What's new in iOS 12.1 beta 2 -- bug fixes, emoji, and charging fix

Posted:
in iOS
The second beta of iOS 12.1 has arrived and with it comes several improvements. Notably, it includes over 70 new emoji, a fix for the charging bug introduced in iOS 12, and performance improvements.

iOS 12.1 Beta 2
iOS 12.1 Beta 2

Making the biggest headline is the addition of over 70 emoji. Apple previewed these earlier in the year and are just now making their way to iOS. The most notable of which include the freezing face, red/curly/grey/no hair characters, and several new animals. Check out our hands-on video to see the other new emoji coming in iOS 12.1.

Next, Apple has included a fix for the charging issue plaguing a very small set of iPhone and iPad owners where the device refused to charge until awakened after the iOS 12 update.

The second beta of iOS 12.1 was seeded to developers alongside betas of watchOS 5.1, macOS Mojave, and tvOS 12.1.

Check out what changed in beta 1 of iOS 12.1 including the return of Group FaceTime!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    How can anyone keep track of all these emojis? I know that in Japan, where this first took a big hold, they use it constantly, but otherwise...sheesh!
    dysamoriaclaire1
  • Reply 2 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross said:
    How can anyone keep track of all these emojis? I know that in Japan, where this first took a big hold, they use it constantly, but otherwise...sheesh!
    How else would anyone be able to express their taco emotions?
    dysamoriaclaire1wlym
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I wonder if this addresses the poor Wifi and LTE I have been experiencing. I used SpeedTest last night in my house against a generic Motorola phone I use for music on the treadmill and the Moto blew the XS Max out of the water on Wifi. The phone is really slow on Wifi and LTE is borderline useless some times. I hope this isn't a hardware flaw like some articles have pointed out. 
    wlym
  • Reply 4 of 11
    XS Max here.... this beta 2 update just killed my WiFi! I have to keep reconnecting it WTF?!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    melgross said:

I was wondering if I was the only one who thought it odd that something trivial like an emoji with a new hair color was discussed before a bug that prevented the phone from charging. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Next, Apple has included a fix for the charging issue plaguing a very small set of iPhone and iPad owners where the device refused to charge until awakened after the iOS 12 update.
    Can someone explain how something like this happens with identical hardware in all devices? How does the software behave differently for a small subset of users?
    Scot1
  • Reply 7 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    melgross said:
    I basically came here to say exactly the same thing. It’s beyond the point of utility and going deep into time wasting trying to look through them. There’s no search feature. At best, auto text might suggest the one you want, but then you’re typing the words anyway, just to add emoji after them.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Did anyone else notice they've been silently updating the modem firmware. Below are screenshots of iOS 12.1 Beta 1 and Beta 2

edited October 2018
  • Reply 9 of 11
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    CAN EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT CHARGEGATE NOW?

no?
    wlym
  • Reply 10 of 11
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    My Xs was fine in this regard before I changed providers. Now with Bell Canada (supposedly the best network in Canada) I'm also experiencing ridiculously slow LTE /Wifi and usually only 1 bar for cellular. Sigh.
    I wonder if this addresses the poor Wifi and LTE I have been experiencing. I used SpeedTest last night in my house against a generic Motorola phone I use for music on the treadmill and the Moto blew the XS Max out of the water on Wifi. The phone is really slow on Wifi and LTE is borderline useless some times. I hope this isn't a hardware flaw like some articles have pointed out. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    It continues to amaze me that enough people find emojis such a compelling feature that Apple and other companies tout it in their releases and continue to put out point releases that include new ones.

Just wow.