Rumor: Next-gen iPad Pro to feature 'Magnetic Connector,' USB-C, support new Apple Pencil

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2018
Later this month, Apple is expected to update its iPad Pro lineup with new models featuring Face ID biometric authentication and near bezel-less displays. According to the latest rumors, the redesigned tablets might also be equipped with a new "Magnetic Connector" and support for an updated Apple Pencil.

IPad Pro Rendering

Echoing long-standing rumors regarding the next generation of iPad Pro, 9to5Mac, citing sources familiar with the matter, reports the devices will indeed ditch the home button in favor of Face ID. Instead of carrying over the "notch" aesthetic introduced with iPhone X, the larger tablets will incorporate Apple's TrueDepth camera system in its bezel, a design facet that has previously been reported on multiple occasions.

The new devices will supposedly support 4K HDR output to external monitors and TVs over an integrated USB-C port. A new panel in the Settings app will enable control over resolution, brightness and HDR options, the report says. Previous rumors have hinted Apple intends to replace Lightning with USB-C as it looks to support higher bandwidth applications.

Another new tidbit from the report claims Apple is not only updating its Smart Connector to what the publication calls a "Magnetic Connector," but will relocate the port to iPad's rear. The new connector will supposedly support new accessories beyond the usual keyboard, though the report failed to detail what add-ons are expected.

Also rumored is a next-generation Apple Pencil that pairs when in close proximity to an iPad. The solution is in the same vein as AirPods or HomePod.

Sources identified this year's model identifiers as "iPad8,1," "iPad8,2," "iPad8,5" and "iPad8,6" for Wi-Fi only and "iPad8,1," "iPad8,4," "iPad8,7" and "iPad8,8" for cellular-enabled versions.

The report also confirms previous rumors regarding Face ID support in both portrait and landscape modes.

Apple is expected to announce a new slate of iPad Pro models at a special event later this month. Check out AppleInsider's analysis of the presumed October event for more details.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I'm skeptical about the USB-C reports, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. The Smart Connector is already magnetic, so ... not sure what the sources are talking about there.
    redgeminipawilliamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 29
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Has anyone heard what features a new Apple Pencil would have?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    What I hope for Apple Pencil:

- A design that nicely fits around your fingers. Not this bland, non-ergonomic ugly style pen.

- Wireless charging (+ docking) and the removal of the lightning connector, so the stupid cap you lose after the first day isn’t needed anymore, and you don’t have to stick a pen in the back of your iPad.

- Back-side for secondary function (e.g erase using the backside of the pen).

• Reply 4 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member

- A design that nicely fits around your fingers. Not this bland, non-ergonomic ugly style pen.

- Wireless charging (+ docking) and the removal of the lightning connector, so the stupid cap you lose after the first day isn’t needed anymore, and you don’t have to stick a pen in the back of your iPad.

To me all of the above Stretch goals.
    - A case that doubles as Airpods case with wireless charging for both.

CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 5 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    I'm hoping that Apple can incorporate that tiny Chinese computer chip somehow. Perhaps I could glue that chip under my fingernail and I wouldn't need an Apple Pencil any more. Oh, wait.

• Reply 6 of 29
    I'm not sure how I feel about them ditching lightning. It sounds like this is a way of forcing people who already own a pencil to buy a new one. If they're adding output to monitors I'm beginning to think they might be choosing to allow iPads to do double duty as home computers, which would be really cool. Imagine if your iOS device could become a track pad and connect to a keyboard by bluetooth. At the same time this would clearly risk eating into the Mac lineup's sales. But they've always claimed they're not afraid of one product line eating the other. (I mean the iPhone, the iPad and the Watch all worked to kill the iPod.) At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing macOS features move over to iOS if they allow for a pointer in iOS.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 29
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Appleinsider only ever mentions iPad Pro being updated this year. So what are the 8 new model IDs?
  • Reply 8 of 29
    hentaiboy said:
    Appleinsider only ever mentions iPad Pro being updated this year. So what are the 8 new model IDs?

