Apple's A12 Bionic comes close to desktop CPU performance in benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

hentaiboy said:
    So why doesn’t Apple use these in its notebooks and end the reliance on Intel?
    I'm willing to bet the farm Apple is working on it. You're already seeing how they're doing other things to support it as far as hardware. I'll still say the next Mac mini will have an Apple CPU/GPU inside it rather than an Intel CPU. I'm thinking this is what is delaying its release. 

I don't see any Zen CPUs, or recent Xeon or i7 CPUs on that benchmark. Just a bought of arm embedded SoC APUs.
    I was thinking the same thing. The headline makes you think they're gonna get compared to regular CPU's. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 70
    hentaiboy said:
    I think Apple should stay on good terms with Intel and keep some high-end computers using Intel processors.  I'm still not satisfied with AMDs power-sucking processors even if they are quite strong at benchmarks.  Apple's stupidly thin computer cases badly need cool-running processors.

It sound like a bunch of malarkey to me. I can't see any of Apple's A-series SoCs matching an Intel i9 processor in high-end processing. Sure, maybe the A-series can compete against Intel i3s and i5s but that's about as far as it goes. I wish Apple all the luck in the world. It will need it. There's no way Wall Street is going to give a higher valuation to Apple due to competing with Intel's desktop offerings.

Apparently, Apple isn't interested in building powerhouse desktops and will likely settle for some meager-performing laptops or desktops they can make higher profit margins from. Just barely powerful enough for the average computer user. I think I know how Apple thinks and I'm sure Apple doesn't like to directly compete against any other manufacturer on a head-to-head basis. We'll see no brute force computers from Apple if they're switching over to A-series SoCs. Although I know it's not practical, I really get peeved when I see Intel/Windows system benchmarks up there in the stratosphere and Apple has absolutely nothing worthwhile to compare. I get it, I really do. It's just not Apple's way. Dell sells Alienware laptops that are bad-ass devices for gaming. There's no good financial reason for Apple to sell stuff like that.

If Apple does decide to go ARM with its computers, I just hope they are somewhat respectable because I absolutely hate the way reviewers are always criticizing Apple products due to their mediocre performance and high cost. Apple's future ARM solution better be really spectacular at something other than high profit margins. I'm just hoping Apple has some mystery SoC that can match a mid-range quad-core or hexacore Intel i7 but that doesn't seem very likely. Apple can do whatever it wants and doesn't need my approval. I just hope Apple really makes the right choice to keep the company up there above other tech companies.
    edited October 2018 entropyswilliamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 70
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    hentaiboy said:
    I think Apple should stay on good terms with Intel and keep some high-end computers using Intel processors.  I'm still not satisfied with AMDs power-sucking processors even if they are quite strong at benchmarks.  Apple's stupidly thin computer cases badly need cool-running processors.

It sound like a bunch of malarkey to me. I can't see any of Apple's A-series SoCs matching an Intel i9 processor in high-end processing. Sure, maybe the A-series can compete against Intel i3s and i5s but that's about as far as it goes. I wish Apple all the luck in the world. It will need it. There's no way Wall Street is going to give a higher valuation to Apple due to competing with Intel's desktop offerings.

Apparently, Apple isn't interested in building powerhouse desktops and will likely settle for some meager-performing laptops or desktops they can make higher profit margins from. Just barely powerful enough for the average computer user. I think I know how Apple thinks and I'm sure Apple doesn't like to directly compete against any other manufacturer on a head-to-head basis. We'll see no brute force computers from Apple if they're switching over to A-series SoCs. Although I know it's not practical, I really get peeved when I see Intel/Windows system benchmarks up there in the stratosphere and Apple has absolutely nothing worthwhile to compare. I get it, I really do. It's just not Apple's way. Dell sells Alienware laptops that are bad-ass devices for gaming. There's no good financial reason for Apple to sell stuff like that.

