About a fifth of Android phone owners plan to switch to an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Something to consider is a new iPhone owner probably already knows that their next phone will be an iPhone, whether they upgrade in a year or four. A Samsung owner probably already knows that their next phone will be Android but it depends on which phones are out when they next upgrade which brand it'll be. I couldn't find the original research but if it is interviewing any phone owner, not someone already in the purchase cycle, it's not a well designed survey. You can read this both ways. About a fifth of phone users are thinking of switching platforms for their next phone, whether they're iOS or Android users. It's not desperately difficult these days to do so.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Something to consider is a new iPhone owner probably already knows that their next phone will be an iPhone, whether they upgrade in a year or four. A Samsung owner probably already knows that their next phone will be Android but it depends on which phones are out when they next upgrade which brand it'll be. I couldn't find the original research but if it is interviewing any phone owner, not someone already in the purchase cycle, it's not a well designed survey. You can read this both ways. About a fifth of phone users are thinking of switching platforms for their next phone, whether they're iOS or Android users. It's not desperately difficult these days to do so.
    If the survey is to be believed ( I don't) and 70% of current iPhone owners plan to buy another iPhone when it comes time to update what are the other 30% planning to do? The only option outside of dumping a phone altogether is to switch platforms. That means moving over to Android. Does DED really want to hang his hat on that pole? 
    edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 44
    SpychallaSpychalla Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The list has a mistake, Lenovo IS Motorola! They should have been one category instead of 2 since Motorola was bought up by them some time ago.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Most smartphone buyers tend to stick with the platform they're familiar with.
    But most smart phone buyers buy iPhones. ;)
    edited October 2018 claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    cpsro said:
    Are they? If I look to the main things I use a smartphone for, I think it is the opposite.  A $300 Android device is perfectly suited for browsing, emailing, banking, e-commerce, playing music and taking occasionally some photos. Even most games run smoothly on such a device. 
  • Reply 26 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cropr said:
    cpsro said:
    Are they? If I look to the main things I use a smartphone for, I think it is the opposite.  A $300 Android device is perfectly suited for browsing, emailing, banking, e-commerce, playing music and taking occasionally some photos. Even most games run smoothly on such a device. 
    He left out a word. He meant to say that most smart smartphone buyers buy iPhones. see how that works out?
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

gatorguy said:
    If the survey is to be believed ( I don't) and 70% of current iPhone owners plan to buy another iPhone when it comes time to update what are the other 30% planning to do? The only option outside of dumping a phone altogether is to switch platforms. That means moving over to Android. Does DED really want to hang his hat on that pole? 
    The numbers that I see around are that about 90+% of iPhone buyers will buy another iPhone. About, on average, 75% of Android buyers will buy the SAME BRAND Android phone again.about 80% will buy another Android phone of any brand.

the problem with these surveys is that people answer them with aspirational answers. They may want to buy an iPhone next time, instead of another Android phone, but many of them will just rinse and repeat.
    muthuk_vanalingamclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Leaving aside the question of accuracy, interpreting this study comes down to basic math. It says that 30% of iphone users are LEAVING the platform. If 20% of android users are leaving android (and ignoring meaningless BB and MS options), the net flow of users depends on the proportion of the market each already has. It's simple algebra. To find the tipping point where net flow is even, solve these simultaneous equations.

a=fraction of market using android
    i=fraction of market using ios
    a + i = 1 (they own the whole market, basically) so a = 1 - i
    .3i = .2a (this is the point where ios and android loss would be even) so
    i = .2/.3 a = .666a

Combining the two,
    i = .666a = .666 (1 - i) = .666 - .666i
    1.666i = .666 ... i = .666/1.666 = .3997 but taking into account rounding, .4 ... which makes intuitive sense.

This means, as long as Apple has <40% of overall marketshare, these are winning numbers for Apple. At 41% or more, it's losing.

