YouTuber trolls Twitter in "Beautygate" sting using iPhone XS Max photos identified as Pix...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
YouTube personality Jonathan Morrison has used "Beautygate" to trick members of his audience to highlight bias against Apple's camera, by receiving compliments on social media for self portraits claimed to have been taken on the Google Pixel 2, but were in fact taken on the iPhone XS Max.

Capitalizing on the current uproar over "Beautygate," a phenomena with the iPhone XS and XS Max's front-facing camera that makes it appear there is aggressive skin smoothing filters applied to a self portrait, Jonathan Morrison took to Twitter and Instagram to share self portraits he claimed were taken on a different smartphone: the Google Pixel 2.

One more Pixel 2 Selfie - thoughts on indoor shot with different lighting? pic.twitter.com/z1z1jAtCRE

-- Jonathan Morrison (@tldtoday)

The two images depicted Morrison in a vehicle and in a studio, with different lighting effects for each. While the Pixel 2 is identified as the smartphone that "took" the shots, there is no mention of Beautygate, iPhone, or other hardware by Morrison in any accompanying text, presumably to avoid directly asking followers to participate in a debate.

Taken on Pixel 2 - rocking the smalls hat thoughts? pic.twitter.com/v3zdmZUQY7

-- Jonathan Morrison (@tldtoday)

The comments shortly after the images were published were largely complimentary towards the Pixel 2, with some users praising Google's smartphone for its quality, and others adding it looked better than the iPhone XS Max. Others mentioned the lack of a "make-up effect," that it could easily be mistaken for a DSLR, it has the "best portrait mode yet," and the joke hashtag #nobeautygate.

In a video published on Sunday, Morrison revealed the deception, confirming the images were actually taken on an iPhone XS Max.

"So I just wanted there to be a lesson out there, don't let a preconceived notion or headline skew your judgement, because clearly everyone who thought that was a Pixel automatically assumed that it was much better than the iPhone," comments Morrison, continuing "when in fact that was the same iPhone XS Max that apparently had all of the Beautygate problems."

Morrison goes on to recap existing analysis of the iPhone XS Max's front-facing camera, where it is performing a high level of noise reduction to the image, so high that it affects the appearance of a subject's skin, rather than the application of a specific make-up filter. The effect is also more pronounced in odd lighting situations, as the camera app could increase the ISO, which in turn increases noise, requiring more noise reduction.

It is possible that Apple will be making changes to how the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max's cameras perform filtering on images in a future software update, with AppleInsider sources confirming such activity is underway. For the moment, users should make sure there is adequate lighting before taking a selfie, if they want to minimize the effect.

patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    agmsragmsr Posts: 6member
    Those shots would only trick someone who doesn't know what Pixel 2 selfies look like. The new iPhone selfies are noticeably smoother/translucent and warmer than Pixel 2 selfies, which are high-resolution but flatter/harsher than iPhone (I have a Pixel 2). The selfies above are obviously not Pixel 2 shots.
    williamlondongatorguyalbegarc
  • Reply 2 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Perfect example of bias confirmation. You see what you want to see, not what’s actually there. And I’d bet my next pension check that the same people complimenting those pictures were also commenting on how horrible the pictures were on iPhone X Max review videos. Never fear though, it’s the same as the shoe on the other foot with iPhone fans claiming superiority of their pictures over the Pixel 2 or Galaxy. When I was in high school in the 60’s it was the gear-heads taunting each other over displacement, carburetors, differentials, horse power, clutches, tires, super chargers, well you name it. The difference today is that these types can spread their bullshit all over the universe with a single click. 
    Muntzwilliamlondonnetmagenapoleon_phoneaparthcrefugeetmaygilly017bluefire1Rayz2016albegarc
  • Reply 3 of 20
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The Max photos are outstanding. For me, this is much ado about nothing.
    Muntzwilliamlondonhcrefugeegilly017shark5150magman1979claire1jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    lkrupp said:
    Perfect example of bias confirmation. You see what you want to see, not what’s actually there. And I’d bet my next pension check that the same people complimenting those pictures were also commenting on how horrible the pictures were on iPhone X Max review videos. Never fear though, it’s the same as the shoe on the other foot with iPhone fans claiming superiority of their pictures over the Pixel 2 or Galaxy. When I was in high school in the 60’s it was the gear-heads taunting each other over displacement, carburetors, differentials, horse power, clutches, tires, super chargers, well you name it. The difference today is that these types can spread their bullshit all over the universe with a single click. 
    Well said Lkrupp. Couldn't say it any better. You got all these assholes who can now make a video moonlighting as 'tech journalists' and basically what they are doing is getting views and clicks for money. Really how many average iPhone users give a rat's ass about some trumped up problem labeled beautygate. Another iPhone cycle and lets see what problems we can create and cause an uproar about. Like the guy said it's a software issue and probably will receive a fix in an upcoming update. A bunch of losers  who don't produce anything except i hate to say it 'fake news.' Kudos to that YouTuber for calling out the BS.
    magman1979williamlondonclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    While many in the tech media are all over this beautygate thing, millions upon millions of ordinary people flock to their local Apple stores and are buying the XS and max, in droves. 
    I think we can let the dozens upon dozens of Youtubers and tech Illuminati at CNet/Verge etc. have their fun until they forget this gate and move on to the next gate. 
    IMO these #gates have been so overused that they’re loosing their lustre. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    agmsr said:
    Those shots would only trick someone who doesn't know what Pixel 2 selfies look like. The new iPhone selfies are noticeably smoother/translucent and warmer than Pixel 2 selfies, which are high-resolution but flatter/harsher than iPhone (I have a Pixel 2). The selfies above are obviously not Pixel 2 shots.