If Apple does decide to go ARM with its computers, I just hope they are somewhat respectable because I absolutely hate the way reviewers are always criticizing Apple products due to their mediocre performance and high cost. Apple's future ARM solution better be really spectacular at something other than high profit margins. I'm just hoping Apple has some mystery SoC that can match a mid-range quad-core or hexacore Intel i7 but that doesn't seem very likely. Apple can do whatever it wants and doesn't need my approval. I just hope Apple really makes the right choice to keep the company up there above other tech companies.
    I think I also know how Apple thinks and I think Apple actually thinks about how many coal-fired power plants exist to power computers with specs beyond what most users need.  It’s a thin line between compute power and compute efficiency, and I think Apple deliberately walks the compute efficiency side of that line, know it could easily spec up (design) a crazy performing machine and knowing they will constantly take flack for not doing so.  But that’s the path Apple walks, better for the environment, worse for performance-hungry consumers who don’t think of that bigger picture. 
    Rayz2016charlesgreswilliamlondonStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    hentaiboy said:

If Apple were to do it, they wouldn't do it all at once. it would be a slow transition...and its possible its Pro products would stick with Intel with consumer products being Apple CPU based for a while. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 70
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    I don't see any Zen CPUs, or recent Xeon or i7 CPUs on that benchmark. Just a bought of arm embedded SoC APUs.

Are you referring to SPEC? On the Ars Macintosh Achaia forums, someone tabulated single threaded SPEC2006 Integer scores between a Xeon 8176 (SkyLake-X) and Anandtech’s A12 scores. The Xeon turbos to 3.8 GHz while the A12 “turbos” to 2.5 GHz.
                        Xeon 8176                  Apple A12

400.perlbench       46.4                       45.38
    401.bzip2           25.0                       28.54
    403.gcc             31.0                       44.56
    429.mcf             40.6                       49.92
    445.gobmk           27.6                       38.54
    456.hmmer           35.6                       44.04
    458.sjeng           30.8                       36.60
    462.libquantum      86.2                      113.40
    464.h264ref         64.5                       66.59 
    471.omnetpp         37.9                       35.73
    473.astar           24.7                       27.25
    483.xalancbmk       63.7                       57.03
    Someone will probably tabulate the SPECfp2006 scores sooner or later. FORTRAN can’t be compiled for iOS just yet, and it will only be the C or C++ ones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    hentaiboy said:

Well, reviewers will continue to criticise Apple I'm afraid because reviewer tests are geared towards lab stats, and not real world performance. If we look at what Apple will be doing with their phones and tablets then we can see that they will not be relying on just improving the their main processor.

Of course, Apple will continue to improve their ARM processors, and Intel will continue to slow down as their interest and resources are diverted to more profitable pursuits (such as 5G modems and manufacturing ARM processors).

Apple will continue to design, build and improve other chips that will take more of the load from their processors.

They will design, build and improve APIs that will automatically route operations to the best component to handle them.

They will continue to optimise their operating systems to bleed the best performance out of their hardware.

So it's not just a case of building faster chips. The apps that stick to the APIs will gain the most benefits. The likes of Adobe are going to struggle unless they bite the bullet and write a proper native app (having said that, perhaps their best bet is to start with their iOS based products and build them out to desktop-level), but that will give the opportunities for the newer players to get a foothold in the market.

For people who are more concerned with benchmarks over real world performance then I see a lot of teeth-gnashing ahead. For everyone else, the future ARM-based Macs will be every bit as nippy as the Intel machines they replace.

That's my view anyway.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Slightly off topic - In the same Anandtech review of iphone Xs and Xs Max, anyone going through the "Camera - Low light evaluation" would be surprised with the results there. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/11
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 70
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    Slightly off topic - In the same Anandtech review of iphone Xs and Xs Max, anyone going through the "Camera - Low light evaluation" would be surprised with the results there. 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/11
    How would we be surprised?
  • Reply 29 of 70
    KITA said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    And what is the Android crowd’s reaction? Can’t you guess? They’re babbling on about Intel modems being inferior to Qualcomm modems. You can’t will argue with that crowd. They got it covered from every angle. When they lose in one area they just jump to something else.
    We still haven't seen the A12X yet either. Anantech appeared to be hugely impressed with how efficient the A12 was, but noted that Apple needs to apply some changes to iPhone XS when it was cold. That was entirely due To Apple not designing the A12 to excel at benchmarks, even as it does.
    It's not just a benchmark issue. 

Anandtech:

I played some Fortnite on the iPhone XS’, and the way that the phones heated up isn’t something that I was very much fan of. Here the must be some kind of way to let actual games and applications which have a characteristic of sustained performance, actually start off with the GPU limited to this sustained performance state.