So the big question now is, in which country(ies) was that survey taken? In the US/Canada/Japan it would spell disaster. Most other places it would be a big win.
    edited October 2018 kevin kee
  • Reply 29 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    It's well known that most Android users base their phone purchased on price alone.  It's also well known that those that can afford an iPhone, will buy an iPhone.  This is basically a rehash of the same store we've been reading for years.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Leaving aside the question of accuracy, interpreting this study comes down to basic math. It says that 30% of iphone users are LEAVING the platform. If 20% of android users are leaving android (and ignoring meaningless BB and MS options), the net flow of users depends on the proportion of the market each already has. It's simple algebra. To find the tipping point where net flow is even, solve these simultaneous equations.

a=fraction of market using android
    i=fraction of market using ios
    a + i = 1 (they own the whole market, basically) so a = 1 - i
    .3i = .2a (this is the point where ios and android loss would be even) so
    i = .2/.3 a = .666a

Combining the two,
    i = .666a = .666 (1 - i) = .666 - .666i
    1.666i = .666 ... i = .666/1.666 = .3997 but taking into account rounding, .4 ... which makes intuitive sense.

This means, as long as Apple has <40% of overall marketshare, these are winning numbers for Apple. At 41% or more, it's losing.

So the big question now is, in which country(ies) was that survey taken? In the US/Canada/Japan it would spell disaster. Most other places it would be a big win.
    The survey says 10% of iPhone users don’t know. Only 20% said they were leaving.
    claire1
  • Reply 31 of 44
    [...]

The survey says 10% of iPhone users don’t know. Only 20% said they were leaving.
    Good point, and that does change the numbers, but not all that much, as android users have a similar "don't know" contingent. The point remains that the numbers in ths story are meaningless unless you know the market share of ios vs. android where the survey was taken. Preferably, broken down by country.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 32 of 44
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member

About a third of iPhone owners plan to switch to something other than an iPhone, but only a fifth of Android phone owners plan to switch to an iPhone

Fixed the headline based on the third paragraph.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    clexman said:

About a third of iPhone owners plan to switch to something other than an iPhone, but only a fifth of Android phone owners plan to switch to an iPhone

Fixed the headline based on the third paragraph.
    There are 5 times more Android users, so you get much more Iphone users, so frack off now bud.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    I am currently using both iPhone and SumSung. For some functions, I think iPhone is not as smart as Galaxy. 
    Both iPhone and Android phones are becoming more and more expensive.
    I am wondering why the price is sill rising even if the market volume is declining. 

• Reply 35 of 44
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    JustSomeGuy1 is correct.

A ⅓ of iPhone users who plan not to choose iPhone are still way below in numbers compare to a ⅕ of Android users who plan to move to iPhone... in INDIA or CHINA. So this is a big win for Apple. But if the survey takes place in US, not so much for Apple. Needless to say, if it is globally, it is still a big win for Apple (http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/mobile/worldwide). Still, saying is one thing, do it is another thing.

• Reply 36 of 44
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    It's like asking someone who has a fake gold chain if they want a real one.
    Most iKnockoff users WANT the real thing, most can't have it.

My mom hates her sh**ty iKnockoff. It lags, displays ads on the lock screen, asks for confirmation before doing anything and is a customized mess!
    When it's time to buy another phone guess what she will do?
    Well based on past purchases she'll just buy another iWannabe spyware machine for 50 bucks vs. a $1,000 iPhone.

I almost feel like buying her an iPhone but she destroys everything she owns.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Forgot to mention,
    If 1% of iPhone users planned to switch to Google pre-Pixel 3 reveal...... ouch. I can see the number dropping to less than .1%

#UglyGate
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 38 of 44
    claire1 said:
    It's like asking someone who has a fake gold chain if they want a real one.
    Most iKnockoff users WANT the real thing, most can't have it.