They probably didn’t even look at the photos. Just saw they were supposedly taken with a Pixel 2 and thus assumed they were better because everyone in the tech press bubble says the Pixel is best.
    lkruppmagman1979jony0
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Anybody got a count on how many “DON’T BUY THE IPHONE X MAX” videos there currently on YouTube?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    mkh25mkh25 Posts: 1member
    Could the camera be fixed with a simple iOS update? Like something in the software or would it have to be a completely new phone?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mkh25 said:
    Could the camera be fixed with a simple iOS update? Like something in the software or would it have to be a completely new phone?
    Who says anything has to be fixed other than anonymous posters on social media?
    magman1979williamlondonclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    Exactly. We're all guilty of this to varying degrees. Unfortunately, for many people iPhone vs Samsung (or pixel, or Huawei) os more of a religion than any sort of rational argument. This is just the latest example. 
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    <nelson>

HA HA!

</nelson>
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Nice sting.

I hope there is an update from Apple all the same, I find that the Xs is not as good as my previous SE in very dim conditions: where the SE got the exposure right almost always, the Xs consistently, and badly, under-exposes. This is an edge case but it may be related.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    agmsr said:
    Those shots would only trick someone who doesn't know what Pixel 2 selfies look like.
    It’s very easy to say that when you already know they weren’t taken with the Pixel. It’d be fairly funny if the dude came back and said that they were taken with the Pixel, and then later changed his mind and said they were actually taken with the P20.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    agmsr said:

Point is he said they were and the Pixel boys believed him. Now you’re here trying to spin it. You guys never give up do you.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Dennisv121Dennisv121 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    For me,it's the silence of apple that concerns,
    Why they are so arrogant and do not listen to the cries out there
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 20
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    agmsr said:
    Regardless, I found it was sad that people jump to their preconceived notion as soon as they read it.

Author: 'It's Pixel 2'
    Audience: 'Oh wow, much better than iPhone XS Max'
    Author: 'I lied, it's actually iPhone'
    Audience: 'I knew it, iPhone XS Max still crap.'
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    FWIW, when I see photos said to be taken on any given phone, I judge it on its merits as a photo. I'm quite comfortable saying that some kinds of shots look great on a Samsung Note 9, even though I wouldn't never own one (for other reasons). The Pixel 2's camera is fine, the Samsung [Galaxy 9 whatever] is fine, the iPhone X and the iPhone XS's camera are all fine for 99 percent of smartphone-camera use cases. All this YouTuber did was re-establish that the Apple haters are more biased that the Apple lovers.

I seriously doubt anyone out there has "selfie photo" as the key deciding factor in their smartphone purchase (as opposed to, say, operating system or price) ... and if there are such people, they are probably flocking to the smartphone that promises to make them look better than they really do! :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Android slaves are morons? YOU DON'T SAY?!?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    So Apple needs to listen to the android slaves and respond to social media memes?

One-post moron see your way out. >>>
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    claire1 said:
    So Apple needs to listen to the android slaves and respond to social media memes?

One-post moron see your way out. >>>
    "Why they are so arrogant" does stand out, eh? A couple ad-hom's tossed his way adds emphasis. 

Anyway, there was so little to the OP's post it's hard to tell what his point was and what he was referring to. I suspect English is not his first language just based on the sentence construction.  I'd personally give him a chance to explain. Might be trolling, maybe not. 
    edited October 2018