Don't know if I would pay full price, but at the price I got them at refurbished they've been a good deal.
    edited October 2018 claire1albegarcracerhomie3williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It’s that an “Ecks” or a “Ten”?
    aknabi
  • Reply 3 of 15
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Makes me wonder why gold/space gray iPhone colors are being dropped. I think they dropped these colors for another headphone line.

Should Beats release a new Pill? Maybe Apple thinks they will canibalize HomePod but damn were Pills successful!

It’s that an “Ecks” or a “Ten”?

Just to be cool, no other reason I believe. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I tried Air Pods first, but they didn't stay in my ears.

I also tried Powerbeats Wireless3, but they didn't stay in my ears, either. And one over the ear clip eventually broke off.

So I tried BeatsX, and I really like them. Using the "ear wings", they stay in my ears comfortably. I like the easy pairing which makes switching between iMac, iBook, and iPhone, throughout the day, quick and easy.

My iPhone tends to switch its Bluetooth to my Honda CR-V's handsfree when I'm in the car, but I can switch to my BeatsX quickly via iTunes' bluetooth menu at the bottom of the song sheet.

Though they have only an 8-hour charge life, they charge up again quickly.

I also like the magnets which snap together when they're hanging around my neck.

I bought a blue set, but I don't mind the limited color selection, as I'd also be happy with black or silver.
    williamlondondocno42
  • Reply 5 of 15
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU........

Of course, of course.
    Apple almost never ever reduce prices on anything unless it has been superseded.
    Oh, except for BeatsX, 6 weeks after I bought them.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    My AirPods, last 40 minutes talk time (they are 2 years old but...), FRESH out of the charging case, how are these?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    "The main advantages of the BeatsX are an inline remote, and the ability to let them hang around the neck, thanks to cords as well as magnets that lock the earbuds together."

Uh, no - the main advantage of the BeatsX are as @LoneStar88 said - they can be customized to fit your ears.  I dunno how people tolerate stuffing hard plastic of the AirPods in their ears. 

I have the Beats over the ear headphones but I really don't like over the ear headphones.  I've been eyeing these for some time; I may just need to pull the trigger on them with this price break.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    I am like some others here. Apple Air Pods don’t stay in my ears. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 9 of 15
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Paid $90 for mine brand new on amazon.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    rezwits said:
    My AirPods, last 40 minutes talk time (they are 2 years old but...), FRESH out of the charging case, how are these?
    About 3.5hr (new) on Facetime Audio (AAC) .They have no charging case.I don’t know about the phone call battery life.

Airpods are better for overall day to day usage specially due to the battery case. Fast charging on AirPods which Beats X also has are enabled by the efficiency of the W1 chip.
    I used both the Beats X & AirPods.Sold the Beats X & got the AirPods. AirPods are much more satisfying for me.

edited October 2018 space2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wanderso said:
    I am like some others here. Apple Air Pods don’t stay in my ears. 
    Yes, Apple said at the launch that they won’t fit anyone. 

Mine fit great, but I have a friend with ears like a Vulcan … no chance. 

This is why I’d be surprised if they were canning the BeatsX without a replacement … unless sales have completely dried up due to the AirPods 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    docno42 said:
    Uh, no - the main advantage of the BeatsX are as @LoneStar88 said - they can be customized to fit your ears.  I dunno how people tolerate stuffing hard plastic of the AirPods in their ears. 
    100% agreed. I have a pair of BeatsX with some third-party foam tips. They're great fit and blocks out a good amount of background noise even without ANC.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ciacia Posts: 252member

My iPhone tends to switch its Bluetooth to my Honda CR-V's handsfree when I'm in the car, but I can switch to my BeatsX quickly via iTunes' bluetooth menu at the bottom of the song sheet.

Not sure if this will work for you, but for me whenever I open my car door while using my BeatsX the phone will autoswitch to the car like you mentioned.  Instead of digging through the phone menu's to switch it back, I just hit the inline Play/Pause button on the beatsX and it switches back from the car to my headphones.   Give that a shot.  Takes a second for it to happen but it's way faster then manually switching it from the phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Bon JourBon Jour Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    i am not impressed with Beats (anything)...the prices are high, the quality is POOR, ....Bose all the way !
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cia said:

Not sure if this will work for you, but for me whenever I open my car door while using my BeatsX the phone will autoswitch to the car like you mentioned.  Instead of digging through the phone menu's to switch it back, I just hit the inline Play/Pause button on the beatsX and it switches back from the car to my headphones.   Give that a shot.  Takes a second for it to happen but it's way faster then manually switching it from the phone.
    Thanks. I'll try it!