Wifi-Only, Wifi-Cellular for each storage tier and size combinations
  • Reply 9 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member

hentaiboy said:
    With four models in line (eight including the cellular versions), perhaps the iPad mini is not dead after all. Making it bezel-less will put it in the 8.5-8.7" class at least, differentiating it even more from the large phones.
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 29
    hentaiboy said:

Wifi-Only, Wifi-Cellular for each storage tier and size combinations
    Storage tiers don’t have different IDs.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    pb said:

hentaiboy said:
    With four models in line (eight including the cellular versions), perhaps the iPad mini is not dead after all. Making it bezel-less will put it in the 8.5-8.7" class at least, differentiating it even more from the large phones.
    I can’t see the Mini and base iPad getting Face ID this year. Minor spec bumps?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    hentaiboy said:
    pb said:

hentaiboy said:
    I can’t see the Mini and base iPad getting Face ID this year. Minor spec bumps?
    We cannot of course know, but it is logical to assume that the mini, if it finally gets updated, will receive only part of the rumored specifications. A surprise is not impossible of course. However, making it bezel-less is a substantial update on its own. We will see.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member

Would be nice if they add an eraser.  The Pen of my Surface device has one, and it's very nice to have it, specially for note taking and PDF annotations. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 29
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    I'm not sure how I feel about them ditching lightning. It sounds like this is a way of forcing people who already own a pencil to buy a new one.
    Because there wont be an adaptor available to charge?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    foljs said:
    I'm not sure how I feel about them ditching lightning. It sounds like this is a way of forcing people who already own a pencil to buy a new one.
    Because there wont be an adaptor available to charge?

For sure. And it will only set you back $19.99.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Would buy a pro in a heartbeat if the choices weren’t so HUGE! They won’t make a pro mini because Apple found it ate into their profits, but that’s what I want.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    Out of all the new offerings this year, I'm the most excited about the new iPad offerings.  My Gen 1 iPad Pro 12.9 still works nicely (especially after iOS 12), but something a bit smaller (still 12.9 but with very narrow bezels) would be welcomed, along with top-notch performance.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Would buy a pro in a heartbeat if the choices weren’t so HUGE! They won’t make a pro mini because Apple found it ate into their profits, but that’s what I want.

I never bought the whole “ipad mini would eat into their profits argument.” I mean, eat into what profits? The larger ipads? The larger iphones? Doesn’t make any sense. If that were true, then you could say the same thing about the 10.5” ipad eating into the 12.9” ipad’s profits. Or the smaller iphone XS canabalizing the iphone XS Max. It’s silly.

I wish Apple would update the ipad mini tho. At least give it a faster chip and pencil support. For me, it’s the perfect travel size ipad. Maybe Apple feels that the 6.5” iPhone XS Max is the new portable ipad mini? I dunno. But it doesn’t have pencil support and even if it did, it’d be too small for a digital sketchbook. The 7.9” ipad mini is just right.

ideally, if Apple slimmed the bezels on the ipad mini making it an 8.5” screen with pencil support, it’d really be perfect.

Alas, i am not Apple...and this probably won’t happen. But Apple...if you’re listening...

edited October 2018
  • Reply 19 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    That would fly in the face of their long-time strategy that if you're not cannibalizing sales of your own products, somebody else will.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    IMHO USB-C makes sense if they're going to continue marketing the iPad Pro to enterprise customers. Lightning is a great connector, but USB-C opens up even more connectivity options. It would be great if they could find an elegant way to implement both, but that's unlikely to happen. It would be very interesting if they created an Apple USB-C dock/hub that allowed the iPad Pro to better serve as a PC replacement a la Samsung DeX. With all the work they're putting into bringing iOS apps to macOS, pretty sure they have the ability to bring over mouse/trackpad support to iOS apps. It would be limited at first, of course, but imagine the disruption to many corporate PC and IT deployments. There are a lot of users out there that an iPad Pro is more than adequately powerful to serve their computing needs.