So, you're basically asking for a gaming mode to mitigate the "cold start" experience? Not sure that's the way to go on this.

Fast processor ramp up/down is giving a great usr experience otherwise, and frankly is miles ahead of the competition's efficiencies, according to the reviewer. 

Perhaps this would be best handled by adding some ML routines, if they aren't already there, learning a user's behavior and app use, not by adding a game mode.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 70
    radarthekat said:

I think I also know how Apple thinks and I think Apple actually thinks about how many coal-fired power plants exist to power computers with specs beyond what most users need.  It’s a thin line between compute power and compute efficiency, and I think Apple deliberately walks the compute efficiency side of that line, know it could easily spec up (design) a crazy performing machine and knowing they will constantly take flack for not doing so.  TBut that’s the path Apple walks, better for the environment, worse for performance-hungry consumers who don’t think of that bigger picture. 
    OT, but I had a palm/forehead moment the other day... watching an ad about power storage for solar arrays and windmills — using lead-acid battery arrays to store the power generated for use when the sun/wind is not available.

What is the environmental cost of:
    • building the batteries
    • maintaining the batteries
    • disposing of the batteries after their useful life

muthuk_vanalingamjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 70
    tmay said:

Didn't go through that section??? Spoiler alert - Avon B7 would brag about the REAL INNOVATION that Huawei has brought to the smartphone cameras. Many people in this forum who believe that Apple is the ONLY innovator would be surprised with the results there. You are NOT one of those who believe ONLY Apple can innovate, so it may not be a surprise to you. But for the knockoff commentors in this forum, it would be a surprise that a chinese company can actually innovate and move the camera technology forward. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 32 of 70
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    muthuk_vanalingam said:
    Didn't go through that section??? Spoiler alert - Avon B7 would brag about the REAL INNOVATION that Huawei has brought to the smartphone cameras. Many people in this forum who believe that Apple is the ONLY innovator would be surprised with the results there. You are NOT one of those who believe ONLY Apple can innovate, so it may not be a surprise to you. But for the knockoff commentors in this forum, it would be a surprise that a chinese company can actually innovate and move the camera technology forward. 

Why should they read it? Most Apple users don't give a fuck about Android or Windows.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Blunt said:
    muthuk_vanalingam said:

Why should they read it? Most Apple users don't give a fuck about Android or Windows.

I've always found it odd that Android/Google fans like to hang around Apple forums constantly braying about how good their platform is. But I've never felt the need to hang around an Android forum because, as you say, I don't actually care about Android.

It's almost as if these folk are trying to convince themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

williamlondontmayericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Rayz2016 said:
    Blunt said:
    muthuk_vanalingam said:

I've always found it odd that Android/Google fans like to hang around Apple forums constantly braying about how good their platform is. But I've never felt the need to hang around an Android forum because, as you say, I don't actually care about Android.

It's almost as if these folk are trying to convince themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A sad little bunch of hyper-partisan minion apologists who have nothing better to do with their time than disparage and attack what they have been told is the "enemy." Such good little dupes they are, offering themselves as fodder (and ridicule) while they fight an imagined war where the only actual winners of any divide and rule strategy are the owners of the corporations to whom they have sworn fealty.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 70
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    MrWally said:
    Interesting Graph.  I like this type of Comparison - Visual with some numbers.  I am thinking Apple will keep on rolling with the A Series Chips until they create a new Money Stream(s).  Perhaps one day the A Series will become what everyone wants in their Computers , be them Mac, Windows, Linux or what ever.  I see the potential for the A Series to rapidly overcome what ever I might need in a Phone .  As an investor, Apple is doing the right things to grow it's chip design departments in all areas.  In general, I don't trust the Overseas' Manufacturers.  I trust Apple is in control of the Manufacturing - I remember the days when they could not pay for parts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 70
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,684member
    Blunt said:
    muthuk_vanalingam said:

'Most' but not all (and I'd wager that not even most.)

Some (many?) people use both systems and have an genuine interest in what's happening in both camps.

I'd go so far to say that most phone users here (and elsewhere) actually do 'give a fuck', which goes directly against what you think.

Just take a look at some of the people posting in threads here on Apple's competitors.

