Microsoft axes Minecraft for Apple TV, no one notices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member

When the Apple TV launched with tvOS, I did try a couple of games on it. However, the limitation of the Remote as a controller was a deterrent and I stopped playing any games after the first week or so. I'm sure there are a lot of others like that.

This was essentially my experience as well.I was willing to put up with the Siri remote, and I do like my AppleTV. But I use it far less now that I have a Roku with a Roku remote. About all I use my Apple TV for now is when there is a hiccup with the Roku; or to stream from a local computer. Using the Siri remote for some sort of gaming entertainment was a bridge too far. It wasn't fun at all.

This is really the case with Siri too. I just don't use it. After trying things I thought would be simple, I get a lot of responses like "here are some options." Meh. I coulda typed that into the Google. I use Siri with CarPlay, even though the last time I asked Siri for directions, she simply ignored me 6x times, never displaying the route at all. It just didn't work.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    How many 10-year olds have an Apple TV?
    baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 32
    We're no way gamers in my household, but we do utilize them on the ATV with our daughter. However, our daughter is a faithful Minecraft player and at times we would play together - Her on her iPad, me with a Steelseries Nimbus controller while in the same world on the ATV. We'll just have to use our iPads for Minecraft! She's still a little salty that Apple discontiuned the Disney Infinity for ATV.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    My son played Minecraft on our AppleTV for a while.  But he prefers his PS4 or an iPhone while mobile.  Don’t ask me why.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    For this particular game and perhaps others I think there is a demographic problem. While demographic numbers may not be reliable it looks like over 40% of Minecraft players are 21 or under. I haven't seen the demographic numbers for the apple TV but my guess is that most of the buyers for Apple TV's are 25 and over. So most of the Minecraft players are not going to go out and buy an Apple TV as there are other easier ways to play it such as PC's etc that a younger demographic already has access to.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Me and a few family members play Minecraft on Apple TV. The A10 chip is very capable to play this low res game.

It's sad that the game that was supposed to show off Apple TVs power(Sky) still hasn't released a year later....

The "top games on Apple TV" lists are even more depressing as they mention games that are 4 years old and some even from the 90s!!!(Sonic).
    Fu**ing sad!!

Meanwhile iPhone is getting low CPU games daily like Stardew Valley. Almost all games that are compatible with Apple TV skip Apple TV. Where's GTA? Angry Birds(Touchpad control would be perfect!)? Mario Run TV? Fortnite? and the other 100 thousand games?

cr8tiv1 said:
    We're no way gamers in my household, but we do utilize them on the ATV with our daughter. However, our daughter is a faithful Minecraft player and at times we would play together - Her on her iPad, me with a Steelseries Nimbus controller while in the same world on the ATV. We'll just have to use our iPads for Minecraft! She's still a little salty that Apple discontiuned the Disney Infinity for ATV.

Apple didn't discontinue Disney Infinity.

bikertwin said:
    Perhaps Apple purposely limited Apple TV for games (size limits, controller limits) specifically so that it wouldn’t be compared to an Xbox (which it’s not). Apple wanted casual games which would be easy to use & learn, be very fast & smooth, and not require extra hardware.

Apple builds platforms slowly, but methodically.

Some day when, say, the A20 is more powerful than anything in an Xbox, Apple may then have an Apple TV Pro or Gaming version that will pull out all the stops. Now is not the time.
    My theory is, Apple is waiting until one of their newer chips (A12) becomes more affordable and they will go all in on gaming. I don't think Apple wants a gaming machine out that can't play the latest Doom or Resident Evil etc.

I don't know why but every time I mention Apple building a gaming chip everyone hates it. Apple TV isn't a mobile device. It doesn't have to be razor thin. They can beef up the box with an A12G (gaming) chip and more ram/specs than iPhone. Add Taptic Engine to the Siri Remote, M processor for fitness games and include FaceID tech for silly karaoke games, Motion control, FaceTime etc.

With all the tech Apple owns they can destroy the competition.

