Rumor: Next-gen iPad Pro to feature 'Magnetic Connector,' USB-C, support new Apple Pencil

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    roake said:
    Has anyone heard what features a new Apple Pencil would have?
    Hopefully a lower price.
    Bought one for my iPad Pro and am less than impressed with the device or the price.

Love the iPad Pro, but would love to see a bigger (desktop) version to compete with the Surface Studio.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    chasm said:
    I'm skeptical about the USB-C reports, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. The Smart Connector is already magnetic, so ... not sure what the sources are talking about there.
    I’ve long said the SmartConnector appears to be a way to add a physical connection that is portless. The report appears to be suggesting a new magnetic connector, indicating that like the SmartConnector it will still be magnetic, but not to be confused with the smart connector. 

So Apple could drop Lightning with such a connector, designed to support USB 2, charging, audio, etc. — basically everything Lightning does now, but with a magnetic connector in roughly the same location on the device. It solves a lot of problems on the iPhone in particular, but it theoretically allows them to replace Lightning with USB-C without putting more holes in it, though I’m really skeptical about them changing to it this soon. I do think it’s inevitable on the iPad as a Mac replacement, but we’ll never likely see it on the iPhone.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I'm not sure how I feel about them ditching lightning. It sounds like this is a way of forcing people who already own a pencil to buy a new one. If they're adding output to monitors I'm beginning to think they might be choosing to allow iPads to do double duty as home computers, which would be really cool. Imagine if your iOS device could become a track pad and connect to a keyboard by bluetooth. At the same time this would clearly risk eating into the Mac lineup's sales. But they've always claimed they're not afraid of one product line eating the other. (I mean the iPhone, the iPad and the Watch all worked to kill the iPod.) At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing macOS features move over to iOS if they allow for a pointer in iOS.
    I've been wondering this some time myself since the Nintendo Switch was first announced. True, an iPad and iPhone is not up to the same level as a desktop/laptop but it can get general deveryday tasks done. For example (besides Nintendo Switch) you have the Samsung Dex Station which allows the samsung galaxy to use mouse, keyboard, and monitor. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    foljs said:
    I'm not sure how I feel about them ditching lightning. It sounds like this is a way of forcing people who already own a pencil to buy a new one.
    Because there wont be an adaptor available to charge?
    Great, another adapter.

One design flaw/shortcoming of the current pencil is that while it has an female-female adapter so you can charge it with a regular lightning cable, it has no way to store it so you're left with something about the size of a Tic Tac rolling around a desk drawer. A better design would have been to keep the female-female adapter on the end of the pencil and have the magnetic cap attach on the end of that - that way both options are readily available.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    hentaiboy said:
    pb said:

hentaiboy said:
    Appleinsider only ever mentions iPad Pro being updated this year. So what are the 8 new model IDs?
    With four models in line (eight including the cellular versions), perhaps the iPad mini is not dead after all. Making it bezel-less will put it in the 8.5-8.7" class at least, differentiating it even more from the large phones.
    I can’t see the Mini and base iPad getting Face ID this year. Minor spec bumps?
    I think it is possible to see an new Mini in the near future.  It may not support the pencil, but could have edge to edge display (providing a reason for existing users to upgrade).
  • Reply 26 of 29
    MplsP said:
    Great, another adapter.
    For me it would be one LESS cable to carry around. I already have USB-C power and data cables for my MacBook Pro. Needing a different connector for iPhone and iPad is a nuisance. Yesterday I unplugged my laptop and, without thinking, tried to plug the cord into my iPhone. Apparently something in my unconscious mind thinks I should be able to use the same connector for both. I think it would be handy to have USB-C connectors on my iDevices.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    foljs said:
    I'm not sure how I feel about them ditching lightning. It sounds like this is a way of forcing people who already own a pencil to buy a new one.
    Because there wont be an adaptor available to charge?
    I hardly ever charge my Apple Pencil on my iPad. 
    I use the little adapter that came in the box. 
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Is there anybody else but me who would like a larger ipadPro ?? 14 oder 15“ would be great...
  • Reply 29 of 29
    bohler said:
    Is there anybody else but me who would like a larger ipadPro ?? 14 oder 15“ would be great...
    Depends... weight?

My wife has a 12.9" Pro, and while I like the screen real estate, it's just a bit too heavy for my liking. Then again she has the Apple keyboard hanging off hers. I don't know if that adds enough weight to take it from comfortable to feeling a little awkward, but maybe.

Anyway, I'd be interested in a larger screen, but only if Apple could find a way to make it lighter than existing models. I don't know how they'd do that.