Apple executives receive over $30M each in vested stock bonus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    avon b7 said:
    rwx9901 said:
    Wow. Performance based bonuses. What a novel idea. It blows my mind how other people take such an interest in the private lives of others when it comes to money. Wealth envy has not gone away even though Obama is gone. If you earn millions good for you. That's nobody else's business but your own.
    His salary isn't his private life. I have no interest in that. However, salaries and bonuses of civil servants and executives in public listed companies are open to debate.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/18/america-ceo-worker-pay-gap-new-data-what-can-we-do

This is one of the few times you can crow about Huawei and not catch a raft load of shit from me unless the ESOP has changed in the last couple years.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    davgreg said:
    As a long time shareholder and customer, I cannot see any reason Angela Ahrendts should get her salary much less a bonus. The Apple stores are less well run and useful than before and they sell mostly stuff you can buy anywhere.

I can buy an iPad, iPhone, Beats headphones and such at any Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, phone store, etc. What I cannot get just anywhere is Mac stuff and an extensive collection of HomeKit stuff.

The origins of the Apple Stores was the atrocious state of the retail chain. One of the things that made the places worth going to was the fact that they had the full line of Apple HW, had a broad collection of accessories to include music, photography and video stuff and a lot of software. Then they also had a staff that was highly knowledgeable concerning what Apple sold and how it could be used. That was Ron Johnson and Steve Jobs.

I can go to the Apple Store today and buy a Mac, but cannot buy a hub despite Apple moving steadily toward designs that require them. No music creation or photography stuff, no video cameras, but I can buy the same DJI helicopter that can be bought at any Wal-Mart. The staff these days are many times people who do not even know their way around a Macintosh and have only the slightest concept of what can be done on one.

It is not uncommon to hear some people call the places the "iiPhone Store" which is essentially what they have become. To quote they guy in the White House: Sad!
    This all happened under her oversight.
    Yes, the “atrocious” state of the most profitable retail properties in the world run by one of the most successful retail executives in history. 

You complain they both carry stuff you can get anywhere and don’t carry stuff you can get anywhere. Which is it? All the stuff you listed them not having you can easily find on Amazon. Why should they sell what would have to be a seriously limited selection of audio/visual equipment when you’re much better served going to B&H? So you can complain they don’t know enough about a/v equipment made by company x?
    christopher126
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Ok, I love Apple, but there is something extremely perverse here....

Maybe bring the factories and jobs back from China and only get $1million bonuses!

Maybe even pay a living wage, stop using 87 polluting 747's to fly iPhones 7,000 miles to the US from China.

If Toyota can build quality cars in Alabama (of all places), surely Apple can build iPhones here in the US as well!

Oooof! Just say'n. It's like eating your leg for dinner. Not much future in it. :)

Building these devices requires rare elements mined in China. China won’t allow access to them unless you are prepared to manufacture your gear in the country. 
    Those rare earth elements are one of the reasons Apple (and every other manufacturer) wants your old phones back.

On the bonuses, I also think they are obscene, perverse or of just plain wrong, if you prefer weaker adjective. Of course that's just an opinion but I'm sure it's a majority opinion.

They can be tackled at government level through taxes and some governments are looking at taxation as a way to deincentivise the 'misuse' of of these mechanisms. Especially when the short term gain (the reason for the bonus) does long term harm to company, involves corrupt practices or puts unnecessary burden on governments.

Well, simple solution.

If you find a company that is paying bonuses that bother you then don't buy their stuff.

If, as you claim, that the vast majority think the same as you, then I'm sure that the companies will do as you say pretty darn quick.

Odd that it hasn't happened as yet though, isn't it?

A bit facile...you assume the majority of the buying public is 'informed.' Not so.

I do find your simple solution to a complex problem somewhat, shall we say, 'intriguing.'
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 24 of 25

Rayz2016 said:
    Ok, I love Apple, but there is something extremely perverse here....

Maybe bring the factories and jobs back from China and only get $1million bonuses!

Maybe even pay a living wage, stop using 87 polluting 747's to fly iPhones 7,000 miles to the US from China.

If Toyota can build quality cars in Alabama (of all places), surely Apple can build iPhones here in the US as well!

Oooof! Just say'n. It's like eating your leg for dinner. Not much future in it. :)

Building these devices requires rare elements mined in China. China won’t allow access to them unless you are prepared to manufacture your gear in the country. 
    You may know more about than I do.

I was under the impression that the rare earth elements you speak of are from Africa. Hence, the pull-back of China buying American T-Bills (down 22% year over year) and increased investment in Africa, etc., Congo, specifically.

I thought China, a large a land mass as it is, is challenged as far as minerals, oil, etc. But abundant in coal. I may be wrong about this. :)
  • Reply 25 of 25

30 million as an annual bonus is obscene. That’s an exit for some lucky entrepreneurs in this world, and a number most people who work hard to put phones together will never ever see. 

Compensation to managers is important but there’s a limit. 

Agreed, the 'best' people are not at Harvard. The best people may be working in a cement plant in Nairobi. Just say'n. (Perhaps, a bit off topic.) :)