My mom hates her sh**ty iKnockoff. It lags, displays ads on the lock screen, asks for confirmation before doing anything and is a customized mess!
    When it's time to buy another phone guess what she will do?
         Not buying another Amazon phone with lock-screen ads would be a good start. Shocked that anyone is really happy with those as they weren't good BEFORE Amazon "customized" them. The target market are those folks who want a smartphone but at the cheapest price possible.

Tell her to add another $50-$100 and buy a good mid-range one, perhaps something from Nokia or Moto for under $300, or better yet be that good daughter (son?) and go buy her an iPhone. You can afford it.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 39 of 44
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    ..and that's been reported to be possible but even true for a very long time. By now Android would presumably have disappeared based on all the claims of them switching to iOS by the millions dating back years.

I've seen surveys that claim over 60% of all teenagers already own an iPhone, others that say 80% are buying one. I've seen surveys that say most current iPhone owners will be upgrading to "the new iPhone" pretty much every year, another that says half of all current iPhone owners will upgrade this year, and then another that says only about 20% will upgrade within the next 12 months. Apparently surveys might be unreliable. Who knew?
    If Android were important as a platform, Google wouldn't have dumped it for a ChromeOS tablet. But what were you saying about teenagers buying iPhones? It didn't make any sense.

Yeah I know that claim of 80% of teenagers owning iPhones didn't make sense to me either, yet there is it:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than-80-percent-of-teens-own-iphone-survey-says/

I've no idea where you read that Google dumped Android for ChromeOS. Hardly. They've worked towards making Android apps compatible with the Chrome OS which has significant benefits over an Android-only tablet (doesn't everything? LOL). Surely you research this stuff before writing it.
    I know you have no interest in truth, but as I wrote about 5 years ago, Google (now lead by the head Chrome OS leader Pinchai, after kicking out Rubin, the Android guy) has continuously tried to make ChromeOS work while stepping away from Android.

It began shoveling millions of units of ChromeOS netbooks into schools--not Android devices. It developed the Pixel C tablet for ChromeOS, then last minute put Android on it because ChromeOS wasn't ready. After that product failed and Google dropped all support for it. Now it has a new ChromeOS tablet and no Android tablets at all--and isn't even talking about Android on a tablet anymore. 

Google cares as much about Android as its largest Android licensee, Samsung, which is putting Tizen on every device, watch, & TV it can and only uses Android on phones because it can't sell them without Android. Both desperately want to dump Android as an OS, as badly as Microsoft wanted to dump DOS for NT in the 90s but couldn't.

So when you stay "I've no idea where you read that Google dumped Android for ChromeOS" it really shows what little you know about even the company you worship and make excuses for daily as an anonymous commenter at (ahem) AppleInsider. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    ..and that's been reported to be possible but even true for a very long time. By now Android would presumably have disappeared based on all the claims of them switching to iOS by the millions dating back years.

I've seen surveys that claim over 60% of all teenagers already own an iPhone, others that say 80% are buying one. I've seen surveys that say most current iPhone owners will be upgrading to "the new iPhone" pretty much every year, another that says half of all current iPhone owners will upgrade this year, and then another that says only about 20% will upgrade within the next 12 months. Apparently surveys might be unreliable. Who knew?
    If Android were important as a platform, Google wouldn't have dumped it for a ChromeOS tablet. But what were you saying about teenagers buying iPhones? It didn't make any sense.

Yeah I know that claim of 80% of teenagers owning iPhones didn't make sense to me either, yet there is it:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than-80-percent-of-teens-own-iphone-survey-says/

I've no idea where you read that Google dumped Android for ChromeOS. Hardly. They've worked towards making Android apps compatible with the Chrome OS which has significant benefits over an Android-only tablet (doesn't everything? LOL). Surely you research this stuff before writing it.
    ...make excuses for daily as an anonymous commenter at (ahem) AppleInsider. 
    ...in a thread discussing Android on AppleInsider Corrections. 
    edited October 2018