Look at this beautiful game that the comparable Switch can run:

Apple TV can run something similar but no one, including Apple, are putting in the effort!!
    Imagine that game in 4k Dolby Vision?!!

edited October 2018
  • Reply 27 of 32
    > according to a splash screen that -- ironically -- has been displayed in-game for weeks without mention from mainstream media You need to look of irony again. Because the whole problem is that no one plays Minecraft on Apple TV, it is not ironic that it took weeks for anyone to notice. It would have been ironic if it had been noticed early and people actually cared. As it is, not being noticed is the expected result.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    AppleInsider said:
    Some have criticized Apple for its inability to successfully market Apple TV as a casual gaming console. 

When the fourth-generation Apple TV initially launched, Apple required all games support the Siri Remote as well as optional MFi controllers. This policy made it exceedingly difficult for developers to bring more complex games to tvOS, as the Siri Remote is severely limiting and even a bit slow.
    Bingo. Self-fulfilling prophecy like so many other of Apple's initiatives these days. Who want's to play Minecraft with crappy controls, or invest in a bunch of MFi controllers?

If they really want better gaming to take off, just make Apple TV (and iOS devices) compatible with PlayStation and Xbox controllers. But, that would be smart (and dumb to the licensing bean-counters).
  • Reply 29 of 32
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I like Minecraft but is it really that big of a deal it's not on AppleTV?

From the perspective of the Apple TV, it kinda is. The fact is that there were hopes that the Apple TV would become a casual gaming console, but Apple made it hard.

Initially, there was the requirement that every game on the Apple TV had to work with the Apple TV Remote and not just dedicated controllers. That complicated things to quite a large extent.

Apple later removed that requirement, but it may have been a little late to do so.

The Apple TV is consolidating itself as a content streaming console and that is fine. It's just that there was potential that seems to have been squandered.

When the Apple TV launched with tvOS, I did try a couple of games on it. However, the limitation of the Remote as a controller was a deterrent and I stopped playing any games after the first week or so. I'm sure there are a lot of others like that.

Had Apple launched tvOS with a dedicated gaming controller, enough game developers would have invested more into the platform, thereby giving it Wii like credibility and making it the console of choice for casual gamers.

I like Minecraft but is it really that big of a deal it's not on AppleTV?

From the perspective of the Apple TV, it kinda is. The fact is that there were hopes that the Apple TV would become a casual gaming console, but Apple made it hard.

Initially, there was the requirement that every game on the Apple TV had to work with the Apple TV Remote and not just dedicated controllers. That complicated things to quite a large extent.

Apple later removed that requirement, but it may have been a little late to do so.

The Apple TV is consolidating itself as a content streaming console and that is fine. It's just that there was potential that seems to have been squandered.

Had Apple launched tvOS with a dedicated gaming controller, enough game developers would have invested more into the platform, thereby giving it Wii like credibility and making it the console of choice for casual gamers.

Yeah, a missed opportunity on Apple’s part.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    the Apple TV is too expensive, and over-engineered. It is also unlikely to replace Playstation or Xbox in front of the TV for gaming. In fact, I find Apples movies offerings on Itunes way overpriced compared to the likes of Netflix or Amazon, with Apple charging almost as much per film, as it costs to do a month on Netflix.. As far as TV goes, I see the only logical things for Apple to do are buy out a streaming competitor like Netflix to get a share of the streaming market. The Apple TV also needs to be simpler and cheaper. Making it way more expensive , with its fancy and proprietary gaming controller is not the way to go. I have heard it said in the past that Apple treat the Apple TV like a hobby, that is still the case now. They develop it, but it lacks commitment and direction.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 31 of 32
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    rossb2 said:
    ... The Apple TV also needs to be simpler and cheaper. Making it way more expensive , with its fancy and proprietary gaming controller is not the way to go. I have heard it said in the past that Apple treat the Apple TV like a hobby, that is still the case now. They develop it, but it lacks commitment and direction.
    For sure. It's just sad because it would be so easy to make it a popular device.