Why even bother posting if they really don't 'give a fuck'?

• Reply 37 of 70
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    gmgravytrain said:

It sound like a bunch of malarkey to me. I can't see any of Apple's A-series SoCs matching an Intel i9 processor in high-end processing. Sure, maybe the A-series can compete against Intel i3s and i5s but that's about as far as it goes.
    I'm just hoping Apple has some mystery SoC that can match a mid-range quad-core or hexacore Intel i7 but that doesn't seem very likely. 
    What most people -- including you -- seem to miss is that the performance benchmark matchups we've seen to date are Intel desktop/mobile processors vs Apple's iPhone/iPad A12 processors. And that Apple's A12 performance numbers are constrained by the energy and heat dissipation budgets forced by the iPhone and iPad.

So, today, an A12 can match the processing power of an i5 (and some i7's)... in a PHONE and a TABLET.

Which leads me to wonder what an AXX chip could do installed in a notebook... with a notebook sized-battery and a notebook's larger and active cooling systems???

Or to put it another way. What happens when Apple takes the gloves off?
    edited October 2018 MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 70
    tmay said:

It's interesting that you didn't even comment on the A12, which unsurprisingly actually is innovative, according to the article.

I'm not surprised that the Huawei P20 Pro has better low light performance than the iPhone XS, but only marginally. But innovation? That's Zeiss, thanks very much, since they were Huawei's partner. Credit for Huawei getting a Halo model, but otherwise, I can't find any independent data that indicates that P20 Pro's sell well, and frankly, I wouldn't trust Huawei's numbers.

I would note that the iPhone XS came in second by only four points to the P20 Pro in dxomark, even if it doesn't mean all that much; there's an article of that on AI which is where I would be arguing about Huawei innovation.

Next year, Sony will release the IMX586, which is a much more useful innovation in reality; now imagine three of those on a smartphone.

https://gizmodo.com/sony-s-monstrous-new-smartphone-camera-sensor-could-mak-1827798606

I like the rumored configuration of the Samsung triple lens model; three color imagers with three different apertures, one variable, and three different focal lengths. I expect Apple and others to follow up with similar configurations.

edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 70
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    hmlongco said:
    gmgravytrain said:

It sound like a bunch of malarkey to me. I can't see any of Apple's A-series SoCs matching an Intel i9 processor in high-end processing. Sure, maybe the A-series can compete against Intel i3s and i5s but that's about as far as it goes.
    I'm just hoping Apple has some mystery SoC that can match a mid-range quad-core or hexacore Intel i7 but that doesn't seem very likely. 
    What most people -- including you -- seem to miss is that the performance benchmark matchups we've seen to date are Intel desktop/mobile processors vs Apple's iPhone/iPad A12 processors. And that Apple's A12 performance numbers are constrained by the energy and heat dissipation budgets forced by the iPhone and iPad.

So, today, an A12 can match the processing power of an i5 (and some i7's)... in a PHONE and a TABLET.

Which leads me to wonder what an AXX chip could do installed in a notebook... with a notebook sized-battery and a notebook's larger and active cooling systems???

Or to put it another way. What happens when Apple takes the gloves off?
    Do keep in mind, for the SPEC benchmark, the A12 was being cooled on a test bench. It was running at a higher TDP than what can be sustained on the iPhone's passive cooling alone.

Anandtech:
    The performance measurement was run in a synthetic environment (read: bench fan cooling the phones) where we assured thermals wouldn’t be an issue for the 1-2 hours it takes to complete a full suite run.
    There's still a little more to it than just the hardware though, but overall an impressive showing from Apple.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 40 of 70
    KITAKITA Posts: 393member
    avon b7 said:
    Blunt said:
    muthuk_vanalingam said:

'Most' but not all (and I'd wager that not even most.)

Some (many?) people use both systems and have an genuine interest in what's happening in both camps.

I'd go so far to say that most phone users here (and elsewhere) actually do 'give a fuck', which goes directly against what you think.

Just take a look at some of the people posting in threads here on Apple's competitors.

Why even bother posting if they really don't 'give a fuck'?

I found his comment to be rather ironic given this is one of the front page threads right now on r/Android:

The top comments are users who are genuinely impressed with the technology, not some frivolous fanboys rioting.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra